When Will His Ears Stand Up?

Archie&C

Hi Everyone

Archie's little Westie ears aren't standing up yet so I was just wondering if anyone knew when they should?

He's 12-n-half weeks and they have risen slightly over the three weeks we have had him... the top half just don't want to stay up. Occasionally one or the other will stand up for a minute or so but nothing to get too excited about.

I have kept the fur on his ears trimmed like the breeder said but is there any other way to encourage his ears skyward?

ETA: I think i heard somewhere that you can use tape to train the ears to stand up? Is this right or did I make it up? :o If there is any truth in it, can someone let me know the right way to do it?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Archie&C

Hi Archie,

With GSD's if their ears aren't up by around 5 months you can use tape (elastoplast - must be very sticky). I wouldn't worry about it at the age your puppy is at the moment, don't forget he's probably teething too which, with GSD's, means their ears are up and down like yoyo's - also quite often floppy to one side or the other (very cute look actually).

Leave his ears for a while, check with his breeder about what to expect as each breed has different timing of ears etc. Only if the breeder suggests tape would I use it and then not until around 4.5 to 5 months of age minimum :laugh: .

Cheers,

Wuffies

Thanks very much for your reply Wuffies.

I will wait it out and keep an eye on them... i actually didn't realise that teething could make such an impact on their ears.

I had seen younger westies that had ears up at a younger age, so just wanted to check what was normal/appropriate for his age. Every dog is different though too I guess.

Just wanting to make sure my little fella is progressing with his "milestones" at the right rate :laugh:

It took a long time for my Westies ears to stand up. I think he was about 4months when they did manage to stay up. then he looked a bit like an alien until the rest of his body grew in proportion to his ears.

Westies pups are so cute, but boy can they be stubborn and strong willed :laugh:

I've found with my westie pup clients that if you clip the back of the ears it helps also. One puppy was done every month till 6 months and the ears stood up perfectly. Before the clipping was done his ears were floppy and when he was due for his clip they would flop again after about 6 months thye stood opn there oen with or without fur. It doesnt hurt them just trains them to stand upright. He is gorgeous!!! and I love his name

The ears will pobably do all kinda weird things until puppy stops teething. However if your puppy is going into the show ring you might want to ask your breeder how to tape puppies ears. Some breeders like yu to send photos so they can judge for themselves if they require taping as most of the time they come right on their own.

We used elastoplast, when it was time to take it off it was a very slow process and left some on to come off on its' own as when when we took it off one ear it bruised the ear.

Edited by sas