12 Month Old Refuses To Eat Dry Food

periau

I am a bit worried about my 12 month old kelpie x girl.

I have tried ADVANCE/EAGLE PACK/PRO PLAN/SCIENCE DIET/ COPRICE/BONNIE/SUPERCOAT/and Ala CARTE.

She will eat a few biscuits then refuse to eat them, it's like she has something against chewing. I can put hot water on them to make them soft but she still only eats a mouthful and leaves the rest.

She eats bones no problems so it can't be anything with her teeth.

I dont like feeding my dogs tinned food but have a few tins for emergencies- and even then it's Nature's Gift. I dont have any problems with her eating that.

Do I have to be firmer and say "she'll eat when she's hungry"?

She's not skinny- yet.

Do I have to be firmer and say "she'll eat when she's hungry"?

Yep.

She won't starve in a couple of days. If she doesn't eat it, just pick up her bowl and put it somewhere ant proof for next time. Eventually she'll give in.

Don't soak either, there's no need if she's happily eating bones, and you won't be able to keep it for next time.

Maybe try mixing in some BARF patties into the dried food?

My Sibe was a picky eater at that age at if he didn't eat his food within 15 minute of me putting it down, tough - he could wait to eat until the next feeding time (sometimes the next day).

Is the BARF diet more economical? I have 3 dogs and was just thinking about the cost- that's all.

The other 2 eat their dry food- admitedly not like they used to. ( They used to scoff it, and look for more!!) They take their time now- but at least they eat it.

I used to feed all my dogs a big mixture every day, in each bowl there would be : dry food, beef mince, chicken mince/carcass, cooked doggie stew and a Supercoat biscuit !! After getting waaay sick of how much i was giving them to keep them in good nick (and of course they started getting fussy and leave the dry or the beef etc) i went on the hunt and came home with Eagle Pack Holistic dry food

And thats all they get now with a chicken carcass every now and then. And YES the first few days (or week) they wouldnt eat it all, so id sit with them and anyone that had any left overs after 20mins i would take their bowls away til next feed. I didnt give in (as hard as it is to resist those beautiful eyes) and now i have a whole kennel of dogs who wolf down their meal happy as Larry, they look fantastic and im not giving them about 2kg of food a day!!

Dont give in, choose a GOOD brand of complete dry food, give her a bone every now and then, take her food away if its not eaten within 15-20mins and dont feed her again until her next meal time (whether it be the next day or whatever) and she should learn to eat eventually and you dont have to worry about a fussy eater anymore!

Dogs are smart and they sooo have (most) of us figured out! She has you wrapped around her little toe at the moment ;)

Edited by romanose

Dogs are smart and they sooo have (most) of us figured out! She has you wrapped around her little toe at the moment ;)

Yes i figured that out- Mum was giving in and starting to hand feed her!

She has a very soft nature.

One of my fosters wasn't keen on kibble, so I used to open a tin of Nature's Gift and mix a little of that and some warm water into his food, and he then ate it quite happily. Doesn't have to be much of the tinned food, you can put the rest in the fridge for the next few days. Maybe kibble on its own just doesn't smell interesting? You could also try mixing something like a bit of tinned fish (sardines/tuna) in with it.

I guess some dogs just don't like dry food...when my boy was a pup I would give him dry food for brekky and I'd come home from work and it would still be there. I tried 4/5 different types of premium dry food (e/pack etc.) and he just wasn't interested. Can't say I've ever had a problem with him not eating since switching over to barf diet. He's not once left anything :thumbsup:

Hi Poodle Wrangler-

She was recently at the vet to be boarded and had her vaccination.

re: the good quality food- which one is right for my girl?

Anyone else have the same thing that all their dogs are on a different food each?

I want to feed them the best that I can afford.

Currently they all eat the same thing- BUT i really think my other girl needs *light* food. And my boy needs light mixed with active because of the flyball.

They are all eating a mix at the moment of supercoat/a la carte/ bonnie light, coprice and advance. I got to the bottom of the bags and mixed them all in!