Protective Dog Booties...

erinkate

Hi all,

I have a 3 year old Mastiff X that recently suffered a bruised spinal cord. He was initially paralysed in both of his hind legs, but has now recovered full use of his right leg and most of the use of his left. When he first regained use of his left leg he was knuckling his paw, he now only knuckles around 5% of the time, usually when he is excited and running or chasing something. Of course, being excited, he doesn't take proper care of his paw and he has managed to rip off three of his toenails to the point of bleeding. These will slightly heal and then the next day when he runs outside again, he makes them bleed again. It's painful for him, and I can't count the number of times I've been on my hands and knees scrubbing the carpet of all the blood!

I've looked into dog boots and found some made in the US that are suitable for dogs that drag their paws. They were US$26.95 for a pair...but then around US$50 for postage and handling. I've been trying to find something similar in Australia, but most appear to be 'fashion' or protective simply from mud.

I'm wondering if anyone who has tried the booties would recommend them for my puppy - they're so cheap on ebay that I'm wondering whether it would be worth just buying them and replacing them when necessary. Of course not if they break after only a week or so! Or if anyone knows of somewhere in Australia that makes protective (dragging paw protective) booties, again, I'd be interested!

Erin (and Ralph)

I can personally highly recommend the GripTrex from Ruff Wear available from Pet Wares Plus Australia.

They're soft and flexible like a human athletic shoe so fit comfortably, but the rubber grip sole (no slipping, even in the wet) is very strong and also keeps the foot flat (no knuckling) despite the boots being light enough to not bother the dog. The front rubber toe guard extension of the sole especially is what you'll be needing if your dog is dragging its foot and scraping its nails on concrete or paving etc.

Not cheap though.

I can personally highly recommend the GripTrex from Ruff Wear available from Pet Wares Plus Australia.

They're soft and flexible like a human athletic shoe so fit comfortably, but the rubber grip sole (no slipping, even in the wet) is very strong and also keeps the foot flat (no knuckling) despite the boots being light enough to not bother the dog. The front rubber toe guard extension of the sole especially is what you'll be needing if your dog is dragging its foot and scraping its nails on concrete or paving etc.

Not cheap though.

Id be going with the ones anthony posted too. They seem to be made for a purpose, not just for fashion. Sas on here bought some for her dog. I'll try and find the thread.

I bought some cheaper ones for Riley to stop him licking his paw and they worked great for that, but would easily come off in your dogs situation.

edited to add - heres the link to the thread http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...=78046&st=0

Edited by wagsalot

I got these Boots for my greyhound when she was dragging her leg.

They are not the most solidly constructed boots, they simply velcro on and off, she used to drag her leg when she was excited/tired etc as she had a bad break that healed incorrectly.

They were enough to protect her foot and she seemed to remember to pick it up a little more when she was wearing them.

Looked really funny, her tearing at full pelt around the dog park, picking the booted leg up just that extra bit more...

I use them on my other girl when she tears her nails just to keep the foot clean.

For the price they are a handy addition to my first aid kit, no worrying about foot bandages coming off and getting yucky when outside.

OMG, those expensive ones look fabulous!! But the price!

I have a similar problem with my Pug who drags his front feet. His knuckles over so much that he has worn a patch on the top of his toe that bleeds. When we walk him we have to walk him on grass as much as possible. He has one nail that is actually sheared off at an angle to almost a point.

Most dog boots don't cut it as they are not re-inforced on top which means that they wear within days. The others on that page would be no good for my lad. But $118.00........ I would love them but they are above the budget at the moment.... perhaps a savings plan is in order.

I got these Boots for my greyhound when she was dragging her leg.

They are not the most solidly constructed boots, they simply velcro on and off, she used to drag her leg when she was excited/tired etc as she had a bad break that healed incorrectly.

They were enough to protect her foot and she seemed to remember to pick it up a little more when she was wearing them.

Looked really funny, her tearing at full pelt around the dog park, picking the booted leg up just that extra bit more...

I use them on my other girl when she tears her nails just to keep the foot clean.

For the price they are a handy addition to my first aid kit, no worrying about foot bandages coming off and getting yucky when outside.

These were the ones I got Riley. I would of thought they would of come of easily for a dog dragging paws.

They only just stayed on Riley's feet, but maybe he has odd feet :laugh:

Hi

We see alot of dogs with similar problems to what you are describing. We have found that in most cases adding any extra weight (ie boot) will make the dog drag the foot more. In some cases we have made splints to stop knuckling. My advise would be careful the boots you buy are not very heavy at all. We do have a limited range in stock they are $45.00 per pair and are the best boots we have found in Australia. We are currently designing our own range they will be light weight made out of neoprene with reinforced soles.

Thank you all for your suggestions...I've decided to bite the bullet and get the Grip Tex shoes, although I had to search for a store that stocked them in XX-Large. They do look very sturdy, and the fact is that he NEEDS them, I can't get past that. I'm hoping that as he only needs one, we'll have 3 back up shoes...I know they say that some dogs won't tolerate only one shoe, but like Puggle's puppy, Ralph was ripping the skin off the top of his paw for a while and easily tolerated a leather pouch wrapped around one foot, hopefully he'll be the same with shoes. I'll have to post a photo with them on when we get them, I can't wait to see my 70 kg boofer walking around with sneakers on!

Once again, thank you for all the suggestions.

Erin and Ralph.

Hi

We see alot of dogs with similar problems to what you are describing. We have found that in most cases adding any extra weight (ie boot) will make the dog drag the foot more. In some cases we have made splints to stop knuckling. My advise would be careful the boots you buy are not very heavy at all. We do have a limited range in stock they are $45.00 per pair and are the best boots we have found in Australia. We are currently designing our own range they will be light weight made out of neoprene with reinforced soles.

I got your reply just after I'd purchased the Grip Trex...I've previously visited Dogs in Motion as we were considering purchasing a splint for Ralph when it didn't look like he'd stop knuckling. I have to say that the site has improved lots since I last visited. If I find that these boots aren't appropriate (gosh I hope not for $120) then I will definitely give the ones on your site a try.

I'm hoping that as he only needs one, we'll have 3 back up shoes...I know they say that some dogs won't tolerate only one shoe

You can always use a pair on the back feet. The one on his good foot won't get worn out as much on the front of it as it will on the bad foot dragging, so it'll stay in good condition anyway. Good luck. I hope Ralph likes them!

Edited by anthony mazzeri

Thank you all for your suggestions...I've decided to bite the bullet and get the Grip Tex shoes, although I had to search for a store that stocked them in XX-Large.

BLOODY HELL!!!

Are you SURE you need XX-Large? It's just I have a Boxer & Lab with Grip Trex (which I bought for roughly $80AUD including postage from the US!) and they both take size small!!!

-WithEverythingIAm

Are you SURE you need XX-Large? It's just I have a Boxer & Lab with Grip Trex (which I bought for roughly $80AUD including postage from the US!) and they both take size small!!!

He's got a lot more Mastiff in him than Boxer and measuring his feet at the widest point is around 8.3 or 8.4 cm, so XX-Large it was! I'll be trying them on with a sock or stocking of some sort first, of course, just in case... He's a big boy - at the dog beach the only dogs bigger than him are Danes.

Erin

• 7 months later...

He's got a lot more Mastiff in him than Boxer and measuring his feet at the widest point is around 8.3 or 8.4 cm, so XX-Large it was! I'll be trying them on with a sock or stocking of some sort first, of course, just in case... He's a big boy - at the dog beach the only dogs bigger than him are Danes.

Erin

Hi Erin,

We have a similar problem with our 13 year old Goldie who is damaging both his back paws through dragging (spinal nerve damage). I'm thinking of getting the Grip tex boots and was wondering how they worked out for you. My concerns are: will they be too hot and sweaty (we are in a sub tropical climate) and will the sides be strong enough as it is the side of the paws that get damaged. Any feedback on how you went with them would be much appreciated.

regards Paul

Erin

Hi Erin,

We have a similar problem with our 13 year old Goldie who is damaging both his back paws through dragging (spinal nerve damage). I'm thinking of getting the Grip tex boots and was wondering how they worked out for you. My concerns are: will they be too hot and sweaty (we are in a sub tropical climate) and will the sides be strong enough as it is the side of the paws that get damaged. Any feedback on how you went with them would be much appreciated.

regards Paul

Based in the US http://www.dogbooties.com/index.html

Lightweight

Justine.