Thanks PW and BC :thumbsup:

You're right, I am getting used to it... the fur on his back feels SO SOFT now... :laugh:

I know I mucked up his tail, but oh well. Now I will be able to brush it properly as it grows back and hopefully won't have any problems (it was matted from the time I first got him from rescue and although brushing improved it, I couldn't get it perfectly unknotted so I decided the fur just had to go lol)

Question about the slicker brush... is it possible that I purchased the 'wrong' type of slicker brush, because it's very scratchy when I felt it on my arm. I was trying to see why he hated it, and it was suggested it could be hurting him. Are there different bristle types on different slicker brushes? Maybe I need to get the soft slicker brush from petnetwork. I am just really hesitant to brush him too hard with the one I have at the moment, unless that's how slicker brushes are meant to be? The bristles are made from a thin wire type material. Or maybe I'm worrying too much?

Thanks for the tips about the clippers... I didn't realise that going with or against the hair growth would make a difference in length lol

He was a pain to clip... seriously... his coat seems to grow in every direction, and the coat on his back was SO THICK, as is the coat above his tail.

He is seriously like a sheep!

Although it's very cute, I am never going to let his coat get that long again. It took like, 2 hours all up to clipper him!

He looks so much lighter and cleaner and he feels softer now :rofl:

Much respect to poodle owners who clip their poodles themselves!!!!

Edited by Blossom

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one of the 'Doggyman' brand of slickers in the photo- it has the wire you describe, but the wires come out of a cushion which flexes to be more gentle. If I use it on my arm it leaves little scratch marks (but not painful). If press it into the skin it doesn't hurt. Does that make sense?

Check out some other brands, but look for "extra soft" or "soft". Maybe start a thread and ask what brands other people use? The cheap supermarket ones are all too harsh (I bought one of those first :thumbsup:).

Takes me ages to clip, too. I get at least a plastic shopping bag full of fur off the mini poodle. You can imagine what it's like with the standard!

I think I will end up getting a Doggyman or Stylemaster Ultra Soft... I'm just trying to figure out if the Stylemaster will be any good - it's fairly cheap, not much more than I paid for the supermarket one... so I'm wondering about quality.

I may end up with a Doggyman. I started the thread you suggested, asking for more ideas. :laugh:

I can't believe you get a whole shopping bag full from your mini poodle... lol.. I can't imagine how much you'd get from your standard...

Edited by Blossom

Thank you Blossom, I went and made a chocolate cake instead lol...will try tomorrow. I had a poodle some years ago..she was just so easy to do..but I never clipped her body, just around the face, feet and tail, then used the sissors on her body. But Benji is another poodle, and I know he would never sit long enough for the sissors, I have #4 blade, and will try that over his body...and yes will put in pics after lol