Hot Spots

ncarter

i know this topic has probably been done before but I was wondering what is the best way to prevent hotspots occuring?

Can you use ACV internally or externally?

If hot spots occur in winter what is the most likely cause?

Cheers any help much appreciated

Edited by ncarter

I dont know a whole heap about them, but I do groom a samoyed who gets them on and off during the year. Poor thing, she normally has about 3 on her at once, ouch !!!!

The vets apparently advised to change her diet , (I think she had to feed her more fish) and it seemed to clear them up within a few weeks.

Other on DOL will know more about the diet change and how it actually prevents hot spots.

i know this topic has probably been done before but I was wondering what is the best way to prevent hotspots occuring?

Natural diet I believe to be effective.

You can use the ACV both internally and externally - but not on broken skin :eek:

1 tsp of ACV a day either in drinking water or better mixed in with food.

:)

The best prevention I found was making sure my dogs were kept dry.

My dogs (double coated breed) are prone to them in wet humid weather. I try to keep them inside out of the rain and if they do go out and get themselves wet I make sure they are thoroughly dried.

We bought one of the forced air dryers and it's out best friend in hot spot weather.

Many dogs with a sensitivity to wheat, red meat, other grains often come out in hot spots. It can also happen if they have flea allergies or are bitten by other creepy crawlys. Can also happen if the dot is a itchy scratchy type. Have been rough in play etc.

Basically there isn't any one reason why dogs get hot spots. ACV inside and out is good, you can also dab it onto the hot spot itself. The zinc powder (heat rash type powder) is also very very good - as often as not you don't even have to clip back the fur if you use it. I've also used antiseptic powder with the same effect.

I wish the thread had been started about 2 weeks ago!

My ACD developed hot spots either side of her neck due to the new pup grabbing and hanging off- rough play really. Its cleared up after a shave, visit to the vet and less playing!

atleast I know what to do next time now!

It does all sorts of things..everything from inner health to outer health - a couple of examples

Can help stop tear stains when ingested

Lessens the damage to lawn from peeing when ingested

Helps the metabolism when ingested

Can be used to stop stings/bites hurting when used topically

Used to dry out hotspots when used topically

If you do a search of this forum oodles of threads will come up with info and links etc :thumbsup:

I agree with most, keep the fleas under control and you can generally keep on top of hot spots. But if your four legged friend is like mine and allergic to flea saliva, one bite is all it takes. After 14 years of hot spots and going back and forth to the vet, I have found the best way to control then on my boy is: I put knitted booties on his back feet to aid in the not scratching, rather than prednisone (Rocky gets very gassy and bloated from that medication) I use an over the counter anti-histamine (advised by two vets) and aloe vera gel smeared on the spots. If it's his tummy I cut the fur away so the gel can really get in there, but on his back I just massage it in as much as I can. Unfortunately, one side effect is; it stains the fur for a few weeks afterward, especially if it's a white dog. That is beneficial to me and my pooch, I hope it helps.

Zoom

Cheers any help much appreciated

Balance the acids in the dog by feeding a tomato in the diet for a while, it works Garry