Puppy Development Calender

Steve K9Pro

Steve, thanks for this thread. My German Seheperd dog puppy is really trying to establish herself as leader. How do I stop her biting? I've started isolating her when she bites. She's non biting when I get her from the pen after about 20 mins but then when I put her on the lead she sits and won't come with me. Rather than pull her I put her straight back into the pen. Am I doing the right thing?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i have a pup that won't come when called at all she is about 13 weeks old now, i had to leave her at a friends house for two weeks but before i left her she was always at my feet wanting a pat and jumping on me and alway came when called my friend has a pup of the same breed and about two weeks older that does not come then called now did my pup learn this from the other pup because she is now a real pain, i was told to call her for tea and if she did not come and would not go into her pen for tea then leave her out and take her tea away and in the morning do the same again i was told by doing this by the next night she would be the first pup in the pen. at the moment i can't do this at all because every night my back yard is full of sheep as we have had wild dogs killing the sheep if left out in thier paddock, now i have tried sitting on the back steps giveing the other pups cuddles and treats for over an hour but she would still not come to me and i could not waste any more time trying to catch her nicely as a had to get the sheep up before dark so i had to conner her and carry her to the pens now none of the other pups stayed at my friends place and are all still fine to catch in fact i just open the pen gates and say 2 in and 2 pups go in then i repeat this for the next 2 pens and all go in as told apart from ruby (Ruby was away because she was sold but the sale was dropped the day before the transport was to pick her up) so would you have any more ideas on how to get her to come i have never had this problem before with a pup so young yes older male pups play deaf but she is not playing deaf she is just standing back watching me and if a take a step towards her she runs away and if i sit down she will not come any closer, she got very car sick going down to my friends place and then coming back again so maybe she blames me for that ???

Thanks K9!! :thumbsup:

I read this a few months before I got my puppy so I was prepared for the different stages. I'm surprised at how spot-on you were with the first fear period... it seems as though the day Geordie turned 12 weeks all that boldness and fearlessness disappeared and we suddenly had a dog that would jump at the smallest noise.

Through it now though and now we've found ourselves a 16 week old little terror!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lili has just turned 21 weeks and has gone from barely barking at all to woofing her little heart out at anything unusual.

She saw some curtains in our bedroom move and completely freaked out, then heard some builders using a nail gun and it was the same. The barking is not aggressive, it is out of fear, I can tell she's scared just by her body language.

I know that there will be things she hasn't been exposed to yet that might scare her but before this she just took things as they came.....

Could this be a fear period? She hasn't seemed to have one yet....

And if so what is the best way to handle it? When she gets scared I try and distract her by playing with a toy, scratching her belly or going into the room walking round to show her it's all fine...Is this right?

A: I know that there will be things she hasn't been exposed to yet that might scare her but before this she just took things as they came.....

Could this be a fear period? She hasn't seemed to have one yet....

K9: It certainly sounds like it from your description, it is late but it could be peaking now.

A: And if so what is the best way to handle it? When she gets scared I try and distract her by playing with a toy, scratching her belly or going into the room walking round to show her it's all fine...Is this right?

K9: Not really, any reaction you have to this fear only empowers it, ignore this behaviour & try to avoid taking her out too much over the next few weeks.

• 1 month later...

K9

thanku very much for ur calendar

it is VERY helpful

i have a 14yr old little girl atm

and we are having problems with her biting, as well as barking and growling at us

this is especially when we tell her off

she does it all with tail wagging and in a seemingly playful manner, however i would like to stop both behaviours asap

i had no problems like these with my last staffy

this one seems to have quite the attitude.

any help will be very much appreicated

thanku

• 2 months later...
K9

thanku very much for ur calendar

it is VERY helpful

i have a 14yr old little girl atm

and we are having problems with her biting, as well as barking and growling at us

she does it all with tail wagging and in a seemingly playful manner, however i would like to stop both behaviours asap

thanku

sorry to correct that

it was supposed to say 14 weeks

she is now 24 weeks

still having problems with her toilet training

• 4 weeks later...
K: i have a 14yr old little girl atm

K9: Your pup is probably just trying to get you to play, it seems it is being triggered by your raised voice? I would try grabbing the pup & holding it still & see what effect this has.

R: K9 the VET-(de-dum) told us we cant have leigh sleep with us,is that true ?

Says she thinks she is at our leval and takes over,

BTW_she is deaf now to-LOL

K9: Vets are good for curing a sick dog, they are not stand out in training & behaviour so no it isn't true.

How are you training when your pup is deaf?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this Steve, its so handy, I read it when Cruise was a Baby, and now he is 8 months,

He spooked at a photographer with his large camera on Friday night, usually he is an outgoing friendly dog, but I couldnt get anything out of him, He would not pay any attention to me, until the camera went away... He has seen this guy with his camera before, and it hasnt worried him, until Friday night

Some people had said he is 'at that age' so I referred to it and yes he is... I will see how he responds in the future.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks K9 force for this post. We had recently had a little Labrador as a new addition to the family and prior to getting her we had done months of research, but I think that this post has been the most informative and to the point piece of information I have read so far! Though this is my first post on a dog forum, so I look froward to learning much more for our new best friend. :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...