myValkyrie

Livestock Guardian Dogs

2,662 posts in this topic

Hi, not sure if anyone can help or might be interested but there is a nice looking Anatolian in Renbury Pound right now. 3.5yr old female, kind temperament.

Dave73   

Hi, not sure if anyone can help or might be interested but there is a nice looking Anatolian in Renbury Pound right now. 3.5yr old female, kind temperament.

Apparently ASDNSW is looking after her so she will be in good hands.

espinay2   

For those that are on Facebook, there is a new group called 'Livestock Guardian Dogs in Australia' - It covers all LGD breeds in Australia - working, pet, show etc etc

BJean   

~ ANATOLIAN SHEPHERD SPECIALTY SHOW & EASTER PICNIC ~

Members of the public welcome to attend and ask questions about the breed; meet and greet with Anatolian Shepherds

Date: GOOD FRIDAY, APRIL 3RD, 2015

Venue: KCC PARK, Victoria

More information on the ASDCV Website:

ANATOLIAN CLUB EVENTS

:whee:

Edited by lilli

Shakti   

Hi all...I know LGDS are not ideal as family pets/companions but if you were placing a puppy with a family would it be a Great Pyrenees or a Maremma and why???

Clyde   
1428911531[/url]' post='6677587']

Hi all...I know LGDS are not ideal as family pets/companions but if you were placing a puppy with a family would it be a Great Pyrenees or a Maremma and why???

GP. I believe they are softer than the Maremmas.

espinay2   

Just wandering in as I haven't been in for a while... :dancingelephant:

Of the LGD breeds, the Pyrenean is probably the best adapted for living in a pet home.

It has a history both as a LGD who lived in the villages and valley farms in winter and as a chateau guardian and darling of the French royal court.

It is probably the 'least reactive' of the LGD breeds (in that it tends to give more warning before launching into action and will tend to use only 'necessary force').

Naturally there are many typical LGD traits that any owner needs to adapt to. This breed however is frequently used in roles such as therapy dog and service dog (in particular for issues such as mobility or PTSD/Anxiety etc) and with good management can be a successful family pet. If to be a family companion though it does best when fully integrated with the family (i.e. living inside with them) as the family becomes its 'flock' and they tend to take their job of watching over them seriously.

BJean   

woops way late reply, but yes I agree with the other replies.

I dont own a GP or Maremma, but GP seem more people orientated, gregarious and less reactive.

Maremma, seem more aloof.

Of the LGD breeds generally available in Aus (Maremma, Pyrenees, Anatolian/Kangal, Central Asian), in general I think the GP is easier to live with (wrt acceptance of strangers, dog aggression, reactivity etc).

espinay2   

Note that they are only called 'Great Pyrenees' in the US and Canada. Here (and in most languages) they are Pyrenean Mountain Dogs.

BJean   

Ali Aladja Pandora - female CAS from Kyrgyzstan

Pandora_Snow2.jpg

Pandora_Snow3.jpg

Pandora_Snow4_dol.jpg

Edited by lilli

BJean   

Ali Aladja Michel (Kyrgyzstan)

female CAS, dam of Pandora ~

Ali_Aladja_Michelle_dol.jpg

Ali_Aladzha_Michelle3.jpg

Edited by lilli

Well today for the first time one of my wonderful guardians lost her life in the line of duty. Gina was found dead with a bite to her throat and behind one ear .. one sheep has a wound to a back leg but the rest of her beloved flock are fine. Since we have not suffered dogs attacks since 1996 when our first maremmas arrived i think i had become complacent and dear old Gina paid for my complacency with her life.

Vale Gina you are part of Willaura Farm both in life and in spirit.

Helen

Ruffles   

I'm very sorry for your loss, Helen. How sad :(

But, at least Gina went out doing what she was bred to do. A proud ending, although I'm sure it doesnt seem it right now.

ari.g   

Ali Aladja Michel (Kyrgyzstan)

female CAS, dam of Pandora ~

Ali_Aladja_Michelle_dol.jpg

Ali_Aladzha_Michelle3.jpg

So majestic!

Just saw this guy on FB, maybe someone here might know who owns him? Pound will only release to owner they say he's fear agressive.