When Can I Stop Puppy Food

Spanner

Its been a few years since having a dog so I'm a bit rusty on some things. Our 9 month old GSP is still on puppy food (advance) as this is what we have been given by the breeder (we've only just got him). At what stage can we swap him from the puppy range and what do we swap him to, straight to adult or something else (like "active dogs" etc??) And what is a good dry dog food....is advance good? if not what do you recommend.

Also (sorry another question) how often do we give him a big bone? or does it just depend how long one lasts him?

Thanks!

Puppy biscuits are continued till 12 months (vet advised), first choice in biscuit Royal Canin, second choice (less expensive supermarket available) Purina One, but with the purina take care they also make Lucky Dog which is full of cereal. I use the purina in the purple bag. I do supplement my dogs diet with sardines, chicken necks, yoghurt, cheese, raw meat and fresh fruit and vegetables. I must admit at times I think the dog eats better than me.

As a former GSP owner I can also advise that, whatever you feed your GSP will be:

A. Greatly enjoyed

B. NOT ENOUGH!!

I had a friend who's GSP got into the laundry and ate most of a 20kg bag of dry food - and still wanted dinner!

Got any pics of your baby?

Thanks everyone for your recommendations.

Poodlemum, I've had a GSP before so I know what you mean about them and food! We haven't had him long so all I given him so far is his dry food and meaty bones and some raw meat but I'm reading what other people are feeding and will add a few other items to the menu.

Here is my "baby" (NOT, he's already 30kg, think I am going to have another big boy like my last GSP :rolleyes: )

post-21053-1192832621_thumb.jpg

I was told until around 18 months on the large breed pup for large dogs, but as the others have said, I would speak to your breeder. They all have there own recommendations for their breed :rofl:

Your boy is so handsome :rolleyes: :laugh:

Edited by Weimlover

Thanks everyone for your recommendations.

Poodlemum, I've had a GSP before so I know what you mean about them and food! We haven't had him long so all I given him so far is his dry food and meaty bones and some raw meat but I'm reading what other people are feeding and will add a few other items to the menu.

Here is my "baby" (NOT, he's already 30kg, think I am going to have another big boy like my last GSP :rolleyes: )

Oh, I Love GSP's - only thing is, I'm allergic to dog hair so every time I cuddled my boy I paid for it with a runny nose & itchy face. My boy was a nearly solid live - just a small white blaze on his chest and white tips on his paws - he was "Coolhand Bronze Wings" and we called him Wings. He had the most lovable, laid back nature and everyone loved him - especially cats!

We feed Nutro Natural Choice to our dogs and stop puppy food at 12 months.

With a Large Breed Dog (one that will mature to over 20 kg) the recommendation is that you feed to approx 15 months, whereas with the giant breeds, Saints etc the recommendation is to feed until 18 months.

We feed chicken wings rather than bones and also use Ziwipeak and Sardines, but Nutro forms the main part of their diet.

If you keep them on puppy food it can cause serious health problems. Pancreatitis and other diseases. TGhere are nutrients that are in the food in extremely high levels that a growning puppy can use and digest but an adult cant. You'd be better off getting your dog on a superpremium food (personally recomend Royal Canin) I had a very skinny standard poodle bitch that when I switched from the other puppy food to Royal Canin stacked on weight with just 2 means a day.

If that doesnt work then bulk the food up with raw meat like chicken, beef or a little lamb. That will bulk up the food and help put some weight on or chicken I hear are good especially with some show people.

Edited by goldiesRgreat

Spanner - I feed my 5yo GSP on Advance, and always have. People are always commenting about his health, coat etc. He goes very well on plain adult chicken, with some dental thrown in. (and it is Aussie made)

I wouldn't put him on adult yet, but maybe in a couple of months?? Ask your breeder as well.