.......lol.. I used to think that too!!!! *BLUSH* but you'd think a breeder would inform them better than that! that's terrible.

Argh, that's nothing. Actually a lot of people think that (this was after they got their poodleX).

I recently said how nice a DOLers greyhound looked and it was a whippet :laugh:.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a 'Palane moment' (ref. his #10 all over trim on the poodle thread :cry:) and did #10 ears and tail on poor Charlie last trim. BAD idea!

He looks like a mutant! My God his ear leathers are short- they didn't grow with the rest of him!

#3 body and legs. Scissor top knot. Palane's pic saved me from doing topknot with a blade (Charlie thanks you :)).

Learn from my mistakes, grasshopper ....

Before ( :)) :IMG_0687.jpg

After ( :mad ): IMG_0771.jpg

... I never thought to ask about clipping the fur on the ears (of dogs, I mean.) I guess it would grow along with the rest of the coat, wouldn't it?

It's best not to do ears with clippers :mad. Best left alone or little trim off the ends with scissors.

"very different" :) indeed? Mutant!

Come on, do the deed :cry: . If I can post hideous clips, you have nothing to fear.

At least you have the excuse it's your first. I didn't even get to do the whole dog first go on Charlie (puppy) and that was about clip no. 10.

Hope this is the bath b4 clipping ....

I mean this in a 100% constructive way: Sounds like you are being too soft on him.

You've just taught him that carrying on like a pork chop gets him out of having a bath :wave:.

If he's to be a successful assistance dog, you'll have to be consistent (not harsh) with him and you'll need to be 100% leader. Don't feel bad about this- dogs without a strong leader get stressed because they feel they have to take on this role themselves. He'll love being able to please you by doing what you ask and it will make your relationship better and more fun/ happy. Reward-based training doesn't involve you being a dragon-like control freak.

Neither of my dogs like the bath, but they will stay in there because they listen to me (well, mostly :idea:) and know I'll never let them out until they're done. I do Charlie in the shower recess as he's so big.

For bathing, a helpful tip is to do their head last- this is usually what they most dislike.

Pick your battles, but once you've asked them to do something always follow through :hitself:.

You sound just like his trainer... hehe.. there must be something in what you're saying.

I understand the pack leader thing... I know I know.. *hangs head in shame* I just didn't know how to do it, physically I mean. He is way strong and I'm tiny. No excuse though, I probably shouldn't have tried by myself. I just got a bit enthusiastic :hitself:

Edited by Blossom

lol... he's nearly bald... but ok... gimme a sec... just for you and Poodle Wrangler because you asked...

By the way, he's not finished YET... the clippers got too hot, I'll finish the tail and legs tomorrow... although I can't imagine it will really make a difference lol...

Edited by Blossom

It's ok.. I'm still laughing too :laugh:

Yeah, I ended up having to do the tail... it got to the stage where a brush just wouldn't go thru it... maybe I should have scissored it instead though lol

Oh and his head isn't even because there was a big knot and I had to scissor it out. It's a bit heart shaped now...

I can't believe what I've done... lol

And I got enough wool off to make a jumper, I'm sure of it

Edited by Blossom

I'm back... :wave::) the tail!

But his body looks nice. I like it :laugh: !

When clippers get hot, take a break, get the fur out (old toothbrush) and oil them (Singer sewing oil, few drops).

There are clipper and blade care tips here: http://www.freewebs.com/clipperbladesharpe...lipperhints.htm.

Go to the poodle thread and check out Palane's #10 all over for a real shocker :cheer:. He shows poodles!!!

Blayd shouldn't have knots if you're brushing and combing him correctly. I found out I'd been doing it wrong for about 2 years b4 I came to DOL :birthday:.

He needs to be brushed and combed b4 bath and afterwards (b4 clipping).

1.Part the fur with one hand, so you slicker brush from skin outwards.

2.Use the comb to check there are no knots left. go right thru the fur. Normally you'll find some tangles and get some more fur off with the comb. Untangle as you would kid's hair.

Brush and comb should look something like these (off Pet Network site, DOL advertiser).

The comb is a "greyhound comb" (??why I don't know) and you use the wider spaced teeth, then the narrower ones (optional):

post-6819-1190356392_thumb.jpgpost-6819-1190356416_thumb.jpg

Don't forget the length for #4 is shorter if you go against the fur growth.

eta: DOL Poodle people have helped me a lot and given me this advice. I'm still learning, myself.

Edited by Poodle wrangler

Good advise PW. That is the same comb I use after the brushing has been done to ensure there are no knots.

He only looks funny in the pics cos hes not finished.

You should see some dogs I do, after their quick clip and shaping prior to bathing them and after the blow dry prior to finishing them off :laugh:

Once he is all done, he will look beautiful, and he only looks very short cos you are not used to that length. Trust me, you will learn to love the length a bit shorter as it is so much easier to manage. In about a week or 2 the hair will look gorgeous and fluffy, with daily brushing of course :wink:

But, I think you have done a good job so far. It's not an easy job, and will take you a little while before you get an eye for what you're doing and what you want. Just make sure next time all knots are removed from the tail, and you can leave that nice a fluffy, but good job :thumbsup: anf if you want more length on the legs, also make sure there are no knots, and you can scissor them from the shoulder and rump down to blend in with the shaved body. The easiest is to think of them like a cyliner and leave them nice and curved and straight up and down. But, I also like all off the legs too. It is personal preference and the more you do it, you will work out what you do and dont like, and also, what is going to be easier for you to manage.

You will be a pro in no time.