Vet Just Told Me What I Am Feeding Is All Wrong

Veanna

Hi guys :eek:

We have just got back from taking our Maltese puppy to his first vet check since having him. He is healthy but when the vet asked what we were feeding him he completely shot us down and was so condescending.

Loki gets BARF patty in the morning and for lunch and a chicken wing for dinner. We have done lots of research on feeding BARF and were happy that this was the right way to go.

Vet didn't know what BARF was so I explained that it was biologically appropriate raw food. He said that may be all well and good but it can't compare to a premium commercial food.

I thought BARF was better because of no preservatives etc.

He also said not to give dogs raw chicken. I mentioned that every dog person I know (breeders, rescuers etc.) reccomend giving pups raw chicken wings and necks. He shot this down as well.

Please DOLers are we doing the right thing by Loki with what we feed?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're doing the right thing. The fact that the vet didn't even know what BARF is, says it all. Can't make any kind of balanced comment if you don't know anything about what you're shooting down.

:eek:

edit to add - did he suggest you bought the premium food he sells?

Edited by monsterpup

Don't worry about it...there are more vets against raw feeding then there are ones for it. Mostly due to lack of education on nutritional requirements.

I guess part of it is also that you do have to be careful with raw feeding and getting it right. Where as good/high quality dry food is all you need in a bag etc and so easy for them and easy for the pet owner. Also most nutritional info classes/seminars etc they have access to are from Hills/Euk etc so...biased towards dry food.

And some of the talks/seminars for raw feeding are so anti dry food you kinda get left going 'wt?' and treating it like pushy crap info. Eg dry food causes cancer, because sugar is in dry food and sugar is what they grow cancer in in petri dishes etc.

Edited by KitKat

Your doing the right thing.

We started feeding Sam dry biscuits and tinned food when she was a pup and then moved to BARF I asked our vet about it after reading threads on here and talking to breeders etc and he knew what it was and said it sounded like a good idea.

Sam is almost 15 months and gets a small handful of dry biscuits in the morning, a barf patty and a chicken neck for tea. Depending on the size of the chicken neck.

Veanna, dont worry about the vet.

If the dog looks healthy and happy then stick with it!!!

Alot of the vets have deals with dog food companies and some will take every opportunity to sell you that brand.

Our Humphrey has been fed BARF all his life. We always get great comments about him from our vet. Only time he suggested commercial food was when we were worried Humphrey was too skinny. So the vet recommended the Eukanuba dry food. To help supplement the BARF.

A good vet will look at your dog and the dogs health and if that is all good they'll say to continue with what you are doing.

Don't worry about it...there are more vets against raw feeding then there are ones for it. Mostly due to lack of education on nutritional requirements.

I guess part of it is also that you do have to be careful with raw feeding and getting it right. Where as good/high quality dry food is all you need in a bag etc and so easy for them and easy for the pet owner. Also most nutritional info classes/seminars etc they have access to are from Hills/Euk etc so...biased towards dry food.

And some of the talks/seminars for raw feeding are so anti dry food you kinda get left going 'wt?' and treating it like pushy crap info. Eg dry food causes cancer, because sugar is in dry food and sugar is what they grow cancer in in petri dishes etc.

Wow...Do they really say crap like that? ergh. :eek:

Phew thanks guys! You have all put my mind at ease. I don't have the confidence to prepare the BARF myself so buy the patties so I know everything is in the right proportions and he is getting everything he needs.

Loki loves his BARF, and attacks his chicken wings with zest hehe he is bright and happy.

Yes, the clinic is filled with commerical dog foods. I might take a list of the ingredients of the BARF patties in with me when we take him to puppy preschool and for his 12 weeks vaccinations just in case.

It is dissapointing to put so much thought and research into what is best for your dog only to be told your doing everything wrong, by someone who should no better.

Thank you again for your support everyone, I really appreciate it and I'm sure Loki would to :)

KateyKateyKatey, we went to the Vets 4 Pets at Ridgehaven. The ladies at reception were lovely and I also met the ladies that do the grooming. They were so thrilled to see a purebred in there instead of a DD and were so nice :vomit: The only person I met in the clinic that I didn't like was the vet :eek: :p

:(

Edited by veanna

It is alarming that this Vet doesnt know what BARF is, I would be concerned about what else they dont know!

If he doesnt know what it is , how can they make comment!!!!!

Due to not making any $$$ out of it will be the main concern here.

KitKat, do you mind me asking what seminars you are talking about? Are they for vets or general public?

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I have the details of another vet that a friend of mine uses, who she highly reccomends. Unfortunately OH already paid for his puppy preschool at that clinic, but I think once we finish his preschool and his 12 week vacc we will be transferring. I would much rather drive further and have a vet that listens and respects what I say, then go to the one that is more convenient yet not as polite or understanding.

I really appreciate everyone's replies, it has made me feel so much more confident in my own knowledge and has reassured me heaps, thank you ;)

sammy_ballerina, you can see his pics in the Magnificent Maltese thread in the Breed sub forum ;)

New vet. Just read your last post - cancel puppy school and when they ask why say 'I don't trust that the vet has kept up with current practice and knowledge and therefore cannot provide the best care for my pets'.

Edited by tramissa

KitKat, do you mind me asking what seminars you are talking about? Are they for vets or general public?

The normal ones the vets go to are usually run by the dry food companies. As to the talks you coloured in that was actually from listening to a half hour talk in a public arena by one of the leading raw/barf recommending types...and yeah...the cancer bit was just one example of what he was going on about. I doubt it would be worth the while of such as him going to other vets and saying such...the vets and other professionals would just up and leave. He was not giving a balanced view at all and so lost alot of interest.

I would find another vet but for entirely pragmatic reasons.

I would just about guarantee that any issues your dog develops would be put down by this vet to what you feed. If he/she can't get past that, you're going to find it difficult to develop the kind of relationship you need with your vet.

You don't necessarily need to find a vet that advocates raw feeding but you do need to find one who understands the principles and is prepared to work with you.

Staying with this vet is just going to cause on going conflict about what's best for your dog's health. Your vet should be your partner in your dog's care, not an antagonist.

Edited by poodlefan