Flash Has Bladder Cancer

Flashsmum

Just wanted to know of anyone's experience with bladder cancer. Flash (my gorgeous great dane girl) had a urine sample tested on Tuesday, vet told us to take her in on Wednesday morning with a full bladder for ultra sounds and x-ray, and turned out she had bladder cancer. She was operated on on Wednesday, and came home yesterday. :thumbsup:

The vet said he got all the cancer, but it usually doesn't get cured, and will probably come back. She will be put on a particular anti-inflammatory drug that works only on bladder cancer cells, suppressing them, and apparently that will help her longevity. I don't even know the name of the drug yet, 'cos I was in shock and trying to deal with the fact that my baby is sick. We're seeing the vet next week again, for removal of stitches, drug supplies and questions we come up with.

Any info and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jaana

Edited by Flashsmum

I would guess that the drug your vet is referring to would be piroxicam (Feldene), which is often used for transitional cell carcinoma in the bladder. It's an NSAID and is often administered with another drug, misoprostal (Cytotec) to help protect the gut against side effects.

Thanks Rappie. I'm pretty sure that's what the vet called the drug. I was in such a daze at the time, it didn't really sink in. Now I can have look for info on it.

And thanks, olly, as well. We hope that with treatment it will take a long time to come back, if ever. I was absolutely devastated on Wednesday, but now feel that we will do all we can to keep her well, and keep our fingers crossed!

Omwards and upwards!!

Glad to hear that Flash has had a good result from the surgery...that is the first hurdle and you have made it.

I am a great beleiver in holistic support for cancer treatment ( along with the chemo etc if that is the route you go). I have used the same practice that treats Ollie .

There are also some excellent yahoo groups for ppl whose dogs have cancer..... heaps of experience and support there.

Canine cancer: [email protected]

Live and love each day to the full

H

Sending healing wishes to Flash. I hope she recovers from the surgery quickly, and lives on well beyond her prognosis.

I've joined the Canine Cancer group that dogbesotted mentions above. There is *loads* of information there. I haven't had time to dig through it all just yet myself :D But the point is that you're not alone.

Yes, Felix, I have used flea drops on her, but not all the time. When we bought our house when lived in Charleville, the yard was infested with the buggers! Now mainly use them for summer time to prevent ticks, since I live in a tick area.

She's eatnen well tonight, and seems fine. It's scary that it could come back any time, and we wouldn't notice anything. We will be getting her checked every month from now on, hoping it won't come back, even though it probably will at some stage.

Thanks for your wishes and I'll be looking at any cancer sites and groups for more info.

The only sympton we saw was blood in her urine. She had this 3 months ago, was treated for a bladder infection, and it came back. When we had her urine sample checked this time, the vet said there ws another infection, but there must be a reason as to why she got another so soon, hence the tests and x-rays.

The only other thing, in hindsight, was that she had a go at our greyhound Harry on Monday. They are normally the best of friends. The vet said this could have been because she wasn't feeling well, but that's a guess. Maybe she was out of sorts, but we certainly didn't think anything of it. We had a foster dog here for a while, and since he has gone, she's been a bit more bossy of Harry, but nothing serious, and we thought that they were just reaffirming their pack order. In hindsight, though, she could have been feeling off. She certainly seemed fine, played and ate normally, as sooky as ever. :laugh:

Thank you to everyone. All the good karma is keeping Flash well.

Flash is doing very well. You wouldn't know that she had anything wrong with her! She's eating well, and even wants to play. I guess that, for now, since the cancer was removed, the only thing bothering her is her operation scar. She's been pretty good about not licking it too much.

We're just on tenterhooks hoping it doesn't come back any time. She gets her stitches out next Monday, and then will be on the drugs that the vet said should suppress the cancer cells, so we just have toi wait now, and keep getting her checked.

I can't believe how well and happy she is. She is loving all the cuddles she's getting. We had visitors on the weekend, and she was lapping up all the attention and sympathy. Cheeky girl!

I just saw this, I am so sorry for you and Flash...

But it is good news that they removed it all.

I have had great success with both conventional and holistic therapy for Ollies cancer (Grade 2 Mast Cell, with no clear margins). He had chemo as well as herbs, vitamins and some other support drugs and he is now 2 years post diagnosis. Our vet uses Ollies case to talk to others whos animals are diagnosed now, to give them some hope...

Good luck with it

Jodie