Skin Pigment

westiefan

When my westie was a pup his skin on his tummy was pink, when he got to the 12 month mark his skin turned black. Spoke to the vet about it and they said it was fine and norml. Now at 19 months this black skin/pigment has started to peel off and he is now a mottled pink and black on him tummy.

Is this normal?

Hi Westiefan, I can't answer your question but my Wire Haired is on an elimination diet and his pink skin has started to colour up with black sprots (change in pigmentation). I discussed this yesterday with a vet from Robert McDowell's place and she advised that it was often caused by a change in diet in younger dogs (my boy is 4).

he has had quite a few issues with his skin and has many allergies. his skin went black before he was put on the elimination diet. so that wld explain a few things then

I had a visit with my vet yesterday and she advised that the dark pigmentation is actually dead skin that has not fallen off. This is due to the itchy skin problems my dog has. She said that once we get him sorted out his skin should return to normal pigmentation - Ah the joys of owning itchy dogs :thumbsup: