Charlie Has Started Pacing

Zelahi

Over the last month Charlie who is my 9 month old cross breed has started pacing. It has since got more frequent in the last few days that as soon as he goes outside he starts doing it. He goes back and forth along one of the fence lines and sorta snaps at the air. He doesn't do it inside and he completly ignores all comands and won't even acknowledge his name being called. He also won't let me near him while he is doing it.

How do you stop pacing dogs?

I don't think he is doing it out of boredom as he has a lot of things to play with in the yard as well as my other dog Freja.

Would it most likely be anxiety problem?

I'm really confused as how to help him and would like to hear from others who have been in there situation or have suggestions on what to do.

Thanks

yeah it does sound like what happens to dogs after they have a seizure.

So question, while he is pacing can you grab his collar and take him in side and then it stops? If so then it isn't post seizure behaviour.

Look closely next time and see if you can see saliva on his snout, it will just be thick water type saliva. or throth around his mouth.

Does he walk into things like he seems blind? How fast is the pacing. Can you distract him at all with food or something that is his favourite thing that any other time he would come for?

I look forward to your reply

He doesn't seem blind, he will get distracted and turn his head and look at me but he doesn't stop pacing while doing so. I'll try moving him outside if he does it again tomorrow. OH has time off work so i'll make him keep an eye on him tomorrow. I did try grabbing him today but he kept jumping away as he doesn't like being handled around the collar at the best of times. I haven't noticed any saliva but then again i haven't been looking for it. He paces at his normal walking speed maybe a little faster but not much. If I explained this to my vet are there tests that could be preformed to see if seizures or epilepsy is the problem? I have never seen him have a fit but i would like to make sure he is ok

Hi,

Your Charlie may be OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) I have seen dog change gait from a trot to a pace. Most of these dogs would pace a distance, turn and pace back to a spot, turn and pace back to the original turning spot. These dogs when out walking (on lead) would trot, never pace.

Some breeds are more prone to this type of behaviour.

As others have suggested, video the dog doing it and show your vet.

Well when we take him on walks he is a real puller. He is possibly a Staffordshire terrier x ACD but i think he has a a few other breeds in him as well. I'll try and get some footage of it today, thanks for the help everyone :rolleyes: