• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would worry that a dog that has been done with a 10 and is in the sun a lot would get sunburn - use 5f.

No they don't :mad

I ALWAYS clip every dog I need to with a #10 blade. Maltese, Shih Tzu, Poodles (including my own), Lab x poos etc etc... anyone getting a haircut here gets it and never once had an issue with sunburn due to a short clip... they still have fur.. it's just bloody short. :laugh:

My Poodle was looking somewhat Rastafarian... now she looks somewhat long legged rat like :mad ... ok, so I am easily amused but it sure makes my life easier when they have nothing worth brushing and run around scrub and swim every day in summer! :laugh:

OscarskinnylegsDOL.jpg

This is a #5F body and legs :laugh:. The "chicken legs" clip :mad.

Learn from my mistakes- I thought Oscar's legs would look neater and be easier :mad . I hadn't trimmed head or tail yet in the photo.

I agree with poodlefan- he'll look better with a little length on the legs and head- use scissors.

Both my dogs are often down at the beach. As long as I keep paws, face, base of tail close clipped, I have minimal mess around the place and no mats.

Perhaps the reason for mats is not brushing down to the skin? (I've made that mistake, too).

As you brush with the slicker, part the fur with your other hand, so your brushing close to his skin.

Then use a comb to check he's tangle free after brushing, also removes any extra dead hair left in coat after brushing.

Edited by Poodle wrangler

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks heaps for your help everyone... and I love the chicken legs photo PW.. lol.. he is cute!

I got myself another blade, and I still have the number 10, and I'm planning on clipping him next week!

I'm a bit scared lol.. I took photos of him this weekend so that I can remember what he 'used' to look like in case I stuff up! :rofl:

So my plan is:

number 4 all over

number 10 at the base of tail, on the paws (but not up the legs) and around the eyes and mouth...

I'm not exactly sure how that will turn out, but I figure those are the practical areas to do really short...

I'll try not to get his eyelashes this time lol

Are there any rules about whiskers? He has white whiskers but they sort of blend into his fur. Am I meant to leave him (like, are they important like they are to cats?) or are there no hard and fast rules?

Thanks heaps guys

I will post pictures when I've clipped him... possibly for your amusement... lol :rofl:

Edited by Blossom

Thanks heaps for your help everyone... and I love the chicken legs photo PW.. lol.. he is cute!

I got myself a number 4 full blade, and I still have the number 10, and I'm planning on clipping him next week!

I'm a bit scared lol.. I took photos of him this weekend so that I can remember what he 'used' to look like in case I stuff up! :thumbsup:

So my plan is:

number 4 all over

number 10 at the base of tail, on the paws (but not up the legs) and around the eyes and mouth...

I'm not exactly sure how that will turn out, but I figure those are the practical areas to do really short...

I'll try not to get his eyelashes this time lol

Are there any rules about whiskers? He has white whiskers but they sort of blend into his fur. Am I meant to leave him (like, are they important like they are to cats?) or are there no hard and fast rules?

Thanks heaps guys

I will post pictures when I've clipped him... possibly for your amusement... lol :thumbsup:

Use number 10 under armpits, tummy from navel down to groin, all of groin area and anus. You can use on the paws and between toes if you're wanting poodle feet, just be very careful of the webbing in between the toes.

I prefer to use scissors around the eyes and face. If you just use 10 around the mouth, it will leave him looking odd, with a shaved mouth and long face !! Just trim the face from the front of the mouth, in a half moon shape upto the inside of the ear, so the side of the face is in a nice curved shape, if that makes sense. You can take this as short as you need, as long as you keep the shape.

To do his eyes, just hold him around the muzzell for more control and pull up the hair around his eyes and give a quick snip with the scissors, with the scissors flat against his face. Never point the scissors at him. Also, to do a nice little visor so the hair from his head is not hanging in his eyes, just brush it all forward over his face, and on a 45 degree angle, snip as short as you would like from just outside one eye all the way around to the other. The hair is now out of his pretty eyes. Just mind the eyelashes when doing this if you prefer to keep them long.

I chop whiskers off if they look messy and are taking away the shape of the face. They are not important for dogs to have. If they are blended in I normally leave and just snip any stray bits.

Good luck with your clipping day :) Just remember it takes a while to master, and hair always grows back. You will learn from your mistakes, and if you dont like something, just dont do it the same next time.

Another question (haven't done the clip YET)

Is a 'curved slicker brush' the correct brush for him? It was suggested to me at the obedience school.

I got one today and used it on him, but he doesn't seem to like it very much.

It's also brushing out a LOT of fur... like, I had to clean it out three times after just doing his back.

Could it be pulling on his coat and hurting him?? Or maybe it just means that it IS the right brush if it's getting all the loose stuff out?

It's just that he's always really liked being brushed... and he didn't like this one at all....

On the up side, his coat feels sooo soft and silky now!

Edited by Blossom

Blossom, just check that the slicker brush is not hurting him. Run it along the inside of your arm - if it scratches you, it will be hurting Blayd too.

I have a Shih Tzu and I bought my slicker from PetNetwork, (they advertise on here) I think its brand is Doggyman. It is soft.

Good luck, and I am waiting to see the AFTER pictures.

Also remember a slicker will not get all knots out. It can miss them easily, so I would go through him with a pin brush , and then a metal comb after that just to make sure he is completely knot free. I find some dogs do hate the slickers, so depending on the breed and the coat type I will use a pin brush instead. Most dogs enjoy this and enjoy the feeling of the metal comb.

I "poodled" a friend's labradoodle :cry:. We babysat for 6 weeks so it had a little time to grow back. #5 body, shaved face, paws, base of tail with #15. Far less dirt and mud inside after I did his paws. He looks OK! Actually looks very much like a standard poodle in the second photo (it's just the photo, he's much stockier than a poodle, much broader face).

HArry.jpgharrytramp.jpg

Edited by Poodle wrangler

I told them I was going to do it because he kept dunking whole paws and most of his head in his water bowl, then coming inside with wet, muddy paws and slobbering jowls. I think they weren't game to say much. It was going to cost them over $1000 to kennel him.

I've got a "thing" about that red yeasty- bacterial stuff that you see on some white dog's paws, too, so it was off with the fur! If you only do actual paws and between the pads, the leg fur disguises it a bit ;). Poodle trim has a practical purpose :laugh: .

He was a good-natured dog and I really liked him but much clumsier than a poodle. My standard is the same size (or taller) and has knocked over nothing, while this guy was like a cyclone. Fur harder to trim, too. They had a bad experience with the "breeder" misinforming and misleading them :( . No health testing :). Paid about $2000 for him, too.

...What number did you use on his face? Or was it done without a thingy.. (bald??)

To give you some idea how poorly the breeder informed them- the guy thought that poodle fur naturally grew with shaved face, paws etc. :laugh:

#15 face, but it all depends how sensitive the dog's skin is. If in doubt go longer e.g. #10 instead. I clipped him exactly the same way as I did my poodle, but thicker fur gives a much better finish.