Balanced Trainer?

What do you think, balanced trainer means?

A trainer who will apply a balance of R+ and P+ and R- and P- as appropriate to the individual dog's training with consideration of temperament being taken into account.

Question two...do you think you are the best trainer you could ever be?

Heck no! There is ALWAYS more to learn and room to be better. Always.

Just pondering.

What brings you to this ponderment, LL?

Lablover,this my interpretation of a balanced Trainer.

Somebody who has had experience with a wide range of Dogs.

Somebody who can see where the Dog is up right to now.

Somebody who can recognise residual effects from the past on the Dog.

Somebody Somebody who can see exactly what awareness level the Dog owner has.

Somebody who can sucessfully blend the Dog owners eductation,expectations of the Dog and training of the Dog so that all involved grow in awareness,ability and confidence.

Somebody who has no bias as far as training methodology,leaving them free to select the best approach based on the Individual dogs temperament,age,past experience and ability.

I am not the best Trainer I could be.Nobody is the best Trainer we could ever be.Everybody who is honest,rational and aware will admit being the best is a continual and ongoing process. Tony

Great posts. I particularly like this line

Somebody who has no bias as far as training methodology,leaving them free to select the best approach based on the Individual dogs temperament,age,past experience and ability.

I am probably the worst trainer i will ever be right now. I was better years ago and hope to be much better in the future.

I dont think it is ever possible to be the best you can be because training is always a work in progress. There is always something to learn no matter how much experince you have. You think you understand something well and then you will come across another way of thinking or another dog who throws your theories out the window.

Q1. balanced trainer = a person who doesn't take a "one size fits all" approach to training dogs and handlers, who can draw on a range of tools and experience, who recognises dog training is as much about training handlers as dogs and who can see a place for thoughtful and appropriate use of positives and aversives in achieving training outcomes. A balanced trainer to me is also someone who knows their limits, regardless of their skill level.

Q2. Nope, nowhere near being a great trainer. Every dog, every class teaches new skills and I've got a range of goals for myself that I have yet to achieve.

:thumbsup: Right on the money there Tonymc

Question two...do you think you are the best trainer, you could ever be?

Absolutely..................................................

..no way! :laugh: Lots to learn still!

Lablover,this my interpretation of a balanced Trainer.

Somebody who has had experience with a wide range of Dogs.

Somebody who can see where the Dog is up right to now.

Somebody who can recognise residual effects from the past on the Dog.

Somebody Somebody who can see exactly what awareness level the Dog owner has.

Somebody who can sucessfully blend the Dog owners eductation,expectations of the Dog and training of the Dog so that all involved grow in awareness,ability and confidence.

I am not the best Trainer I could be.Nobody is the best Trainer we could ever be.Everybody who is honest,rational and aware will admit being the best is a continual and ongoing process. Tony

Nice post Tony :thumbsup:

Being willing and able to use best approach to training the particular dog in question. Not restricted to using (or attempting to use) solely (or mainly) a particular ideology. Frankly - the way people like Moxon were training dogs decades ago, before the field got hijacked by the current bunch of trendy new age #$*%)!@#, sprouting their version of pseudo-scientific bull.

What brings you to this ponderment, LL?

I was initially pondering if it is possible to learn any more theory. I often wonder where dog training will be in 50 to 100 years. I will not be around. :laugh:

Practical training is much more fun. Retrieving trials SUCK though. Yo was naughty in the last trial, on the last test. Totally out of control. Yank I thought would have placed higher than 4th, as he was the only dog not to be handled on any mark. He did have two large hunts on marks (seen birds). Yank is a fun ride, reminds me of the ex racers I used to buy straight off the track.

Regarding balanced trainers.......um.......err.... the line sounds as though trainers, whether they are amateurs or professionals continuously see saw.

Thanks everyone for your input.