Poodle Problems

ozsomerset

hi... ok here is the set up. my mother has built a unit on top of my brothers house. my brother has 2 elderly dogs. my mother has recently got a toy poodle. while she acknowledges she didn't do a good job with the toilet training it was sort of working. now when my brother is out the poodle goes downstairs and pees on his bed or the guest bed. apart from having the poodle outside the whole time can anyone give ideas on how to stop this behavior? thanks for any help

!st thing is to stop the poodle going down into the other parts of the house. Just tell mother to shut the doors. 2nd thing is to start toilet training over again. How old is the puppy ? Little dogs can take a bit longer to train for a start they cant hold it for as long. Occasional accidents will happen for the 1st few months. Being upstairs maybe she is not letting puppy out as much as needed. Paper training can be an option. The puppy needs to be put in the laundry or bathroom when she is out & left with some newspaper to go on. Crate training not a good option here if she has sort of trained the puppy. A toy poodle would be very miserable as a an outside dog. They need company & are totally unsuited to that life. Give her some house training tips & don't expect perfection initially.

Benji lives in high house...with 14 stairs at the back...and yes i did count them...didnt want them to be 13 lol.

he's trained now..but omg was hard..we had to climb those stairs many times to get him to pee outside. Now he sits at door when he wants out..he climbs the stairs himself on his own now LOL

thanks for the all suggestions. they do close the bedroom doors but the older dogs need access to their room. we have tried to keep the dog upstairs but mum is "forgetful" we will persevere with the training but it also seems to be a little dominance play by the dog, he is very strong willed.

Poodles are intelligent dogs and will train you if not trained themselves. They really need good leadership and can be bossy little beasts without it.

Peeing on beds is totally unacceptable, but punishing the dog won't work.

Buy your Mum a good book on dog training and leadership or she'll have a horrid little poodle stereotype on her hands- yappy and bossy.

Does the upstairs unit have separate access?

If so, I'd get locks on the internal doors and lock them when your brother is out.

Is there any reason for either poodle or his Mum to be downstairs while he's out?

Don't see any reason why a toy poodle can't walk down stairs to toilet. My mini has always toileted outside, going down a flight of stairs.

I'm not sure what makes it necessary for the dogs to access the bedrooms, but I'd rather make it so I could close the doors than have pee on my bed :rofl: