Sign in to follow this  
myValkyrie

Livestock Guardian Dogs

2,660 posts in this topic

Clyde   

Great photos K! :thumbsup:

Thanks for going to the trouble of sharing them :)

Edited by Clyde

espinay2   

Thanks for the links Espinay, it was very interesting reading. One question for you though about colour in Pyrs how common is Blaireu? and is it true that it often fades over the course of the dog growing up?

--Lhok

Blaireau is a fairly common color in pyrs. Yes while some keep their dark markings (more common with wolf grey or arrouye which is a bright red/orange), most often they fade. On my phone now but will post pics a little later to show you.

Here are some pictures of Grace as an example, from 5 weeks till now. The markings on this particular line tend to start out more greyish and then get more lemon through them as they go.

Blaireau by the way is basically 'badger' , most likely the result of the agouti gene. The hair is a mix of colours.

Confusingly though Blarieau has often been used to simply mean a marked dog, but it is more specifically a particular type of colour of the markings.

Whoops I thought Blarieau was what the dark/light grey colour was called. :o

Wow Grace's markings have changed a lot since she was a puppy, also she is completely stunning!

--Lhok

Blaireau translates to 'Badger' in French :) : http://environnement.wallonie.be/ong/refuges/blaireau.html

It is used to descibe the 'agouti' colour similar to a badger wher the hair shafts and hair mix vary from white to yellow to grey to blackish.

The hair is generally lighter at the root than the tip.

As I mentioned it is a common misconception that all markings are 'blaireau' ( a term we can't use to officially describe it any more :( ) as it was often commonly used on that way by many people.

This is a wolf grey marked dog: http://zagica.blogspot.com.au/2009/03/rufus-pyrenean-mountain-dog.html

This is an 80kg deaf great dane. They had great fun on many occasions. On lead was a tangled challenge. Off lead they'd occasionally come barrelling into us but otherwise fine.

OMG Legion that Dane's name isn't Tasha, is it? Recently adopted out through a rescue group in the last 1-2 months?

Zeki is looking so great! Bet he had a ball on his camping trip. Lol at the banished to a tent with him :D LOVE his beach photos!

So interesting to hear how his nature is becoming protective. I cannot recall an occasion Maya has ever barked at a stranger, outside one walking past her own front fence. She would be a terrible LGD :p

Thanks for the links Espinay, it was very interesting reading. One question for you though about colour in Pyrs how common is Blaireu? and is it true that it often fades over the course of the dog growing up?

--Lhok

Blaireau is a fairly common color in pyrs. Yes while some keep their dark markings (more common with wolf grey or arrouye which is a bright red/orange), most often they fade. On my phone now but will post pics a little later to show you.

\\

Here are some pictures of Grace as an example, from 5 weeks till now. The markings on this particular line tend to start out more greyish and then get more lemon through them as they go.

Blaireau by the way is basically 'badger' , most likely the result of the agouti gene. The hair is a mix of colours.

Confusingly though Blarieau has often been used to simply mean a marked dog, but it is more specifically a particular type of colour of the markings.

Wow Grace's markings have changed a lot since she was a puppy, also she is completely stunning!

--Lhok

Blaireau translates to 'Badger' in French :) : http://environnement.wallonie.be/ong/refuges/blaireau.html

It is used to descibe the 'agouti' colour similar to a badger wher the hair shafts and hair mix vary from white to yellow to grey to blackish.

As I mentioned it is a common misconception that all markings are 'blaireau' ( a term we can't use to officially describe it any more :( ) as it was often commonly used on that way by many people.

This is a wolf grey marked dog: http://zagica.blogspot.com.au/2009/03/rufus-pyrenean-mountain-dog.html

So interesting reading about Pyr colours, I admit to not knowing much about the breed and have never met one in the flesh (fur?)

HOW HUGE IS RUFUS! He looks a lot blockier than your photos, is he stockier in build or is most of that just floof?

Edited by Chris the Rebel Wolf

espinay2   

--Lhok

\\

--Lhok

So interesting reading about Pyr colours, I admit to not knowing much about the breed and have never met one in the flesh (fur?)

HOW HUGE IS RUFUS! He looks a lot blockier than your photos, is he stockier in build or is most of that just floof?

He is a heavier type dog typical of some of the older English stuff. Not that huge though height wise but a bit heavier boned. There is some thought that some of the dogs that originally went to the uk in particular may have had some Pyr mastiff in their genetics. Suspected based on some of the heavier types that can sometimes be seen in the breed but only conjecture. While you do see some heavier types in France too, there has been in past years selection to some heavier types in places like the uk and us in particular.

--Lhok

\\

--Lhok

He is a heavier type dog typical of some of the older English stuff. Not that huge though height wise but a bit heavier boned. There is some thought that some of the dogs that originally went to the uk in particular may have had some Pyr mastiff in their genetics. Suspected based on some of the heavier types that can sometimes be seen in the breed but only conjecture. While you do see some heavier types in France too, there has been in past years selection to some heavier types in places like the uk and us in particular.

That is a real difference at least to my untrained eye :) Really fascinating.

espinay2   

--Lhok

\\

--Lhok

That is a real difference at least to my untrained eye :) Really fascinating.

To mine, and a lot of others, too........ But that is a can of worms ;)

It is so good seeing one of Gustaves kids out in the wild lol...there is no way Gustave could ever had done that...way too protective and apart from that once he arrived we couldnt get him back in the car lol.

lilli   

Next week we'll be in a campground with plenty of strange dogs and people and no boundaries so that'll be interesting ...

Oh tell us all how we go please Legion? Maya and I will be going on a fossicking trip sometime so I'd love to hear how you guys get along :)

It went well. He learned a lot. At first he would go off at any sound or dog but by the end he was calm enough to be relaxed. Well, the exhaustion from 400 walks/day didn't hurt either. I got banished to one 3m x 3m tent with him while everyone else slept in another tent and he was fine. He had to be tied up at all times in the camp or on a lead but he didn't mind.

hahaha that reminds me of when I took Raven camping to a dog show in Cohuna when she was 11 months old.

incidently, it was the last time :)

lilli   

It is so good seeing one of Gustaves kids out in the wild lol...there is no way Gustave could ever had done that...way too protective and apart from that once he arrived we couldnt get him back in the car lol.

:rofl:

:)

lilli   

She's gotten to know the usual pack at the local dog park quite well!

7Months_Dogpark31.jpg

what is the liver point dog running on the left hand side?

PS: I'm with Shaz

SOOOOOO

impressed with Maya's sociability and good all round wholesomeness :thumbsup: