• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Difficult to say without being there. If they were of a different type of hair then the rest of the body then yes it was his eyelashes. If it was don't panic as they will grow back as they fall out and replace themselves like ours do. Maybe you should try and keep the hair on his head and tail brushed every couple of days to prevent the matting... I would also check under his front legs as this is a problem area as well. Good luck!

yes they were eyelashes. They are no different to any other section of his fur and they will grow back as the rest of Blayds coat grows. Its personal preference about cutting them. If you like them short then cut them if you like them long then dont. Its not a health issue! hope thats helped from a groomers perspective. :)

thank you! glad it's not a health issue.

I was just worried that they might not grow back and he might have eye problems because of it or something!

I think I'm going to give him a REALLY short all over cut when I get him back from training, before the hot weather.

I LOVE his gorgeous curly coat, which I brush and check for ticks every night, but I want him to be as comfy as possible

Unless you want him to look shorn like a sheep, I'd be inclined to leave a little bit of length on the top of his head, and on his legs and perhaps his ears.

What blades have you got for you clippers?

Was I supposed to?

If I wasn't supposed to, will they grow back?

:) - so you did? Not to worry, they will definately grow back. We have some owners that are particularily fussy about the eyelashes, they want the brow/fringe trimmed but not the eyelashes. So I hold the eye lashes down with one hand and scissor the fringe with the other. Next time you can leave them or trim them again.

The groomer recommended a size 10 blade.

Maybe the groomer misunderstood you and thought the whole dog was matted. I generally use a #10 only for the groin area and under the armpits if needed.

For the body we get a lot of doodle owners requesting a #3 / #4 clip, because this does leave a little length so they can look 'scruffy'. But if you are worried about ticks in summer go for a #7, it will always grown back.

eta: just adding more info to PFs comments

a #40 is the shortest blade and is used before surgerys on dogs to clear the hair

#10 for groins

(the others; 8, 7, 5, 4)

#3 is currently the longest of the blades and although I should know the length off the top of my head I'm going to say it's about an inch long :thumbsup:

dog blade sizes work in reverse to human blade sizing.

Edited by Vehs

:) Dont go a 10#, it will look pretty much to the skin.

Shortest I go on an oodle is 5# This is short, but they are still a tad scruffy. I would suggest a 3# or 4#, nice summer all over clip.

Thanks.. forgot to mention that I'm in Central Queensland.. it can get over 40 degrees in Summer.. I'm not sure if that's why the groomer might have said to use a number 10?

She may have said the # 10 because she thought that the dog was heavily matted or gave you the # 10 blade as most clippers are purchased with a # 10 blade.

I would only use # 10 doing a tidy up around the face (poodle look), feet and private bits, under the armpits if matted. Leave the head longer (fuller) than the body and shape with curved scissors (depends on personal choice) invest in a #3-#4, (nice length) #5-#7 (short length) to use on the body and legs. You can scissor (long straight scissors) the legs instead of using the clippers for a fuller look to the legs. Try to get hold of a grooming book to get the idea where to use what blade. After a bit of practice you will get the hang of it. If you go back too short, it will grow back, just take a little longer.

Tip, when cutting around the fringe comb forward and shape around the fringe, don't comb back and trim, or it will look silly. The eye brows will grow back. Trim the ears and tail to desired length.

You may want to get adventurous and give your pooch a lion trim, # 10 will give a nice shaved bum. ( I have done this to my Maltese - just for fun, it was worth a laugh)

I have one particular labxpoodle owner at my salon who has her little boy done with a #10 all over. He is super active and down the beach all the time and hates being inside and would rather be out having fun so every 5 weeks through summer he get re clipped to keep him really short, then taken with a #3 in winter but he has his head off to the same length as the body and the tail an inch long. Its personal preference as to what you like the look of. If you dont want a full head, dont have one. If you want to #10 your dog considering ticks and heat then do it it you wont mind that look.

The biggest difference i see if the skip tooth to full is that the full generally gives a smoother look and less clipper lines in certain coats. hope thats helped.

What's the difference between a 'skip blade' and a 'full blade'?

Dont use the skip tooth until you are very confident in knowing what you're doing. They are a chunkier blade, with what looks like ever second tooth is missing. They can do damage if you use them incorrectly, due to the skip tooth skin can easily get between the teeth and slice open if used on the incorrect angle. They are normally used on the initial clip, prior to the bath, or to get under very matted hair.

I would go an F blade, eg 5F#, which is a finishing blade and leaves a lovely smooth finish.

Usually a groomer would use a skip tooth on the initial clip for example, wash and blow dry the dog, then finish the groom off with an F blade to get a smooth finish.

I will only use a skip tooth if I need to, otherwise I use and F blade for the entire groom.

dont forget to check how hot the blades get. for a labx poodle i would get at least 3 of the blades for a full body clip so you can keep swapping to cooler blades.

depending on what clippers you have and what speed you run them at will depend on how hot they get. also will depend on how fast you go at clipping.