Horrible Trip To Vets

chloebear

Holly was due for her next lot of vaccinations, so booked appointment and put her into ute, made sure she was safe and sound. She wet herself on the way, then when I was getting her out of ute, pee'd on me. I also had my toddler with me, so I was hoping to walk Holly on the leash and use my other hand to hold my toddler as vet is on a highway. No such luck, Holly planted her butt and wouldn't move no matter what I did, so the vet came out to give me a hand, he had to carry her in she currently weighs approx 15kg. She then pee'd on him and the table. Once she received her needles, time to leave he gave me a hand to carry her out, she wouldn't walk. Whilst I was putting my toddler in car, she crawled under my car and wouldn't come out. I have to take her back to vet next week for desexing........I am so not looking forward to this.

Poor thing!

Maybe try making the trip a good experience and the same for the trip to the vet.

My old lab was vet petrified so we used to walk there and I would get the nurse to feed him his treat.....first just in the car park, then near the door, then just in the door.....you get the idea. The treat was super high value that he never got anywhere else.....soon he just looooooved the vet.

My girls love going to the vet!

Poppy who is four, loved going to the vet until she was about 3 when she got a painful injection and it hurt her and now she's scared of the vet. She used to love getting the liver treats so wasnt scared (she's a guts) but doesnt get them so much anymore...?

Daisy loves the attention and doesnt care what happens to her as long as she gets pats and attention.

Sophie use to love going to the Vet until she had her crutiate ligament operation. The last time I took her she pee'd and spewed and I felt so sorry for her :laugh: . Banjo seems to like going.

I would be spending some serious time with your dog getting it used to the car. The poor thing is petrified. Go and get her some rescue remedy and spend some time getting her used to the car. I wouldn't put her on the back of a ute if you can put her in the car instead. Treat her for going near the car while it is just sitting there turned off until she is no longer nervous about that. Then treat her for sitting in the car while it is turned off until she is no longer nervous about that. Then do the same with the car started but not going anywhere until you can gradually build up to a short drive.

My little one loves the vet. His tail wags and he's very happy, even while he gets needles and a thermometer up his bum! (not sure I'd be so obliging).

But my previous dog, was a mess at the vets, the first one we took her too was around the corner from our house and when we walked past she would practically cross the street to get around it. And when inside she was just a shaking slobbering mess. But we eventually changed vets and at the second one she was much calmer and not nearly as anxious....might have been the treats and the extra pats she received!

My pup thinks the vet is a playground :) We went to puppy pre-school there deliberately. He bolts throught he door tail wagging, looking for his playmates. The first thing I did every week of puppy pre-school was made him sit on the scales so he runs over there first too...the other people in the waiting room are always highly amused :rofl: He struts around like he owns the place!

Maybe try taking the dog for regular visits with lots of yummy treats being handed out by the staff and vet - with nothing bad happening to her.

I often used to take my GSD to the vet for weigh-ins and just so he got to know the staff etc. I didn't want to take him once a year for a jab - he might end up associating it with pain. My boy now gets excited when he is told he is going to the vet - he knows the girls have treats for him and he just loves them.

Edited by Tilly

I would be spending some serious time with your dog getting it used to the car. The poor thing is petrified. Go and get her some rescue remedy and spend some time getting her used to the car. I wouldn't put her on the back of a ute if you can put her in the car instead. Treat her for going near the car while it is just sitting there turned off until she is no longer nervous about that. Then treat her for sitting in the car while it is turned off until she is no longer nervous about that. Then do the same with the car started but not going anywhere until you can gradually build up to a short drive.

I agree, my recent foster was anxious in the car, i put our little terrier in with her, she was much more relaxed.

I think dogs really pick up on our mood too. If you are stressed and anxious, they go with that vibe.

Her weeing is a symptom of fear, believe me its very common behaviour, esspecially for vets.

Can anyone mind your little one next time you go, to ease the pressure?(i know how hard it can be with bub and a dog!)

Mostly i would really focus on being positive about the vet experience, give off a soild calm vibe, and allow plenty of time so you have an easy relaxed drive and arrival. I had to drive to Sydney airport a while ago to put a foster baby on a flight to Tassy. Even though i felt anxious for him, i remained really calm and relaxed the entire time, so he knew everything was fine. He was calm and content the entire flight.

Good luck :rofl:

If you're not looking forward to the next vet visit, imagine how your puppy feels!

It sounds like she was petrified, poor mite. Overstressing puppies can cause beahviour issues.

There is heaps and heaps of info here and other places on the net about handling puppies, fear periods etc.

Im thinking her journey on the back of the ute has alot to do with her fear.

I agree. I hate seeing dogs on the back of utes and wouldn't allow one of mine to be transported this way. Can you not carry her in the car? She's only a puppy and must have been so frightened.

I would have to agree as you mentioned she had already wet herself on the way there, this is probably where her fear is associated not nessecarily at the vets.

Some fantastic advice has been given by others so I won't repeat.

My guys love going to the vets but they got rewarded with lots of treats from the moment they hopped out of the car until they got back in the car. We also go for lots of regular weigh in's, about once a fortnight with my young ones. They know the drill now and even my older boy hasn't forgotten as soon as he walks through the door he plonks himself on the scales and waits for his treat!!!!

Make it a happy social occassion, from memory I think you said she is a large breed mix so she is going to get a lot bigger and you won't be able to drag a 35kg+ dog accross a main road.

Good Luck with her desexing visit next week. Obviously you won't be able to feed her treats before her surgery so use a favourite toy or ball instead.

Remember don't you start stressing in anticipation to how she will go next time as she will pick up on your vibes.

I have not read through all the replies but right from when I first got Angus I made the vets a fun place. I am lucky that they are close to home so I would just drop in with Angus (usually to weigh him) or to say hi and he would get fussed over and given heaps of treats. We also did puppy pre-school there.

He fair on pulls me through the door now - goes up to the counter, puts his paws up, gets his treat and then sits and waits!

Bruno loves the vets. All the girls there ooh and aah over him, fawn over him, pat him heaps and let him run amok around the reception area.

Once he even sat on the receptionists chair!

He just has never had a problem going there. The vet there is very good, so I think that has something to do with it.

I agree that the problem seems to be with being forced to travel on the back of a ute...many dogs are literally terrified of being transported like this. They don't feel physically secure which creates anxiety, which builds with every trip they have to endure.

Firstly, I would help your pup adjust to travel by road. This won't be a quick or easy process. But it's important that you recognise how stressed she is by car travel. If it's at all possible, stop taking her on the back of the ute and put her in the passenger cab. Put a harness on her and tether her in. Or put her in an airline approved crate. This gives her a feeling of security and will reduce her stress levels.

Secondly, avoid travelling with your toddler as you cannot focus on the pup's wellbeing and training if you have a child in the vehicle too.

Thirdly, make the vet a fun and happy experience for your pup. Don't have anything done in the next few visits, just go every day, ensure she is given treats and perhaps a game of fetch, and leave before she shows signs of stress.

You can help your pup overcome this terrible fear. But you must work with her and recognise what the problems are for her... the vet is but a small part of her anxiety - it's the vehicle that's causing the real distress here. :coffee:

Another suggestion to help with vet visits...

Take some treats with you, or ask for some from the vets, and give them to puppy as they are having things done to them. I use them to distract my pup whilst we empty his anal glands, give needles etc and he doesn't even feel them anymore, in fact I think injections have actually become fun!!! I also use a work, like 'Check' for when he's having an examination, so he knows to stand still, and gets rewarded for everything good he does.