10½ Week Old Gsd Hates The Car !

Riley'n'Mia

My exceptionally cute (pic attached) GSD does not like riding in the car, he does not throw up nor does he do no 1 or no 2's in the car. His problem is that he cries and howls like someone is trying to kill him and won't settle in his harness he tries to wiggle out of it and wants to jump in the front seat on my lap. It's really hard to drive whilst he's doing this and I am worried he is going to hurt himself. He usually settles down after 10 mins sometimes it takes longer up to 20 mins (he then goes to sleep and everything is fine). When he gets a bit older I would like to take him to work with me everyday which means he will be in the car twice a day for about 20 mins and my OH's family lives 4 hours away and we would like to take him with us when we visit them. As he's going to be a large dog I really want to fix this problem whilst he's still at a managable size and at his most responsive age for learning. I have tried letting him sit in the harness in the driveway when the car is off and on and he doesn't mind that it's just when I am driving and he is forced to sit still in the harness that he throws a tantrum !!!!!! :hug::laugh::laugh:

post-20511-1189040633_thumb.jpg

Gosh, this brings back memories of my old boy 16 years ago...lol

He hated the car big time. So, we would sit on the back seat with him without the car running for 10 minutes at a time and slowly increased the time. Then one of us would sit with him for very short trips....just a few miutes then straight back home and reward him. Again increasing the time until he would sit by himseld for longer trips.

Eventually he got to love the car and would cry if we didn't take him.

Patience and loads of encouragement was what we found worked....he was a big sook.

Yes I certainly have a sook on my hands as well ! I guess that's the key patience and time maybe I should try giving him small treats in the car whilst I am sitting with him whilst the car is not moving (as he will do just about anything for food) he might start associating the car with food and look forward to going for a road trip ? Or alternatively try to eat the car when he grows up...... :laugh::hug:

I don't know if it'll work with your one, but I had to use the tough love approach with my young pup Kite.

She was constantly trying to come see me and sit on my lap and no amount of reassurance from any passenger would help. Since I am constantly taking her to my mum's place (half an hour away) and driving by myself - ignoring her was the only thing I could do and now thankfully she has settled down and just curls up to sleep whenever I'm driving.

ETA your lil one is gorgeous by the way

Edited by LittleMiss

Thanks for that LittleMiss I have tried that approach and I have to say he behaves far quicker when it's just myself and Riley (GSD) in the car, when my OH is in the car too he puts his hand on the back seat so the dog can lie on it and he talks to him telling him it's ok. I keep telling my OH to ignore him as his reassuring Riley is making him think there is something to be scared of in the first place !!!!!!!! I might ban OH from car trips until Riley and I sort this problem out...... :hug:

My 4 month old pup used to cry lots and hate being put in the car. We tried to lots of short trips to places that were fun ... friends, park, puppy school ... it took a while and her worrying the whole time then all of a sudden she stopped fighting to go in and now tries to get in herself. She still cries a bit at times and doesn't like the harness but is getting better. We just tried to associate the car with fun and it seems to have worked.

My 3.5 month old pup used to hate getting in the car, but we take her to lots of fun places where she gets to play with oother dogs and gets lots of treats so she loves it now!

I tell her to sit when we get in the car - she rides on the front passenger floor - and she either sits or curls up and i give her lots of praise and pats when we stop at traffic lights and she is really well behaved!

my dog hated it too when she was little. i have no idea why. but i just persevered and basically didnt give her the choice. now as soon as she hears my keys or sees me with my handbag, she runs and sits at the car waiting to hop in.

I think it's just a matter of persisiting and making it a positive experience for the little guy, I agree OH might have to be banned from car trips :hug: for a bit until the pup has settled a bit!

He's a spunky looking GSD

He thinks he's pretty spunky too which is half the problem ! Can't wait to get home and tell OH he's banned from the car when Riley's in it for the time being ............. Ha-ha

:laugh:

When training your pup for car trips its a good idea to sit in the car like everyone else said without the car going anywhere. But try the car engine on instead of off. Only have the pup in the car for 2 minutes then reward him for being quiet and let him out of the car. Do this 3 to 4 times a day if possible for 2 days. Then on the 3rd day start as normal with the engine on then only drive the car up the driveway and back or 2 to 3 houses worth in the street and back. Then reward him for quiet behaviour on your return. Do this next stage for 2 days a couple of times in a day. On the 6th day drive around the block and back and reward quite behaviour on your return. It should only take 7 days all up doing this step by step process for the pup to then enjoy car travel. At all times while doing this do not talk or pat your dog just incase you reward the wrong behaviour.

It is the motion of the car moving but the pup is not that makes them cry and howl because they cannot understand the everything moving past them and they are not.

Hope this helps you :rolleyes:

When training your pup for car trips its a good idea to sit in the car like everyone else said without the car going anywhere. But try the car engine on instead of off. Only have the pup in the car for 2 minutes then reward him for being quiet and let him out of the car. Do this 3 to 4 times a day if possible for 2 days. Then on the 3rd day start as normal with the engine on then only drive the car up the driveway and back or 2 to 3 houses worth in the street and back. Then reward him for quiet behaviour on your return. Do this next stage for 2 days a couple of times in a day. On the 6th day drive around the block and back and reward quite behaviour on your return. It should only take 7 days all up doing this step by step process for the pup to then enjoy car travel. At all times while doing this do not talk or pat your dog just incase you reward the wrong behaviour.

It is the motion of the car moving but the pup is not that makes them cry and howl because they cannot understand the everything moving past them and they are not.

Hope this helps you :rolleyes:

Thank you will give it a try.

I bet he doesnt hate the car at all :rolleyes:

He wants to be with his mummy on her lap

Of course the dog wants to sit on the owners lap because it does not understand the motion of the car and wants to feel safe while everything around it is moving and it is not (Duh). Of course it does not hate the car itself it has done nothing to the pup (Duh) But hey I guess you don not understand these things in training dogs :rofl:

Riley,I would check your Leadership of this Pup firstly.This Pup does not hate the Car as you have figured out.As you said he is quite happy to sit in the Car when it is motionless.He only starts to get active when the Car is in motion.

Dogs as you know are Predators and going for a walk or drive in a Car are going on a Hunt to a Dog.When your car begins to move,your Pup see"s the hunt beginning!!!!So immeditately he is ready.His howling is frustration as he wants to be upfront connecting with the Pack{The pack being you in this case}and to lead the hunt!!!! Tony

I bought a stash of pigs ears. The only time she gets them is when she is in the car. Indie now leaps into the car,whereas before i had to drag her sorry butt in .

I just chuck her in the car where ever im going,and shes so focussed on chewing she doesnt budge