Title Changed, Molly The Labrador's Thread.

littlelabrador

I think we are getting there. I'm also getting her to sit, before i go through the gate into our kitchen etc, so she doesnt try to run out as soon as i open it. She's getting the idea. The only problem is the doorbell. She goes a little nuts when someone rings the doorbell or knocks on the door, and practically jumps over the gate to get there. She gets very excited still for new people, but is calming right down for family and people who are here often.

Now, if only i could stop her pooing overnight !

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny story. Yesterday i put an egg, cracked over the kibble, in her bowl for lunch. The breeder had said she had had egg, but as we'd had so many gut problems when we got her, Molly had not had egg in that time.

She looked at it, looked at me, tried to start eating her lunch and backed off, jumping in the air, about a foot up, making 'roo roo' noises, it was soooo funny. She just had no idea what it was and looked like she was saying 'what the hell is this you've put in my food'. I left her licking it, and eventually she came out wagging her tail, so i think she liked it, but her reaction to it was just so funny. I'm looking forward to being able to add other things, kibble must get boring day after day. She has now had chicken mince, beef mince and egg, with no hassles. I've bought some sardines to try, but will leave it another week or so. Then i will try different vegies again and see what happens to her gut. Weighed her the other day and shes now 11.8kg, so shes gaining a little over a kg a week still. Not sure when that starts to slow down ? She is almost 16wks now.

she is so cute, wonderful photo's , I can never get my puppy to set still long enough to get a good photo of her she always runs to the camera. Just one question, I thought I read some where that raw eggs weren't suitable for dogs that they had to be cooked, but I can't remember why at the moment, maybe someone else can comment.

Just one question, I thought I read some where that raw eggs weren't suitable for dogs that they had to be cooked, but I can't remember why at the moment, maybe someone else can comment.

Unless they have a digestive intolerance reason for it, raw eggs (yolk and white) are fine (and good!).

I have not heard that eggs have to be cooked for dogs. The breeder said just a raw one cracked over the kibble was fine, which is what i've done. She actually had cooked egg yesterday, lol, when my daughter decided she didnt want the egg she asked for at breakfast and put the whole plate on the floor for Molly, who thought it was just fabulous ! haha.

My mum always gave our other labs a raw egg too, supposed to be very good for their skin and coat. like sardines i think. I think the whole raw egg thing is probably like it is with humans, if they are pregnant, or immunocompromised but otherwise fine. I guess someone will tell us !

ah, Molly will sit still, Molly spends half her day sleeping, hahaha. Shes a labrador remember ! But i've got her trained now anyway to sit and stay, for a short time.

Ever seen a puppy chase bubbles ? too funny. Was blowing bubble solution for my daughter and Molly was going crazy chasing them, jumping up in the air to catch them, trying to eat them etc. Next time i get them out, i am going to video it and send it to funny home videos. After seeing what won $200K on that last weekend, im sure we can beat that.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, haven't posted for a while, December has been a really busy month.

Molly is doing great. Shes 18 or 19 weeks now, i've lost track of it, lol. Growing well, about 14kg now.

One question, Molly is being desexed in about 3.5 weeks time, and I just know she is going to be the one who will try and pull out the stitches. Is there some kind of stitching i can ask them to do, that is under the skin rather than on top ? I know human surgeons can do this, just cant remember what its called. I'm happy to pay extra if it stops her pulling them out.

Once she is over the desexing, i think the obedience club will start its 09 sessions, so we hopefully will be doing that too. She's not naughty at all anymore, sits, stays, comes, still wont drop, but thats no big deal. Not so great with going for walks, pulls all over the place, but we've only been a few times. She gets a fair bit of exercise in our yard, so dont want to over do it.

any advice on the stitches appreciated.

HI, glad to hear that she is doing well. She'll be fine when getting desexed, most dogs get through with no drama's. The only thing you have to watch for is if she starts licking her wound/sutures. If she does, then you can get a special collar from your vet called an elizabethan collar (a bit like the old bucket around the neck). This collar restricts Molly from turning her head to lick at herself. Sutures are out in ten days - it'll be all over before you know it!

• 3 weeks later...

Molly was desexed 3 days ago, and no problems so far. Shes been very good and isnt really bothered by the wound/stitches at all. She hardly ate or drank the first 36 hours after, but since then has made up for it, as usual.

So, just need to wait another 9 days for the stitches to be removed, then we can finally organise doing the obedience classes.

Not much else has changed, shes a great puppy, gets into a little mischief as they all do. She's tolerating more foods now, can eat most fruits, vegies, eggs, sardines, other fish, meat etc, with no diarrhoea so i think her gut just needed to 'mature'. Haven't got any more updated pics but she still looks the same, just a bit bigger.