Puppy Supplies "kit"

Beks

Hi all!

Hoping for some advice from you all...

I'm buying an 8 month old and 8 week old beagle in a couple of weeks. My husband and I have spent the last few weekends in and out of different pet supply stores looking at collars, leads, harnesses etc etc. I'm starting to get confused by all the choices!

What I want is a "basic essentials" kit for training my dogs to walk on the lead (although the 8 month old is already trained, I'm told). What sort of collar should I get for them? Should I use a "choker" chain when training them to walk on the lead? How long should the lead be? What about those big extendable ones you can buy - are they any good for training dogs? And the harnesses available - I've seen a few different brands which can double up as a "car seatbelt" type thing - are these good? Is there any brand that's better than the rest?

I'm also wanting to start using the "Triangle Of Temptation" training technique, so I know I need a regular "flat" collar for that, as well as a lead of some length, but apart from those two, I'm not sure what else I need!

Also - what about chew toys for the puppy? I've read somewhere that you should only buy "soft" toys to protect their teeth, but then i've also read that harder toys (like Kongs) are good for them! What the! :)

Any advice would be most welcome!

Beks :cry:

P.S. Here's a picture of the 8 month old for those of you who haven't already seen him (I'm sure there's a few people left in Australia who haven't!) How cute!!

post-21328-1193983805_thumb.jpg

My understanding is that beagles probably shouldn't be let off leash, so an extendable one might be good later on.

But you asked for basics. My basics would be:

Nylon flat collar, adjustable. Make sure it fits! Do NOT buy one too big for pup unless you want him to hang on it. Nylon ones are lighter, softer on dog.

4 foot long leash. Light leash for 8 week old puppy (cheapie is fine as it's just to start)

Water bowl (larger)

Food bowl X 2 (smaller)

Harness for car (sled dogs use harnesses, so don't think they won't pull with a harness on :)). I just bought a cheapie at one of those $2-type stores. None I saw were guaranteed to protect your dog in a crash. But best the dog's not a flying missile.

Waterproof rug for car.

Kong chew toy- they make a special puppy Kong, too.

Bedding- I'd expect some destruction, so keep it cheap and simple.

Crate- one each if you intend to use them.

Length of rope for TOT.

Indoor mat/ cushion each (if they're to be indoors)

Puppy shampoo-though mine are just as likely to get the human stuff- as long as it's mild.

Pups and dogs like raw bones- both mine love brisket bones and chicken necks.

Choke chains have gone out of fashion. Most obedience clubs prefer you use a flat collar, unless your dog can "slip it's collar" (ask the breeder), then a "Martingale" type is suggested.

My evil 10 month old pup chewed thru it's lead in 5 minutes flat today- sitting near us outdoor at cafe.

Try Lupine brand- they replace collars and leads even if chewed!!! Nice quality and <$20. Suggest 3/4" width for a beagle.

My mutts have

A laundry mat and a folded up picnic rug on top for outdoor snoozing

For bedding in the crates (Mishka has an airline approved box, Buffy has a soft crate from ebay) they both get newspaper on the bottom, then Buffy has the sheepswool underlay that came with hers, then they both have soft cuddly blankets and a polar fleece rug thrown in for them to cuddle under or burrow through.

They get a new bone each every 2nd day, the kong's not been touched but they love chewing a rubber ring I got, I forget where I got it.

My two have a leash each. Mishka's came with his harness which he hardly ever wears anyway and Buffy's was bought as a Staffy leash (for my ex staffyx) but it suits her anyhow. I could walk her with an old ferret leash she pulls so rarely, but I prefer to know that if she does lunge at something, the leash won't snap.

Buffy has got a new martingale collar coming in the mail, because even though I have an idea of how to use a 'choker' chain, I'm a bit slow to react and I might end up choking her and doing regrettable damage.

My mutts have

A laundry mat and a folded up picnic rug on top for outdoor snoozing

For bedding in the crates (Mishka has an airline approved box, Buffy has a soft crate from ebay) they both get newspaper on the bottom, then Buffy has the sheepswool underlay that came with hers, then they both have soft cuddly blankets and a polar fleece rug thrown in for them to cuddle under or burrow through.

They get a new bone each every 2nd day, the kong's not been touched but they love chewing a rubber ring I got, I forget where I got it.

My two have a leash each. Mishka's came with his harness which he hardly ever wears anyway and Buffy's was bought as a Staffy leash (for my ex staffyx) but it suits her anyhow. I could walk her with an old ferret leash she pulls so rarely, but I prefer to know that if she does lunge at something, the leash won't snap.

Buffy has got a new martingale collar coming in the mail, because even though I have an idea of how to use a 'choker' chain, I'm a bit slow to react and I might end up choking her and doing regrettable damage.

I have got for my eventual GAP adoptees:

Long leads

Head harnesses

Collars

Oooh another beagle! I have a beagle too - she's just 11 weeks old at the moment!

I would get a basic collar, either soft leather or nylon. Keep in mind that the 8 week old will grow out of it pretty quickly so you'll have to replace it soon anyway!

I wouldn't use a choker chain, I don't think it's necessary.

I'd suggest a standard length leash, not a retractable one beccause you don't want them to get too used to being able to run too far away from you. You should get them used to staying close by your side whilst walking. But the 8 week old won't be able to go for walks till after his/her next vaccine anyway.

You need a car harness if you plan to have your dogs in your car, unless you use a crate type thing. Legally you need to have your dogs restrained in the car. If you get one which is adjustable, just buy a medium size and you should be able to make it small enough even to fit your puppy.

Squeaky chew toys are great! Kongs are also good. I've found soft toy animals that they sell at the Reject shop which make animal noises when you press their tummy - my puppy LOVES these! But I don't leave them with her because she's likely to rip their arms off and eat the stuffing haha

Hi everyone. Thanks for the advice. We went back to the shop today and ($100 later) had a couple of Kong toys, two leads, a car harness, collars (including an adjustable one for the puppy - I hope it's the right size! I can't picture how big her neck will be!), and a giantwaterbowl. Plus some Schmackos for the long drive home from the breeder :rofl:

Jillybean - are beagles likely to "slip" their leash? My mums got a mini fox terrier who does it easily, and I once had a scare when he got loose next to a main road! I nearly had a coronary, tried madly chasing after him wearing thongs (not easy!), only to find him 10 minutes later standing on my verandah waiting for me as if to say "well, what took you so long?".

Needless to say from that day onwards he wore a harness when we went for walkies!

Beks :cry:

P.S. Jillybean - Your beagle is so cute!! I love that photo!

Edited by Beks

Jillybean - are beagles likely to "slip" their leash? My mums got a mini fox terrier who does it easily, and I once had a scare when he got loose next to a main road! I nearly had a coronary, tried madly chasing after him wearing thongs (not easy!), only to find him 10 minutes later standing on my verandah waiting for me as if to say "well, what took you so long?".

Needless to say from that day onwards he wore a harness when we went for walkies!

Beks ;)

Haha yes puppy shopping is expensive! And if you're anything like me you'll keep buying them toys and other little bits and pieces almost everytime you go past a pet shop! ;)

I haven't had any troubles with Chloe and walking on a leash, but you could still use a harness instead of you're worried about it.

Beks ;)

Haha yes puppy shopping is expensive! And if you're anything like me you'll keep buying them toys and other little bits and pieces almost everytime you go past a pet shop! ;)

I haven't had any troubles with Chloe and walking on a leash, but you could still use a harness instead of you're worried about it.

the stuff i listed cost me $188.

don't ever go into a pet store without at least $100. It just isn't worth going in without it!!!

lol.