Desexing

Hey guys,

having trouble getting in contact with my vet (live remote), so I thought I'd post a quick one here for an idea.

Was just wondering what a roundabout figure for desexing and fixing umbilicle hernia surgery costs?

I know no-one can say exactly, but what am I looking at? $250? $500? $1000? Anyone had it done? (dog, not you!)

It's a standard procedure, so I'm told.

6 MO male Newfoundland.

Weight: approx 40kg.

PM if you think it's inappropriate over the forum - I have no forum etiquite!

Thanks!

IMO for desexing alone $155-$200 max - anymore and they are ripping you off I say. Usually the cut off is 25kg (cheaper below and more expensive above 25kg - diff around$20-$30,) due to the amount of anaesthetic required. Also pain killers should be included in the cost - not on top! I doubt they would charge you too much more for the hernia?!?!

Edit - sp

Edited by First Time Puppy Owner

For a Newfy male- I think you'd be looking at 200-250, probably closer to 200.. Hernia 30-50 extra.

Some clinics charge for pain killers on top, depending on the Castration cost, some charge more for the Castration to account for the drugs used.

You may also be quoted for Castration that includes a non-steroidal analgesic, but you may be offered an opioid (much stronger) analgesic to be given before surgery. Worth the extra IMO. :rofl:

Mel.

Edited because I thought it was a female.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

Was about $180 for a 25kg male (uncomplicated) in my area.

You can expect to pay more for anaesthetic, based on weight.

My smaller dog (8kg as adult) had a small hernia repaired for free when desexed.

Many places charge more if you have pre-op bloods taken and for IV fluids. Neither are normally necessary in an apparently healthy younger dog.

Many also charge more for pain relief injection etc. If you know a nurse and have a helpful vet, some human medications can be used for pain relief, but they are prescription ones (not panadol etc.) and have to be given according to dog's weight.

Ask your vet how much beforehand.

Also ask if they have an Elizabethan collar for a large Newfie!

Edited by Poodle wrangler

...Poodle Wrangler, what's an Elizabethan collar?

Imagine if you cut the bottom out of a bucket and put it on his head. Similar. Stops dog from licking/ biting out stitches.

Many people also use a cut-out bucket.

I think there's something the vet can also use to deter licking/ biting, but am not sure what it's called or how long it's effective for :laugh:

If you were coming to us it would cost around $220 for desexing and $30 - $50 for the hernia depending on the size.This includes painkillers , a 3 day recheck and stitches out at 10 days.

eta. a minor blood test is usually $45 and fluids are not used in castrates generally.

Edited by sheree_e4

If you were coming to get it done at our surgery, you'd be charged around $150 for the desex, and another $40 or so for the hernia, as another incision would need to be made. This would include ET tube for breathing, and catheter for needles, as well as IV fluids, pain relief and antibiotic injections. If you wanted a E-collar for a dog that size looking between $18-20? No extra charge to take stitches out 10 days later by the vet.

-WithEverythingIAm

Edited by witheverythingiam

I must be in a particularly expensive "Vet" area, I rang 4 or 5 vets in my area and they were all around the $250 mark for males over 25kg (and dissolvable stitches were approximately $30 extra)

I won't tell you what we just paid for a laparotomy! :laugh: although we do seem to have cheaper elizabethan collars .....I think an earlier post said $20-25, I had to buy another (large size 25cm) after the first one was chewed a few days after the laparotomy and it only cost me $5, just as well as we're broke now :o

Edited by Spanner

Hey newnewf,

Are you going to get it done up there or wait till your in a city?

Not sure about the kimberleys but the pilbara was expensive. Cost me from memory around $350 for chev (female sharpei) she was less than 20kg and that was for sterilisation, nail clipping and microchipping. Very expensive in the north.

Nero cost around $270 i think for sterilisation and microchipping (and collar) in perth and he was 23kg