Louie The Westie Pup

Louie

hi i just picked up my 8 week old westie on the weekend first night ate all his food fine, but didnt sleep, next night only had half his food he has a small bowl of dry food that he can get to any time then two good spoons of can puppy meat. Now i know when dogs eat grass its because they are sick but i think its just something to chew on is this something puppys do, i haven't had a dog since i was young so any help would be great.

your puppy should be receiving 3 small meals a day, I wouldnt allow free feeding (especially if you're not home) becuase it will be a constant eat - poop cycle. Plus the dog will learn discipline about meal times. Leave water out 24 hours a day but not food.

Dont feed too late in the day. Its like us, we eat late and all that energy keeps you awake, and pups having small tummies and bladders will be up needing to go toilet if you feed late too and you will find toilet training harder.

Westies should be on a good quality dry food, I wouldnt bother with puppy can food but give a chicken neck or wing (fresh only but stored properly like human food) as a meal. I would go Royal Canin/Eagle pack or something with no artificial additives and says "Complete" which means it contains all the minerals necessary for your dog.

I agree not to change his diet so soon after his arrival.

He's only been with you a few days and is probably still settling in. Just continue with the breeder's diet recommendations. What he doesn't eat after 15-20 minutes, take away and give it back at the next meal.

Sometimes dogs eat grass to settle their stomachs. It's not uncommon to have digestive upset in the first few days in a new home. If he has energy, poops look normal, drinking water etc. don't worry at all.

If you want to change his diet, wait another week or so, and do it gradually over about 4-5 days. If he seems good on what's he's on, leave it, is my advice. I do like to add some raw foods like chicken necks/ wings, brisket bones etc. Go slow!

Edited by Poodle wrangler

Awww what an adorable little Westie baby!

Archie wasn't very interested in food for about a week while he was settling in but he loved the chicken necks and if i mixed together a bit of dry and some mince.

He was also on Supercoat to start but we've since changed to Hills and have found he likes that much better. Also, i found that the supercoat pieces were quite large for such a little tyke so i often soaked it in either a bit of warm water or puppy milk to make it a little easier to crunch through. Archie would take it away one bit at a time and munch on it like a chew biscuit :thumbsup:

I wouldnt allow free feeding

Me neither. And it does nothing towards teaching a pup/dog that you control this 'highly valued resource'. Not to mention that dogs are not 'grazers' by nature.

Edited by Erny

Gorgeous pup that Louie! (biaised opinion from me though!!)

Westie parents please look into feeding the BARF diet to your westies - a commercial diet is likely to conrtibute to skin problems in the future. I had a lady contact me recently who had a 5 year old westie whose skin was in a shocking state - he's lost all his hair of his back - he had been on a supermarket dog food brand for all of his 5 years and it finally starting causing major problems - so much so that they wanted to have the dog put to sleep to put him out of his misery. His diet has been switched to BARF and he's improving (along with reducing the intake of cortisone since the skin condition presented itself).

A bad diet can be a major problem for wetsies - please do some research and start here and here .

As a westie mum to 2 healthy westie boys who are now 7 & 6 years old, I swear by a healthy BARF diet as they both have terrific skin and are in the best of health. It's really not expensive to feed this type of diet.

i just got back from the vet and he gave some stuff to give him and checked his poo because they have been runny today he thinks it just the stress of moving but thinks everything will be fine so thanks to the people that have given me advice last few days he starts puppy pre school next week

post-21345-1193819643.jpg

just a quick up date hes off supercoat and on hills puppy small bites much better still likes the grass but his poos are back to normal he starts puppy pre school next week anyone got any ideas on how to get a dog to sleep right through the night he only gets up at 4 now i take him out side for toilet but does not go got to sit with him for 30 mins then hes fine until about 630 ish.

Our Border Terrier will eat a bit of grass each day and she seems quite happy and fine. Poppy will occasionally and Ruby does too. Poppy will eat it if you hand her a blade or two of grass. I could sit there and feed it to her all day if I wanted to, she would continue to eat it. :rolleyes:

Cute puppy, gotta love the terriers. :)