myValkyrie

Livestock Guardian Dogs

2,662 posts in this topic

Well, we don't have a thread of our own yet :hug: Hoping to share pics, experiences & general info about these unique types of dogs - there must be some of you out there :laugh:

This is my Kangal, Luka

post-17561-1189057420_thumb.jpg

Edited by myValkyrie

BJean   

Ah there we are!

a little thread for us :mad

here is one of my favourite Anatolian pics

this is B2 at work - scanning the horizon to ensure the safety of her charges (30 000 free range chickens):

b2workingxl0.th.jpg

Edited by lilli

BJean   

And her sister B1, taking the easy option:

b1aul3.th.jpg

Edited by lilli

2tollers   

This is a beautiful group of dogs.

Wow 30 000 chickens. Where do they lay their eggs? My dogs would be sooo fat. :mad

BJean   

And baby puppy Brasco

he is going to give baby puppy class a go on november 5

29991877nh8.th.jpg

MV, how old is Bosun :mad ?

Edited by lilli

BJean   
This is a beautiful group of dogs.

Wow 30 000 chickens. Where do they lay their eggs? My dogs would be sooo fat. :laugh:

The chickens are primarily raised for meat but when they do lay eggs, they go into thier barn (the big shed B1 is keeping one opened eye on :rofl: )

B2 is the tsarina of the chickens: any dog that gets caught snacking on eggs gets bitten!

(poor Ned, the new LGD in training, ended up at the vet for deciding that chickens were fun to chase -lesson well learned now and Ned has gone back to watching them instead. :D )

Young Ned (Central Asian)

he finds his Anatolian aunts very bossy!:

72706602wn4.th.jpg

Edited by lilli

BJ.   

Oh I knew I shouldn't have looked in here, Lilli Ned is just gorgeous, look at that face. For some reason all the LGD's appeal to me but the Central Asian's have really grabbed my heart. Lilli are they too much dog for a suburban situation?

BJean   
Oh I knew I shouldn't have looked in here, Lilli Ned is just gorgeous, look at that face. For some reason all the LGD's appeal to me but the Central Asian's have really grabbed my heart. Lilli are they too much dog for a suburban situation?

No the right tempered dog in the suburbs will be fine :laugh: Ned's brother lives in suburban NSW and he is in his perfect home.

CAOs are very emotional dogs, big thinkers - some pups are born to belong to the outdoors and land, while their littermate will relish the cosey luxuries of a pampered suburban lifestyle.

Ned would not have liked the suburbs at all (too much bustle and change for him, farm house routine and open space where he can survey the horizon is for him) while his brother Bes - is a homebody and would rather join you for a cuppa indoors than venture outside.

Ned has grown up a bit since that last pic - this is Ned at 5 months:

ned1afo8.th.jpg

Edited by lilli

BJ.   

They are bear like aren't they? I shall keep returning to this thread to drool and to gain more knowledge on these great boofas. Thanks for your reply Lilli, hopefully we will talk more in the future. :laugh:

KOE   
Well, we don't have a thread of our own yet :cool: Hoping to share pics, experiences & general info about these unique types of dogs - there must be some of you out there :(

This is my Kangal, Luka

post-17561-1189057420_thumb.jpg

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh my gorgeous friend Luka :laugh:

BJean   

And to show how versatile LGDs can be

here is Rescue Anatolian Arden taking turns on the trampoline with her new family :laugh:

arden3qe9.th.jpg

arden2ds2.th.jpg

arden1mv0.th.jpg

Edited by lilli

Thankyou for alerting me to this thread Lilli :laugh: It shows how I have been suckered into the LGD's , particularly a certain ASD boy who fell into my lap ....... literally :cool: ....... when I still haven't dragged my butt into the GSD thread :worship:

" Taps fingers and waits patiently for the promised BOO pics " :(:mad:thumbsup:

Aphra   

Just for Lola, my previous foster the lovely Boo, an Anatolian, who I still miss.

post-1835-1192070765_thumb.jpg

post-1835-1192070774_thumb.jpg

post-1835-1192070787_thumb.jpg

post-1835-1192070796_thumb.jpg

chicko   

noooooooo boo was mine not lolas hehehe

I had him for a night and picked him up with Lola where he was before hand, and boy did he make an inprint on my heart, after taking most of my doors off there hinges hehe but he was so beautiful!

Where has he gone to now Lilli?

Edited by chicko

Jean26   

They're all so gorgeous.

Silly question here: but do they leave livestock alone?? Would that mean no to little prey drive??

I think my shepherd boy would go crazy chasing 30 000 chickens! :thumbsup:

BJean   
Thankyou for alerting me to this thread Lilli :thumbsup: It shows how I have been suckered into the LGD's , particularly a certain ASD boy who fell into my lap ....... literally :laugh: ....... when I still haven't dragged my butt into the GSD thread ;)

" Taps fingers and waits patiently for the promised BOO pics " :p :laugh::eek:

Boo is not well! :p

He may have had some sort of bite on his neck - but it was all swollen so no posing pics to day - off to the vet instead!

Hopefully when I see him again on Satuday all will be well.

Chicko - Boo is on a chicken farm in Northern Vic - he keeps a sleepy maremma company (when he is not jumping the fence ;) )

Aphra thankyou for the Boo pics - Boo's nose has got lighter how bizarre, I noticed that today.

BJean   
Silly question here: but do they leave livestock alone?? Would that mean no to little prey drive??

Ideally, yes :p In general LGDs have low prey drive; some are more 'bomb proof' than others - free range chickens are very tempting though, not all would be able to resist - bigger stock are easier charges - particularly if they can kick and have hard hooves :laugh:

putin6dx3.th.jpg

A young Putin

Edited by lilli

Jean26   

Ideally, yes :p In general LGDs have low prey drive; some are more 'bomb proof' than others - free range chickens are very tempting though, not all would be able to resist - bigger stock are easier charges - particularly if they can kick and have hard hooves :laugh:

Ah okay.

Thanks for that :p

Putin is a cutie!