Food Allergies

I have a 2yr old border collie with repeated skin problems. His skin goes red and rash-like only in patches. I have been to 3 vets, all of which have given him different creams and tablets. It doesnt seem to come in certain weathers, just randomly. It seems to bother him and he licks it, so i am always using his elizabethan collar.

The vet I am taking Chad too is one that I am happy with, he seems to love animals, not just be a vet for the money. Except, after Chad's annual injections, I asked about the skin condition, and all he could suggest is to variate Chad's diet until I pin point the cause.

I already cant feed him kangaroo meat, as he vomits it back up. It cannot be his shampoo either, as that does not seem to cause any side effects.

I feed Chad a range of fresh chicken, marrow bones, beneful nibbles (im buying eukanaba next), my dog and natures gift canned food. He is a very picky eater. He absolutely loves spaghetti and rissotto!

I am happy to continue cooking him rissotto, I just need a suggestion of what ingredients / vitamins to include.

Thanks.

PS. Chad wont eat carrots. ;)

GRAINS & CEREALS can cause skin & ear problems. Take a look at the products you are using & see what they contain, most processed foods have various grains & cereals, like pasta, rice, wheat, plus colours & preservatives which also will do it!!

I guess that rules out spaghetti! Although, in the health food shops, you can buy vegetable pasta. What about brown rice for rissotto?

Dogs are carnivores, so these starchy foods are not what they are designed to eat. If he eats chicken, why not give him raw chicken carcasses/wings/necks etc........

If you are serious about seeing if it is a food allergy you have to do a proper food trial. This means feeding him food containing a novel protein, one he has never had before, for a minimum of 6 weeks (and no other food or treats). You can do a homemade diet for this (but it may be difficult) or you can use a commercial food that contains a novel protein. Some which you may want to consider are those containing fish if he has not had fish before, but check the ingredients carefully to ensure that it does not contain chicken fat. Or there is Hills Z/D which is specifically for food allergies, has had the protein broken up (or something similar) so the dog can't recognise the source and can't be allergic to it. This is what I had to do as Diesel had already had fish as part of his diet.

Diesel ended up not having a food allergy.

If you are serious about seeing if it is a food allergy you have to do a proper food trial. This means feeding him food containing a novel protein, one he has never had before, for a minimum of 6 weeks (and no other food or treats). You can do a homemade diet for this (but it may be difficult) or you can use a commercial food that contains a novel protein. Some which you may want to consider are those containing fish if he has not had fish before, but check the ingredients carefully to ensure that it does not contain chicken fat. Or there is Hills Z/D which is specifically for food allergies, has had the protein broken up (or something similar) so the dog can't recognise the source and can't be allergic to it. This is what I had to do as Diesel had already had fish as part of his diet.

Diesel ended up not having a food allergy.

Yes, the protein in the Z/D is hydrolised so dogs retain the protein better. It's recommended for protein losing kidney diseases rather than the kidney (K/D) kibble.

I agree with Kavik that if you really want to see what's wrong, you need to do a proper food trial. I did one of these last year and my dog did so well on the substitute food that he's still on it. The only protein source that he hadn't had was kangaroo and turkey. I can't stand roo at the best of times so he went on steamed mince turkey, which he loves. He's also on Eukanuka FP Response. As treats he has Eagle Pack Holistic Anchovy and Salmon and on Ziwipeak Venison and Greenlipped Mussel. I am speaking to the vet on Saturday and am going to suggest he goes off the Eukanuba and moves to the Eagle Pack for his main food. I also give him canned tuna and canned sardines, both in springwater if I haven't any turkey for him.

I agree with Kavik. ;)

Something to be aware of is sometimes dogs are allergic to cooked meats but not raw meats. So if you have fed your dog cooked beef, for example, and he was allergic, then you could try raw beef with different results. Something to keep in mind.

. Or there is Hills Z/D which is specifically for food allergies, has had the protein broken up (or something similar) so the dog can't recognise the source and can't be allergic to it. This is what I had to do as Diesel had already had fish as part of his diet.

You were spot on in desbribing how to go about the elimination diet. However my dog was also allergic to the Hill Z/D - which was a bugger.

A food elimiation diet is a long slow process - but at least I know what what base foods are OK and which ones are off the list.

There have been lots of discussion on food allergies - perhaps do a search and some reading. Good luck.

Hi. My girl is on an elimination diet at the moment. After months of intermittent vomiting and diarrhea, and lots of itching and lumps in her ears, and then a blood test the vet suggested she may be allergic/intolerant to animal proteins. She has been on the RC Exclusive Protein Dry food for two weeks today. She hasnt vomited, her itching is decreasing, and she has solid poos! Before they would start out solid, but end very soft if not runny, but it is so nice to watch my dog have a solid poo! :laugh: (Yeh, I know its a charming subject!).

She has to be on this food exclusively for 4-6 weeks, then I am to gradually introduce one animal protein at a time. Hopefully there will be on meat that she isnt reactive to as I dont want her to be on dry food (vegetarian dry food at that! Poor dog needs meat!) for the rest of her life.

The blood test Zola had initially was to check her red blood cells. These were elevated - which indicated either parasites or protein allergy (I'm sure quite a few other things as well, but with her symptoms and the results I can only assume my vet knows what she is talking about!). So she was wormed, treated for giardia and retested. Still not normal. Still vomiting and not nice poos.

It will be interesting to see what eventuates with her diet and digestive system and her itching.

All I can suggest to others is to try an elimination diet, but you have to be extremely strict - NO snacks etc., or theres no point. I am giving my girl whole carrots to chew on when the kelpie gets a bonio or other treat. Luckily she loves them and eats every little bit!

CM, lets know how you go, and I will try and update you with how Zola is going. Its so heartbreaking to see you dog itchy, with stomach upsets and other probs.

RG

All I can suggest to others is to try an elimination diet, but you have to be extremely strict - NO snacks etc., or theres no point. I am giving my girl whole carrots to chew on when the kelpie gets a bonio or other treat. Luckily she loves them and eats every little bit!

Isn't it great that you can give a dog a vegetable and it thinks it's the best treat ever? :rofl:

I have to beat her to the feed shed, as she will get her head into the horse carrots and wont want to get out! :cheer:

When I'm making up the horse feeds she has a carrot to keep her occupied, other wise she ends up with pellets and chaff all over her head! She is a complete nutter when it comes to carrots, she loves cauliflower and broccoli too. Too weird! :rofl:

Back to the Topic!

How useful is the Intra-Dermal Skin Testing? And is that what is carried out before desensitization injections are given? I have heard from a few different sources that they can be fairly vague (the tests that is), and the desensitization jabs aren't always successful? Anyone had any joy with them?

What I'd also like to know is How/Why on earth does a dog become allergic/sensitive to animal proteins? It seems to becoming more and more common. :):cheer:

RG