Injured Tail - I Think!

benny123

Has anyone's dog ever injured or bruised their tail by chasing it? Beanie was fine yesterday but we noticed her chasing her tail (which is only a half tail). Today she will not lift her tail or wag her tail, which normally goes at a million miles an hour. We tried to have a look at it and she squealed.

This is her tail as it used to be, today she is holding it down. We're at a loss as to what has happened.

post-13177-1196753876_thumb.jpg

An action shot of the tail (not taken today obviously)

post-13177-1196754599_thumb.jpg

ETA second pic of wagging tail

Edited by benny123

She hasn't had a bath recently has she, or been for a swim? If so, it could be Cold Water Tail http://www.geocities.com/ccrhearts/Tail.html

Yes, she has. In the bath with a shower head thingy (which is really dodgy) and we try to keep the water luke warm, but these taps have a mind of their own and it goes icy cold without warning.

Thanks ISH, I'll read im on that - I'm so worried

I've read the article. My girl is a mixed breed rescue...mum was a Golden Retriever/GSD and dad was a Labrador/Pointer cross - two of the breeds connected with this syndrome.

We bathed her first and towel dried her and tried to get her to go outside in the sun to dry off, but she insisted on waiting in the bathroom (on the tiles) while her brother was bathed - they are inseparable. I hope that's all it is as I can't think of anything else and I'm with then 24/7.

Cold Water Tail may also be known to people as "Tail pull injury", cats get it too, and commonly happens when in water and bending, twisting etc, or otherwise playing games / injury! Pretty common, worthwhile having a vet check thou and making sure it's not broken! anti-inflamm's can reduce the pain. Regardless of the name, very good prognosis! Just a sad pup until it all heals!

Edited by alanglen

Cold Water Tail may also be known to people as "Tail pull injury", cats get it too, and commonly happens when in water and bending, twisting etc, or otherwise playing games / injury! Pretty common, worthwhile having a vet check thou and making sure it's not broken! anti-inflamm's can reduce the pain. Regardless of the name, very good prognosis! Just a sad pup until it all heals!

Thanks Alanglen. The only other thing I can think of is her brother attempting to hump her, for dominance (it's usually her humping him as she seems to be the alpha dog), but he tried last night. I thought if it was a surprise and her tail was in the wrong position - being so stumpy, he may have jarred it. Also, she was chasing that stumpy thing and grabing it, which is something she has never done. She caught it once or twice, too!

I have a few rimadyl (three, I think) would they be OK if given with food until we can see our vet? We live in a quite remote area. May be able to see him on Thursday as he comes to our village.

Edit for typing, again. Damn rheumatoid arthritis.

Edited by benny123

One of our Sheppies has pinched nerves in the end of his tail. Now and then they flare up and irritate him, so he chases it. He doesnt have much hair on the end of his tail, because he gets it so that he is sitting on it. And the hair rubs off.

But it is tender to touch, and he only ever allows me to touch it.

An update.

Beanie watched the goose/geese segment on Better Homes & Gardens tonight and there was a definite lift and wagging. Not totally normal yet but so much better :laugh::o .

One thing for sure, I'm using the mobile dog groomer from this day on. My taps are too dodgy.

My boss's schnauzer had a similar thing recently. It was slightly painful at the base too, as well as just being flat and down. Couple of days later and it was back to normal.

She went swimming and had a bath the day before too. I informed him of 'cold tail' :drink: