Dandruff

Maddy

Our new foster Missy has really severe dandruff, she's getting fish oil capsules and we've bathed her with Honey and Oatmeal shampoo but it doesn't seem to have made much difference.

She's coming with us to the Hobart Show on Thursday so I'd really like for people to be able to pat her without raising a huge cloud of doggy dandruff!

Any suggestions?

I went through the same thing with Houndee. :cry:

My guys get a daily brush to stimulate the skin, he had a decent diet, his coat was shiny but he was still covered in scurf. I went through his diet which was/is pretty good but found the problem to be an inbalance between the Omega 3 6 and 9. Once we worked that out, with the help of MellG, I put him on performa 3 oil ( from horse supplies direct ) it took a couple of weeks for the reults to begin to show, but he was in good enough condition to enter his first show and win neuter in show :hug:

He has continued on the same diet with the addition of the Performa 3 and gets stripped daily with a stripping knife to keep the coat under control.

Missy's coat seems to be pretty bad, she has a few spots where the fur (which is black) has faded to a dirty grey/brown and plenty of scrapes, bald patches and random tufts.

Some things will improve with time (like the bald bits) but the dandruff looks like it needs something.

OT: - I loved that book as a child - Pokey Little Puppy

Yep. It's one of the first books I can remember. We had the audio tape too, it had the song, can't remember all the words but the start went: "Where in the world is the Pokey Little Puppy? Where in the world is he?" :hug:

Try something like Episoothe or Malaseb. I only bath Houndee every now and then, I spend about a half an hour a day with the stripping knife , stripping coat and that has made a big diffence.

Some owners have said to me that their Hound coats have taken months and months to strip and get into top condition.

I'd bath her in something medicated, start the performa 3 and then not bath her again for at least a month. It's a bit hard to put up with but you will get the results in the end.

P.S Houndee was very bald over the thighs and the inner thigh, he came good in a couple of months. I wish I had before and after pics.

Edited by Warley

To 250ml shampoo add 1 tbsp glycerine. Wash and massage well into the skin, rinse, then shampoo again and rinse again.

Don't use a conditioner.

Before the bath use a stripping block, like a rough soft pumice that's used for horses, sorry, can't remember the name. Really get down and shift all the old coat off the body.

Sardines work from the inside, say, twice a week but this is a quick fix. Usually works well.

Enjoy your trip.

At least Missy's baldness isn't the usual Greyhound bald thighs/chest, it's just small patches where she's hurt herself (she still has a few sizable cuts that aren't completely healed up yet) and the hair hasn't grown back yet.

I've brushed her down really well this morning and there was far less dandruff than the last few times, might try the Malaseb though.

My bloke had alot of dandruff too. I read somewhere (can't for the life of me remember where) that bathing them every second day will eradicate it - providing you have a good quality shampoo with conditioner. I did this for a week and he's not had ANY problem with dandruff since. P.s - I use Plush puppy everyday shampoo with henna.