Crying Puppy Please Help

Engelvongott

I haven't spoken to them yet. I think I am still having wishful hopes that all will be fine.

If I were in your position, I would definitely contact them sooner rather than later. Did they actually sell you the pup as a show prospect? On the main register? And often breeders will know their puppies/lines well enough to know if it's something that is 'typical' or something that you need some help with. A good breeder would actually WANT you to contact them if you are having problems!

I can sympathize with you. When we got our last Pom baby she cried and barked constantly if she was allowed to. She sleeps is the office just down the hall from our bedroom with the other bitches but that was not good enough for her in the beginning. She is a very human dependent dog. I spent many sleepless nights hiding just out of her sight and when she would bark I would come out and chastise her and send her into her crate. I am glad i persevered though as she eventually learned to be quiet, after about 2 weeks. She still is the first to wake in the morning though (around 5am) but at least I now get some sleep. Complaining neighbours make it harder for you though. Try talking to them and explain what the problem is. Assure them that it is a short term thing.

The vet has told me that she has very severe problems and isn't even sure if I will be able to solve it. The vet is also doubting the date of birth, saying that she should have probably lost a tooth by now.

Did you say your puppy was 12 weeks? That's still quite early for them to be losing teeth. Teething may only just be starting, but for some dogs it doesn't happen till 4-5 or even 6 months.

When you say your vet said she has very severe problems, is this in regards to the crying and whinging? Or something else? I don't see why the crying is that severe a problem?

The severe problems is seperation anxiety. Can't stand us to be out of her sight if we are she goes crazy.

Since my last post things are starting to look up. She has started to play with Gema my other dog and show an interest in toys and treats, so we have taught her to sit. Sometimes she does it. I have placed a matress between the lounge and seat and she lays there without me even telling her to go to it. She seems to be coming out of her shell a little bit more. The vet decided that she shouldn't sit on the lounge at the moment, maybe later. Last night she slept in a dog box with mattress and squeeky toy in my daughters room and behaved quite well. She announced at midnight that she wasn't happy so I took her out to the grass and she did her business. Yeah. Then I set my alarm for 3 am to get her out again but unfortunately I missed the alarm so she woke me at 5.30 and I took her out. When she went into my daughters room she headed straight to the box. Unfortunately she had soiled all the bedding so she didn't want to go back in. I don't blame her.

Oh I just wrote a pile of stuff and accidently deleted it. Bugger. Try again.

My next step is I am thinking about incorporating crate training. Are there any suggestions? I have heard a few different ideas, one being, that the crate should be big enough for matress, food, water and down the other end paper for the night time lock down. Other suggestion is just big enough so she can turn around and stand up. I don't plan on locking her up 24/7 but I have heard if I do it right in the future she will want to go in there because she likes it and feels safe. I want her to feel safe.

So if anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them. Oh and feel free to give me an idea for a name. :laugh: As I have said we have had her since sunday and still no agreeing on anything. From the family so far the suggestions have been:

Missy

Tesa

Cloe

Bela

Caly

Storm and seriously lots of others which now slip my mind. I would like it to have something with her registered name which skipping the first part her registered name is Blue Cloud. We had a look on the net for the German Translation of Blue and Cloud but lets just say. No way. So feel free to suggest away.

Thanks heaps for your suggestions so far.

Edited by Karryn67

German Spitz DO like the sound of their own voices, I am afraid. One reason I would not have one where I am right now.

I would think about crate training her. Definately. I hope the barking quietens down for you - we picked up a new puppy on Saturday and he is great overnight now, barks a bit in the day but its only playing with the other dogs through the fence, and I am home most of the time so I dont let him carry on, but if my neighbours had anything to complain about they would, and I would not get the benefit of a note in the letter box!!!! They go straight to council.

I wouldgo to all your neighbours and explain you have a new pup and that it will take a little time but you would apprecioate it if they let you know if they hear barking or ccarrying on.

Crate train - best thing ever,.

As for a name:

Sprite, Sprtiz, Callie, Foxie.

Here are my toilet training tips:

HOUSETRAINING TIPS

Ok - first thing to do is decide on the command (I call it “do wees”) you will repeat over and over. You have to really focus on the dog for about 2-3 days to be successful. You have a pocketful of special treats on hand all the time for the first 2-3 days.

Walk the dog several times a day and every time the dog wees, you get very excited and keep saying “Good boy/girl, do wees, do wees” – give the dog treats every time.

First thing in the morning, last thing at night and every time you see the dog eat or drink (both precursors to weeing) whisk the dog into the garden and repeat the command “do wees”. Get very excited and present treats every time dog goes.

The dog’s aim in life is to please you. If the dog should have an accident inside the house – say NOTHING at all. The dog soon gets the idea that when he/she goes outside you are really, really pleased and he/she gets rewarded.

NB: Please note that the smell of urine must be properly removed for any housetraining to be successful. There are products on the market such as “Urine Off” but they are very expensive. A mix of white vinegar and water is a much cheaper alternative and should work for tiles and other surfaces although you should always take care with wood etc. For carpet/rugs, I use either a mixture of Napisan/water or bicarb of soda and water. I completely soak the stain using a dab on technique with a cloth. When it is very wet, I use an old towel to soak up the excess moisture. Again, be careful on any expensive carpet/rug, I have never had any problems but I cannot guarantee any method here.

Looks like things have improved but Spitz types are generally yappers and attention seeking little characters. Not for me as I have neighbours who won't tolerate any noisy dogs.

Try a SnugglePuppie. My Pepper cried non-stop the first three nights when we brought her home, but she settled down soon after that. She loves her SnugglePuppie, although she will try and "kill" it sometimes!

Good luck with the crate training. Best thing ever!

My next step is I am thinking about incorporating crate training. Are there any suggestions? I have heard a few different ideas, one being, that the crate should be big enough for matress, food, water and down the other end paper for the night time lock down. Other suggestion is just big enough so she can turn around and stand up. I don't plan on locking her up 24/7 but I have heard if I do it right in the future she will want to go in there because she likes it and feels safe. I want her to feel safe.

I personally don't crate my dog, but I've heard that it should only big just big enough for the dog to lie down comfortably and move around a little. You don't want it too big or the dog will learn to pee at one end and sleep at the opposite end. It you have it smaller the dog will try its best not to pee inside it because it doesn't want to sleep in it.

We have a Spitz cross (we call her a Spitza :laugh:) which I thought had German Spitz in her so I looked them up and found that their name translates to Mistbella (not sure about the spelling) which means "dung hill barker". Our girl loves being on her dung hill.......she is the worlds best barker! :rofl:

I'm going to throw in a bunch of stuff here. With our last group of dogs, we have allowed them to sleep with us! We have never ever slept with dogs before! However, I was keen to get the toilet training going so what I did was put a leash on the pup and the minute he stirred, Id be up - no matter the time ( and I work full-time).

All the dogs are settled and what's more they can sleep anywhere. They are content to sleep with my daughter or with my son. They can sleep in my bed or in the lounge when the kids have a sleep over. They are also content to sleep in the laundry ( mind you I put two of them in there so they can snuggle).

One of them slept with us initially but was moved him to his pen because he was displaying some dominance over a bone ( that's been taking care of but we didnt want to put him into a position of power by allowing him to sleep in our bed, as well). This dog never screams - just happily settles into his little bed in the pen.

This took about three months to sort out. The dogs remain dry during the night and Im happy that they will be able to come away on holidays with us and hopefully have no issues.

Theyre far from perfect dogs but they are young and this method has worked for us. I was the same with all of my children. They slept anywhere that was convenient just so that I could keep an eye on them . I was more paranoid bout cot death than I was about not getting them into a rigid routine.

Hi again, OK so she ended up sleeping in my daughters bed. I guess we will try again. The only reason for the bathroom is because until she is trained and wont make mess on the carpet. Once we have trained her she might find herself in the bedroom all the time. Bring on tonight

Suggest you look into crate training your puppy fast. A dog sees a crate as a den. If the den is a small one (initially) with just enough room to sleep..then puppy is not likely to mess the bed. You will need to be vigilant and offer the puppy exercise and many opportunitys to go to the toilet in a spot you designate, and when she piddles use a trigger word like Toiley, Piddle, shake a leg etc etc.

Rather than in the bed of your daughter..she should be perhaps in the crate beside the bed to sleep. You are risking behaviourable problems putting a dog in bed with you, or in an elevated position..as you are telling the dog it is higher or at least equal to you in the pack.

I know some people don't care, humanise their dog and some get away with it with very good natured dogs...but a lot of dogs lose respect for the owners and become difficult to train and handle....then they get branded as being naughty or stupid.

A dog may be invited up by you the pack leader... for visits..but they should not be encouraged to expect it as their right.

Sounds like you are doing your best..animals are always a learning curve, as are each and every individual.... goodluck..I wish you much joy with your new pup.