Do You Add Any Supplements To Their Dry?

Norskgra

I feed all of my dogs, apart from Brock, Nutro. Brock is fed Ziwipeak. Both of these are Super Premium. They are also fed sardines and an egg once a week with the occasional yoghurt and meaty bones. The pups also get vegs. The only thing I add is fish oil capsules. Brock also gets Thrive D to help his digestion problems.

Reading some of the posts on here, some people seem to add lots of supplements. Wouldn't they be overdoing it if they are feeding their dogs a good dry?

Edited by Norskgra

I feel similarly about this. I feed Eagle Pack, with the occasional egg, blob of yoghurt and sardines as well as raw meat/bones and vegies.

As far as I'm concerned your average dog shouldn't need supplements. I can understand it for those with dogs with joint problems but otherwise I think it's overkill..

It really does depend on what exactly the supplement is for...........I use supplements for varying reasons, but mind you I dont feed commercial dog food at all.........

I use Ester C , Vit E, Tumeric, Fish oil, Salmon oil, Folic acid, Zinc, Evening Primrose, flax seed oil, Kelp, apple cider vinegar, Coenzyme Q10, garlic, brewers yeast, Vit C,cod liver oil,cranberry tablets, calcium, phosphorous, I have homeopathic treatments on hand too, and so it goes on, I am bound to have forgotten something LOL

Each supplement is for something specific at the time, I rarely go to a Vet as most things can be treated at home. Cranberry for a kidney infection, zinc, EPO & Fish oil for a grass allergy, Coenzyme Q10 for a heart condition at the time....growing pups & juveniles get Ester C to prevent dysplasia etc etc etc..........

Mine get nothing on a daily basis, as every vit & mineral is in bone marrow of a raw bone, or an egg yolk etc......

I would almost consider it dangerous to supplement regularly any dog on a commercial diet, as they all claim to have a balanced meal in every scoop already, and dogs arent meant to eat a balanced meal every day as it is let alone supplementing every day on top........

JMO

I sometimes wonder about this mystery "average" dog. I've never had to feed one of those. :D

I will feed dogs differently depending on whether they are puppies, seniors, highly active, have food allergies etc. I will certainly supplement giant breed puppies differently to small breed puppies etc. etc.

A good brand of kibble is a good starting point for a diet (excluding those with corn allergies etc.) but I supplement the kibble to the extent that I suppose I am only feeding 70% kibble.

I have a housefull of seniors at the moment - they all have organic Apple Cider Vinegar added to their meat/veg/kibble meal, every third day the meat/veg part of their main meal is sardines in soya oil. I count their breakfast (a bone every other day, the alternate day some other meat product chew - bully stick etc.) as supplement.

Guest LoveMyCuddledog

Triton has a bit of a problem with dandruff, he has done since residing at the RSPCA. Initially I would give him dry biscuits, wet food & sardines maybe 1-2 times a week. I think the biscuits made his poos as hard as rock though and so I started him on cat biscuits (fortunately Eddy his feline buddy doesn't seem to mind) after which his poo took on a normal consistancy. I think he may still be getting dandruff although he doesn't seem to be itchy & he does roll a lot so it could be sand. Not sure?

Triton has a bit of a problem with dandruff, he has done since residing at the RSPCA. Initially I would give him dry biscuits, wet food & sardines maybe 1-2 times a week. I think the biscuits made his poos as hard as rock though and so I started him on cat biscuits (fortunately Eddy his feline buddy doesn't seem to mind) after which his poo took on a normal consistancy. I think he may still be getting dandruff although he doesn't seem to be itchy & he does roll a lot so it could be sand. Not sure?

It is actually not a good idea to feed cat food to a dog, they are nothing alike in their requirements. You can give it as a treat, but not as a diet. If he gets constipated then the diet doesnt suit him. His dandruff sounds like a reaction to diet, preservatives, colours, cereals???????????

Dogs dont eat grains & cereals in the wild in general, they do scavenge & eat most things but it is few & far between they are carnivores plain & simple, no matter how much we humanise them they are canines & are carnivores ...........usually skin is the sign of diet problems. I just read in a previous post of soya oil being used, which is also not a good idea for dogs.......I have an article somewhere about Soy products and dogs, cant find it right now though, but not good, usually causes allergies actually :D

...........usually skin is the sign of diet problems. I just read in a previous post of soya oil being used, which is also not a good idea for dogs.......I have an article somewhere about Soy products and dogs, cant find it right now though, but not good, usually causes allergies actually :rofl:

I couldn't agree more that skin problems are often the sign of diet deficiencies or allergies :D

Most studies re soy products in dogs diet are based on dogs being fed vegetarian/vegan diets where the main or only protein is soy-derived. Soy protein has a different amino acid content/balance etc. than animal sourced protein. A large percentage (amounts vary betwwen studies) of these dogs on soy protein had skin problems. There are differing opinions whether the skin problems were allergy-related or diet deficiency related. Possibly both in some cases.

I would never, ever advocate large amounts of soy products in any dog's diet. Mine get about a teaspoonful (clinging to the sardines) every third day. My breed are prone to corn allergies, and when switching to a corn-free kibble I needed to find an alternate source for linoleic acid (an Omega 3 EFA). Soya oil is a great source for this. I also like that they are getting part of their omega 3 boost together with their omega 6 boost (the sardines). I like it so much that I have continued to do this even though I don't have any corn allergy sufferers at the moment.

LovemyCuddledog (don't we all :rofl: ) please don't use cat kibble as a major part of Triton's diet. Cats have very different nutritional needs to dogs and his skin problem is very probably diet related. He probably has food allergies and you will need to find out what they are. I would recommend working with a vet or nutritionist to pinpoint the food(s) he is allergic to. (sorry bad grammar :laugh:)

I only give supplements to Daire.

He gets a vitc, omega 3, zinc and kelp tablets each day.

Kelp helps his pigment

Vit c and omega 3 for his joints

and Zinc for his skin.

He is on Eagle Pack was Nutro. Will prob go back to Nutro when he is older.

He gets yoghurt, egg, sardines mince etc varied in his diet.

I do the supplements for his joints as he has had an injury, the kelp to darken his pigment as he has a pink bit on his nose.

THe other 2 get zinc if they have a reaction to somethingin the garden

I only give supplements to Daire.

He gets a vitc, omega 3, zinc and kelp tablets each day.

Kelp helps his pigment

Vit c and omega 3 for his joints

and Zinc for his skin.

He is on Eagle Pack was Nutro. Will prob go back to Nutro when he is older.

He gets yoghurt, egg, sardines mince etc varied in his diet.

I do the supplements for his joints as he has had an injury, the kelp to darken his pigment as he has a pink bit on his nose.

THe other 2 get zinc if they have a reaction to somethingin the garden

If you use Vit C for joints it has to be ESTER C.........which is completely different to plain old Vit C which does nothing .........ESTER C is far more expensive, but it works!

We usually feed dry, interspersed with meals containing either raw mince or fish, cooked oats, apple cider vinegar, garlic and livamol. We try to mix it up as often as possible so they don't get too used to being supplemented. I think there comes a time when we can build up either dependency or intolerance by over-supplementing.

My dogs wont eat the super premium foods. They used to like RC but wont touch it. And they wont eat Ziwipeak either now.

The only dry they will eat is the Pedigree Pal meatybites for little dogs. They all love it.

I naturally ad the omega oils to their dinner, and I use coat improver. They are all healthy and their coats are wonderful.. So I wont be changing what im doing.

My dogs wont eat the super premium foods. They used to like RC but wont touch it. And they wont eat Ziwipeak either now.

The only dry they will eat is the Pedigree Pal meatybites for little dogs. They all love it.

I naturally ad the omega oils to their dinner, and I use coat improver. They are all healthy and their coats are wonderful.. So I wont be changing what im doing.

What coat improver do you use?