Toilet Training

Stewie_the_Frenchie

Hi everyone,

I now have Turtle toileting outside with I think about 2 accidents inside quite a while ago. He knows now that outside is for wees and poos and that we will take him out. He also stays in the laundry with the back door open during the day when we're not there, and I've never found an accident in the laundry (although he doesn't usually poo during the day anyway...just mornings), so I know he's doing it outside then.

My question is:

How do I get him to the stage where he lets us know he needs to go?

I have heard of some dogs ringing a bell? So do you just ring the bell everytime you go out with him for toilet?

Does anyone know? Or has it just been a natural progression for you?

I do remember there being a post about this a while ago, but I can't find it!

Thanks guys.

Edited by newnewf

My back door is nearly always open so usually they can go in and out as they please. If it's closed for any reason, I have one dog who will sit by the back door and look at me, one who will paw the door and one who will bark at the door, I didn't teach them to do these things, they just developed naturally over time. The others are outside during the day and only come in at night and the door is always open during the evening. All but one are crated at night and none of them ever wee or poo inside.

We have to leave our door open slightly so he can come and go as he pleases.

If our door is shut, he won't let us know he needs to go toilet. He will just sit there, even if we are in a different room he seems to think we have telepathic abilitys. He never barks or grizzles, even when the doorbell rings he doesn't bark- just rushes out and waits by the gate.

I have my back door open most of the time as well but if it is shut the dogs will come up to me and make it known they want to go out. It just happened I never really taught them.

I had one dally who asked to go out one night while I was watching TV. I didn't want to miss anything so I ignored her and she eventually gave me a really dirty look and squatted. Not a drop came out but I was up and opening the door as quickly as I could :thumbsup:

I had one dally who asked to go out one night while I was watching TV. I didn't want to miss anything so I ignored her and she eventually gave me a really dirty look and squatted. Not a drop came out but I was up and opening the door as quickly as I could :thumbsup:

That's hilarious...I can just see her giving you a greasy and going "I'm gonna do it...look, I'm squatting, it's gonna happen..." :)

yeah doggy doors are awesome, we used to have one for our papillion (well, a cat door). But as Turtle is a giant breed, it's not all that possible for him unfortunately! I will try leaving the door open...I just worry a bit about snakes getting in that's all (we live in the outback). But then, what snake is going to come in to a giant waiting for it?!

I'll try it tonight and see if he takes himself out...will be interesting...will update tomorrow!

Thanks guys

Edited by newnewf

Tanner just walks and waits by the door, we only know he's there because we realise that he's not in the room with us any more and we go look for him. Our last GSP used to do a little "I need to wee" dance, sort of like a little kid who wiggles when they need to go, well he used to come up to us and do his little wiggle dance (especially cute in the "wee" hours of the morning where I'd awake to find him looking straight at me doing what looked like an irish "river" dance but on four paws instead of two :) )

My pup uses mental telepathy with me. I wake up randomly in the night to see him sitting up in his crate, staring quite intently at me. He's really quiet - its actually quite freaky! It's like he is sitting there willing me as hard as he can to wake up. Don't know how he does it, but it works!

My pup uses mental telepathy with me. I wake up randomly in the night to see him sitting up in his crate, staring quite intently at me. He's really quiet - its actually quite freaky! It's like he is sitting there willing me as hard as he can to wake up. Don't know how he does it, but it works!

Oh my...that is freaky! Very cute though...I just wake up in the wee hours of the morning to Turtle 3 inches from my face letting out an almighty yap! Lovely alarm clock...it works!

Spanner - I would love to have seen that little jig...how georgous!

Edited by newnewf

My dogs stand at the back door and wait. Oscar will go back to the loungeroom if I don't come soon, look at me, then go back to the door. THey have me well-trained :).

Am sure I've read about how to teach them to use a bell- like one of those long, hanging strand of bells, but cannot find it, sorry.

SUCCESS!!!

Left the back door open tonight and waited to see what happened.

He went up the coridoor and checked it out after a couple of hours. Then about an hour later he walked out the back door (with me and OH hiding in the office peering out the window) and he did the deed!

We are so excited. Aahh, one step closer.

What a clever little man... :rolleyes:

yeah doggy doors are awesome, we used to have one for our papillion (well, a cat door). But as Turtle is a giant breed, it's not all that possible for him unfortunately! I will try leaving the door open...I just worry a bit about snakes getting in that's all (we live in the outback). But then, what snake is going to come in to a giant waiting for it?!

I'll try it tonight and see if he takes himself out...will be interesting...will update tomorrow!

Thanks guys

Be careful of the snakes Newfnewf!! (Where abouts in the Kimberleys do you live? My parents live on the Warmun community) Dolly got so used to us pulling her down the stairs that one day we found she started sitting at the kiddie gate at the top of the stairs. We wondered if it meant she needed to go, ran her outside, and presto, a wee! The it just started working like that. It was bizarre. But I was very dedicated to rushing her outside all the time for wees. My boyfriend said I was obsessed and if I ever wrote a book about my time with my dog I would call it the "Poo Diaries". :rolleyes:

Be careful of the snakes Newfnewf!! (Where abouts in the Kimberleys do you live? My parents live on the Warmun community) Dolly got so used to us pulling her down the stairs that one day we found she started sitting at the kiddie gate at the top of the stairs. We wondered if it meant she needed to go, ran her outside, and presto, a wee! The it just started working like that. It was bizarre. But I was very dedicated to rushing her outside all the time for wees. My boyfriend said I was obsessed and if I ever wrote a book about my time with my dog I would call it the "Poo Diaries". :rolleyes:

Thanks Eileen...I'm in the West Kimberley, about 2 and a half hours from Broome...near Camballin.

My god! One of my good friends is a teacher at Warmun! He is just about to finish up! And his fiance who is one of my best friends was a teacher at Frog Hollow, just down the road (she just finished up last week).

How funny, they would know each other for sure! What are you parents doing? Teaching? Nursing? In the parish there?

Wow, I love it when that happens...