Bones For A Puppy

chicken wings, turkey wings,beef brisket bones, roo tails.......he is almost too big for chicken necks ...does he chew them thoroughly?

Our latest, Widget,(koolie) grew out chick. necks at around 8 weeeks! now she gets large wings, half chicken frames , roo tails and beef bones at round 12 weeks:)

the larger chicken necks he takes maybe 5 minutes to chew through it... but I gave him a smaller one yesterday and he gulped it down in less than a minute ;)

I have been giving my 5 month old giant breed lamb shanks they are nice and meaty and take some time to chew

Id go with the others suggestions on bones. I used to feed Delta necks, frames, wings, drumsticks, lamb flaps, lamb offcuts. Basically anything that my older dog would eat, I just expected it to take her longer to get through them at that age. Doesnt mean they cant eat them though. My other suggestion is to freeze them first. Not only will it stop him from being able to swallow them until he has chewed them properly (teaching him safe eating habits) but they will also numb his gums which will help with teething pain.

I think what DC said is a great idea, I freeze a couple of my boy's chicken necks in a kong iceblock, so it takes him a while to get through them.

At woolies/safeway you can often buy trays of lamb off cuts - which are usually lamb flaps, and they are usually pretty good sizes - otherwise ask your butcher nicely for some lamb flaps cut in half. I got two HUUUUGE bags of bones today for $2 - I guess that is why they are all so quiet right now.... ;)

My Pepper gets a quarter of a chicken frame for breakfast or a whole chicken wing. I find the frames are good because she has to chew through the bones. She also inhales chicken necks, so I save them for dinner when I can chop them up and mix in with the rest of the food.

Sometimes I give her a red meat bone for brekky (beef soup bones from Woolies or lambs necks), but she tends to only eat the meat, and not bother about the bones at all. :thumbsup: I'd like to try the lamb flaps, but are they really fatty?

Thank you for the suggestions everyone!

We found a lovely butcher at a shopping center nearby who has a great selection (bags of chicken frames, brisket bones, chicken necks, marrow bones, etc). We have bought a bag of brisket bones for him and will try more stuff in the future.

Just another quick question, should I give them to him frozen? or let it 'defrost' a little? don't want the cold to give him sensitive teeth :rofl: :rolleyes:

Pepper gets her bones defrosted. I hate to do this, but I defrost them in the sink overnight. She won't eat them frozen, or defrosted in the fridge, too cold for her. PRINCESS!! :rofl: Her stomach seems fine though, but needless to say, I have to give the sink a good scrub every morning! :rolleyes:

Mine get all their food frozen coz I never remember to get it out of the freezer in time :rofl: They have never had a problem with their dinner being cold, they just munch through as per usual. Even the cat is getting used to my laziness and will accept cold food now instead of room temp, wont be long before she just accepts it frozen too lol.

• 3 weeks later...
Another that I didn't see mentioned lamb neck bones! :rofl:

With lamb necks, do your dog's actually eat the bones? I gave my pup half a lamb neck last week and she managed to eat most of the bones except for one small part! I was surprised, because it looked pretty hard and I didn't think she'd get through it so quickly!