Coat Stripper?

hi

I'm looking for a coat stripper for my dog,he is a border collie,i have never owned one before and was told a rake type comb/brush to get out the under coat is the way to go.

I was thinking the mars coat king.(not trying to promote)

anyone have any suggestions/opinions? :confused:

much appreciated :laugh:

Tanya

Hi Tanya,

I have used the coat king at the DIY dog wash at castle hill and found it to be good.

At home I just use a rake and a comb, I find that they work well. Sorry don't know the brands I got them at a dog show years before I got the dog. hehe was just a little to eager.

Maybe try posting this in the border collie thread you may get a better response there.

A photo of your dog is a must there for all us bc mad people.

I belong to another board which is solely for German Shepherds. Many on there swear by the Furminator, so I got one.

I have to say that on my Shepherd this is THE BEST tool I have used. Sadly, they are not very easy to find in Australia. One groomer sold them but for a hefty price.

I got mine on EBAY about 3 months ago and paid $65.00. This was for the largest one but that price included a spray in conditioner and postage from US.

See if you can get your hands on on. They work wonders.

I use both in the salon. Some coats the FURm is good but on others its impossible and time consuming. I like to use it on short and medium coated dogs. The mars is good on heavy double coated breeds, but as someone said i may not use it on show dog. The mars can cut coat, well both can really if your not careful. I find on borders and alike one of the best ways is just a GOOD rake. But you must bath and blowdry the dog prior to a complete going over. A clean coat is far easier to strip out!! You will acheive a much better result this way

Furminators are readily available in Australia. Try the BARF shop and if you click on the view all advertisers link at the top of the page an ad will come up for the Furminator.

If you go to Clipper World (they advertise here on DOL) they are a lot cheaper than the Barf Shop.

Dont use a Furminator on a BC, it is too time consuming to use it correctly on a BC and can do more damage and cut the coat if used incorrectly.

I use a good rake, and then layer brush with a metal comb. When blowing coat it needs to be done daily on Cooper for around 3 days.

hi

thanks everyone

i brush him at least every second day but its just not coming out with a normal bush. so I'll give the rake a go,i don't want to cut his coat. :thumbsup:

thanks

Tanya

heres a pic of my boy,some of his coat from a few weeks ago but is even curlier now,due to the under coat.

post-14989-1192664207_thumb.jpg

post-14989-1192664456_thumb.jpg

post-14989-1192664664_thumb.jpg

thanks again

Tanya

Guest Steph & Bam

I see a lot of BC's at my work, have owned one (family dog) before, and will be owning one again soon. I find that a standard pin brush works brilliantly on most BC's. we usually do a quick brush to remove knots from the coat, give them a bath and blow dry then attack the coat with the pin brush. It works wonders. There was one BC that we got through that looked like it had lost at least 3kgs!!