Molly Ate Cooked Chicken Bones, Help, What Do I Do ?

littlelabrador

Molly took cooked chicken bones out of the garbage bin tonight. Hubby's fault, he had the lid off and forgot, Molly could obviously smell it. Anyway, he found her with some bones in her bed, having a good old chew on them. We took away every scrap we could find, but im sure she must have swallowed some. I know cooked bones can splinter and be really bad for dogs. Now since i have no idea what she has or hasnt injested, what do i do ? Do i just watch her and what signs would i be looking out for that something is wrong ?? thanks.

Too late now :shrug:. My older dog has done something similar and was fine.

I'd look for changes in behaviour (e.g. quieter), unsettled (pain?), bloated-looking stomach, vomiting (may vomit it up if was fatty anyway).

I'm not a vet, so wait for some qualified advice, too.

Fingers crossed it will all be OK.

Doesnt help that this is her normal sleeping time now either ! She will crash out now for an hour or so, then go out for a wee before bed, then we go to bed, so i wont really know whats going on overnight. ( God, its just like when a child hits their head just before bedtime and you're supposed to observe them for drowsiness !). Well i guess i will just watch and wait and call the vet in the morning then. I doubt she got a lot, pretty sure it was the little wing bones, and she was really chomping on them, growled when we tried to take them away so had to spray her with water to get her to move away from them. Hard to know with 'bloated tummy' as she was fed only 10-15 mins before this happened, so belly always looks big after eating anyway. thanks. :shrug: will watch her.

my dogs have eaten cooked bones...u find them everywhere...even on the oval where we walk...kids must get takeaway and throw the scraps...hopeless i know

so far nothing has happened

my ole girl has had many a go at a cooked bone...a regular thief she was ( and still would be no doubt if she could get at the bin) but weve not had a problem

did have a dachsie..my first ever dog..and im pretty sure mum mustve given him a cooked bone ( cant remember) might have been raw but i somehow doubt back in those days of dark ignorance

i remember him going to the vet pronto..he was in a lot of pain...just literally sitting hunched over and moaning...no op tho...so long ago i dont remember what the vet did...

hopefully nothing will come of it...i know you will keep an eye on her ( and yes it is like having a child hit his head just b4 bedtime ..sigh lol sigh...what they do to us!!!)///but dont stress too much ..it could well pass

don't panic. Give her something like psyllium /metamucil..which turns to a nice buffering Gel :cool: about a half teaspoon full of husks in her food

If she chewed them up, there shouldn't be a problem..and I don't think she will bloat from a couple of chicken wings ...

just watch her for the next day or so... you'll soon notice any difference.

Friends have dogs who live on every cooked bone known to man :shrug: They are disgustingly healthy and now around 9/10 yrs old!

I'm sure many dogs have eaten cooked chicken bones in the past, in fact I'm sure there are plenty of uneducated, irresponsible dog owners out there that probably give their dogs cooked chicken bones intentionally!

Chances are it'll just pass right through and she won't even notice she ate them.

Breathe deeply.

Don't panic. Not every dog who eats cooked bones has an issue with them.

Just watch for signs of discomfort in her. Keep an eye on her for the next 24 hours and try to give her a soft meal at the usual time you'd feed her next.

Filling her up with bulky food won't assist if she develops a blockage. Just watch her.

thanks everyone. She seems okay so far, but here it is 5.30am ! I woke up at 3am because i could hear her whining and thought 'oh *&*^, but no, she seems fine, bouncing round the kitchen and just wanted some attention i think. It would only have been about 1/3 of a wing bone, ie one part of it, at the very very most, that she could have eaten, and even then, i think just bits of it crunched up. I will call the vet this morning to be sure though. I think as she had had her dinner, which was kibble and chicken meat, so soon beforehand, its probably been churned up with that and hopefully will just come through the other end with no damage. thanks.

Molly is fine. After my last post i did find a big vomit in her bed, so she had done that overnight and there were obvious bits of bone in it. Talked to the vet and they said just watch her. Its been a day and a half and she seems completely normal, so i think she will be fine. thanks.