Cutting Dogs Nails

Hi all,

I cut my dogs nails too far (1 of them) and it bled what is the best way to get the blood to clot (using normal household stuff)and how long will it take to recover??? should he stay out of the backyard and stay inside so it doesn't get infected??

has anyone had this happen to them before?? what is the best thing to do now??

Any help greatly appreciated!!!

Jayakita

Dab some flour on the end of the nail. Might have to do it a couple of times but this should stop the bleeding. Keep the dog confined, crate/pen or your knee if small enough lol. otherwise there'll be blood spots everywhere and it also gives the flour a chance to harden a bit. There's a number of products you can buy but I use the flour trick - always got some of that! Don't worry it happens to us all!

How long does it take to fully recover?? it looked like it closed up and all and then he got excited and ran round the backyard and it bled again.

so we have got him to calm down (slows the bloodflow) and am going to keep him in the house.

not on my lap (he's an akita) hahaha

so about 4 hours do you think???

i just don't want it to bleed on and off again!!

Thankyou for your help with the soap and flour.

more help would be appreciated

Jayakita

You could get some "Styptic powder" from the pet shop in case it happens again. Is designed for this. I've done this b4 too, now I use a dremel to grind down the nails instead- easier to avoid the "quick" and if you do hit it apparently it doesn't bleed nearly as much as when using clippers.

ETA: I did nothing at all the time it happenned, but I guess it depends how low you've cut. Some dogs will be obviously uncomfortable for days.

Edited by Poodle wrangler

If it hasnt already stopped bleeding, get a fresh cake of soap and push the soap into the end of the nail.. Some vet clinics do this. He will be fine to go outside after the bleeding has stopped as well :o

We got told to do this with one of our Belgians and it so didnt work. I would NOT recommend this one at all.

By my Iggy breeder I was told to spit on it and sprinkle black pepper on it. I tried this on my Belgian and it worked until he licked it off. Basically all I did was apply pressure and hold his paw up. Another thing that might work is that my Belgians nail seem to really stop when he had walked through a bit of mud.

Alternatively there is a product called Quick Stop, I am not sure how well it works but it might be worth a try.

I also use a dremel to do my Iggy's nails. I used it too a couple of times on my Belgians and it worked really well. You do though have to get the dog use to the noise etc slowly first. Some dogs can freak out.

Edited by Okeekarma

I've tried styptic powder, but I've had a lot more success with condy's crystals, I think you can get them from the chemist. I dampen the end of a cotton bud and dip it in the crystals, then hold it to the cut end of the nail. Works a treat, but don't let your dog back in for a while if you have white carpet, LOL. It's very purple.

Audrey