Only Has A Problem With One Dog...

TNT

I figured this might be the best place to post this- and I would really appreciate opinions on what is the cause of the issue with my pup!

She is a 10 month old ACD (posible X) and has been doing VERY well at obedience. We have one issue- and it only happens every now and then. She is quite a confident dog and will happily say hello to anyone- dog or human. In most cases she will take the submissive position when meeting a dog- by this I mean she will either drop and crawl on her tummy towards the dog- occasionally rolling over. There has only been a handful of dogs that she has taken the dominant stand on- but she hasnt had any issues. An angry kelpie even got away from its owner the other week and while both dogs were scared and hackles raised- after about 10 secs they were sniffing each other, hackles down.

This is where my problem starts. For the past 2 months - almost 3- we have been in the same class as a very timid border collie. I noticed the issue almost straight away so approached the owner of the dog at training to see if they could meet, to get used to each other. This was fine- no issues- they will walk next to each other and work next to each other. They will even sit across from each other looking at each other without a problem. They have also done off lead down stays next to each other without a problem.

The problem seems to arise when the bc lays down when we are relaxing between exercises. The bc seems to stare my pup out- everything is calm- then all of a sudden my pup will jump up, hackles raised and start barking! This has only happened once when active in class- but the bc stepped on my dogs tail in that situation. Its quite startling becasue it seems to happen out of the blue and my dog isnt usually a barker- or instigater.

The only thing I can think of is that something is making my dog feel threatened.... but I dont know why its this one dog!

I know its hard without seeing of knowing the dogs- but does anyone have any insight as to why it is happening? Is my pup feeling threatened? and why is it the one dog- who is timid, normally lying down with ears down and back???

The bc seems to stare my pup out- everything is calm- then all of a sudden my pup will jump up, hackles raised and start barking!

In the animal kingdom, staring is threatening. I would suggest that if this is to occur again (with ANY dog) you break eye contact by calling your dog away or at the very least by standing in the pathway of view between the two dogs. Having a friendly chat with the owner of the BC to ask them to regain the BC's focus on them instead of on your dog would also be helpful. But if the BC's owner doesn't do this, you need to act.

Where you've written the words "everything is calm" (as per above quote) is the moment that you should have acted, if not a second before.

These sorts of questions are better asked to your obedience instructor (assuming the instructor has knowledge of dog behaviour and body language) as he/she is actually there to be able to observe it. But going by what you've written, I'd suggest the staring is the trigger for your dog's reaction.

And remember that every time you fail to act, your own dog is learning how to handle the situation (by exhibiting aggression) and the threshold levels for the reactivity may become increasingly lower over time. Better, IMO, to teach your dog an alternative but incompatible behaviour (such as coming away) instead.

Thanks for that!

The instructors just thought the dogs didnt get along- but they seem to be fine in certain circumstances.

I admit my guard was down last time as they had been fine for a couple of weeks when looking directly at each other- so wasnt prepared. The second time it happened I turned my dog away from the other one and got her to drop and look at me- which seemed to work.

Another trainer suggested I carry a squirt bottle and squirt my dog when she does this. But when it only happens say once a month. Besides- any water squirted is instant play time with my pup.