Clippiing A 7 Year Old Retreiver

doggywoof

Hi everyone, my first post on this site.

I have a 7 year old golden retreiver that i recently inherited. i am getting her bathed on thursday and wanted to get her fur clipped. the groomer said she does not reccommend clipping the retreiver as the hair will grow back thicker and shed more and it will get worse as she gets older... what do i do? ignore her and get it clipped or not? i want to do whats best for chloe (my retreiver)... im just not sure! any feedback would be great....

ive attached a photo of chloe... and my little man corey...

post-21774-1196762171_thumb.jpg

Can the Goldie people recommend a suitable brush, comb to use?

Some are worse than useless and it's worth getting the right gear.

Are you worried about keeping her cool in summer- can try ice blocks in water bowl, shade, kids clam pool (if she likes water), frozen bone.

Also, get her nice and lean- Goldies normally love their food too much- it will keep her healthy and help prevent arthritis as she starts to get older ..

Firstly I would never clip my boy but he doesnt have a coat that is too think hes in air con all day and he's leaned off. But I have a goldie that gets clipped with a #3 in winter and a #5 in summer nad her coat has never got thicker I have a boy that gets a #7 every summer same thing and I also have a goldie that was clipped elsewhere that now has the worst coat but after 3 years of stripping him out every 6 weeks its comming good again.

I think this is kinda like the idea that some breeders tell their pups new owners with cockers and springers. Telling them not to have the top coat clipped cause it will go curly. What absolute rubbish. They are either curly or they are not. An ex-show dog that had never been clipped was curly as hell when his new owner inhereted him she now clips him in a #10 cocker clip and he hasnt got any curlier and another that had the same show life but had a totally straight coat is beiong clipped with a #10 now and still insnt curly.

I have never come across a dog that gets curly after being clipped unless they were already curly or very wavey.

I think the same applies to breeds like goldies too. And borders, collies, shelties,poms. Their coats will have the potential to go thick and yuck and usually indicated by an extremely coarse undercoat. But thats what ive found.

My advice... have the dog stripped out well and hand scissored trimmed. If you find that the goldie is still really suffering and no amount of stripping is going to help then look at clipping. Just go slowly at it.

Good luck

Hi if you go onto our website

http://www.grcq.org.au/index.asp?ID=15

this will give you some tips on grooming. Making sure you clip the feet especially underneath because if they become to overgrown then it can hurt the dogs feet

Personally I wouldn't clip, but I have known a few friends clip there goldies, especially the older ones when in summer it gets too hot for them. I haven't seen any problems with the coat growing back, but I could be wrong as I've never done this.