Teaching The Quiet Command?

EmmaKate

I was wanting to teach my pup quiet (ie. to stop barking). What is the best way of doing this? Do I also need to teach the bark command for this to be effective?

He isn't a huge barker....but is certainly discovering his voice. He only barks when he hears people through the fence at home (or out the front talking)...and we have the occasional person who likes to bark back at him (very annoying), and when we are out walking he will sometimes bark at people he sees (never dogs, only people, especially when he can't smell them.) This isn't all the time though, some days more then others. And then there's the even rarer occasion when he barks at new people entering the house.

I am quite happy for him to give the initial warning barks, but would like to be able to give the quiet command and have him stop.

The easiest way is to teach them to bark on command, then teach them quiet.

Mine will bark on "watch"... I live on acerage and well. often I do not know if there is someone there until they are ringing the doorbell. You can also get the dog on the inside of the house, while people on the outside rattle windows and act like a burglar. Get suspicious and go who is it?? Watch...

Once they can bark on command.. Go "that'll do or quiet" then reward