Proheart Vaccine Vs Tablets?

jillybean

I'm taking my pup to the vet next week to get her vaccinations, and a friend (who's studying to be a vet) suggested I get the Proheart vaccine whilst I'm there. Do any of you guys get your dog treated for heartworm using an annual vaccine?

My other option would be to just treat with tablets, which to me doesn't seem like all that much hassle since it'd be just once a month with the Advantix anyway. Plus it would work out cheaper :)

Any pros/cons for vaccine vs tablet? They're both as effective right?

Thanks!

Yep, they are equally effective. I would be going for the monthly tablet (or the daily one from the supermarket), they are much safer, and better for the dog.

Anything which is toxic enough to kill imho, cannot be good in the dog's system for 12 months. It is an easier way for owners, but perhaps not the best option for the dog, according to the research I have done.

Some dogs have had some pretty horrible side effects (including death) from the Proheart injection, i would be sticking to the monthly tabs or chews :).

Any monthly tablet that does heartworm ONLY (none of the combined products ), is good for 6 weeks, it is cheap & effective.

Proheart 6 (6 monthly) injection was removed from use in USA , Canada & parts of Europe , due to adverse reactions, seizures- death.........

Australia has Proheart 12 (12 monthly ) which is THREE times the dose of the banned product. The manufacturers instructions for the product state that it is a drug to be given when no other method can be administered...ie as a last resort..........yet our Vets give it routinely :)

My pup has had one injection but it only lasts 3 months and I'm supposed to go back for another in a months time, but I would rather switch to the tabs after doing some reading. DO I just start monthly tabs from the date the next injetion was due or is it more complicated to switch over?

Proheart was pulled from the market here in the USA. I don't know if any vets that use it anymore. The monthly Sentinel is what our dogs receive. :confused:

I was told that the proheart injection in the USA is different to the one currently used in australia, i would love to know the difference though :) . From my understanding the US one covered the dog for 6months, and was a different cocktail of drugs.

My understanding was that it was the same drugs but three times the dosage of the 6 monthly one used in the US.

ProHeart 12 has gained a 47% market share

in Australia, where it offers 12 months of

protection and contains 3 times the amount

of moxidectin as ProHeart 6.

ProHeart products are all manufactured

at one site by the same method,

using the same ingredients

ProHeart 6 was associated with a

27% increased risk of mast cell tumor

Note that oral monthly heartworm medications containing moxidectin are also suspect -

while one of the oral heartworm preventives was associated with

a 23% increased risk of death (22.0 per 10,000 exposures).

Safety profile of Moxidectin

Interestingly - this same document states there is a 422% increase in mast cell tumour rates in dogs that receive NSAIDS.

Manufacturer's Warning on Proheart

ed to fix link

Edited by morgan

Sentinel Spectrum here too MM. Proheart is too much at once

Any breed that has Collies, Shelties, Aussie Sheps, Sighthounds, Akitaa, OES have an Ivermectin Sensitivity ( from the mutant MDR1 gene) and if you give any of these breeds Proheart, Heartgard, Revolution or any "mectin" based produts it can be fatal. You can get a DNA Test here in Aus for these breeds for the MDR1 gene , costs about $60.00

have a look at

www.dogsadversereactions.com and you will be mortified

Hi Everyone

We give our Akita's monthly heartguard as the mosquitoes are rife here in south east Queensland.

We also do the advantix spot on in 2 week intervals as ticks are also a big problem in our area and finding a tick on a Akita would be a nightmare.

Craig is a pineapple farmer and in the last month Craig and his brother have had several ticks on them some days they find 3 or 4 a day crawling around on them. :rofl:

We have not ever had any fleas or ticks on the dogs (cross fingers and toes) but I do not like giving them the heartgaurd invectermin allergy can be a big problem in Akita's.

South east Queensland a great place to live but mosquitoes ticks and cane toads not to mention snakes are a problem.

Toad problem is fixed with dettol but the buggers just hop in thru the chain wire.

Does anyone know if we can switch from heartguard monthly to sentinel tablets with out a test ?

Thanks in advance

Malisa

post-4863-1194091886_thumb.jpg

Mason at 2yrs 8 months

I got my male Rotty the injection about 3 months ago without any problems, the vet didn't mention any possible side effects. My female Rotty has been on monthly Interceptor tablets for her whole life.