Miniature/toy Pomeranians

Nekhbet

OK this is doing my head in

There was a lady who came in looking for a Miniature Pomeranian breeder, as she had had them before and they had all been papered as miniature.

told her there was no such thing, stand of at 20 paces and we agreed to disagree.

Last night in the trading post there were 'miniature toy pomeranians' for sale and they were VCA registered with papers.

am I going mad? did I miss somthing? I thought it was a Pomeranian and thats it ...

There is NO SUCH THING AS MINI POMS!!!!!!

A correct pom (show standard) poms are 3-5lbs. For a good breeder a pet should be around 4-8lbs tops...from a BYB they can be up to 18lbs because they breed their poms for size so they can get more puppies when they breed the bitch.

I live with ppl who breed poms and it drives me INSANE when ppl go "oh! Is that a mini pom!!?" I reply "NO! its the correct size!"

Edited by my_sibe_owns_me

They wont have miniature on the paperwork.....when a person says something to the breeder they will probably say it is a mistake.

There is no such thing as a breed called 'MINIATURE POMERANIANS'

Its darn frustrating when people ring up wanting money grabbing breeds.....like the teacup poodle miniature maltese etc etc etc

Registered with VCA?

Many people new to purebred dogs think the vaccination record, council and/or microchip details are "registration" or "papers".

Is it right to say the pup's papers normally come in the mail later? This has been the case for me.

Makes it complicated for newbies as papers from dodgy breeders will never arrive! "Cheque's in the mail .." Yeah, right!

Pets should be on "limited register" with the canine organisation in your state.

General rule is that every pup is a "pet" unless you say you want a showdog or breeding dog. No guarantees here, either- Reputable breeders sell show "potential"- you can't always tell at < 8 weeks.

Perhaps some less than ethical breeders write 'miniature' in their advertisements because they think that the word will attract more buyers and maybe enable them to charge a higher price? In much the same way that 'teacup' seems to attract the gullible.

Of course the actual word 'miniature' won't appear on the VCA papers, but how many people buying a pet actually even bother to look at the papers? By adding the word 'miniature' they imply that puppy buyers are getting something out of the ordinary and let's face it 'miniature' means 'small' so if they are challenged they can say that they just wished to let people know that poms are a toy breed.

Sounds like a marketing ploy to me.

I get those phone calls at least once a week 'Do you have any mini poms for sale?' Drives me bananas, as no amount of explaining will make them see the truth.

I have one guy in Perth, hunting me for Polly. He was ringing at least 4 times a week to see if I have changed my mind on selling her. I keep telling her that she is only tiny because of what happened to her, and she took me endless nights to keep alive. But he assures me that he knows better and she is the perfect teacup Pom, and he could produce more perfect 'teacups' if I let him buy her. I told him, that if she was bred from, it would kill her. But he doesnt care. He just wants small puppies for more $$$ in his pocket. In the end I told him I was contacting the police as his phone calls were none short of harassment. He hasnt called anymore.

Funnily enough Polly's sister in QLD isnt much bigger than her :) And she was normal right from the word go! So I wonder if Polly's size is normal & not from her bad start?? :o

I have a Pom bitch here who is 4kg. She is beautiful. She was purchased as a brood, her first litter she carried 5 Puppies which wasnt to her advantage. It took a lot out of her. She didnt produce her size though. She is large, but I am going to enter her in a few shows for some fun :rofl: simply because thats what the shows are for me.

Alot of you know Mozzie.. He is on the larger size, which can go against him, but he does well because he is so sound.

Never would I breed my Poms to go 'tiny' as many seem to be doing. It only increases health risks on the Pups, and the death rate on the mothers seems to be going up, as they cant cope with the birth.

Id rather have my Poms at the larger end of the size standard, as they are, or they are in the middle. And lets face it, I havent had any health issues with any of them.

They're all gorgeous :rofl: I was only ever going to have 1 Pom.. I swore Mozzie was my one and only Pom.. :laugh: Now I have 10 spoilt brats :laugh:

post-2093-1196989160_thumb.jpg

post-2093-1196989434_thumb.jpg

You can see from Polly's tongue that she isnt exactly 'normal' :rofl:

post-2093-1196989527_thumb.jpg

I constantly get people telling me that Blossom cant be a Maltese as she is way to small :o . I keep telling people that the breed standard is for dogs 3-4kg, but they just look at me like I am a sucker!

(ps I dont know Blossoms heritage - I call her a Maltese as she appears to be one)

pps I saw something funny on a site the other day. Someone was asking why their dog was so big for the breed. A wise respondant said that she must have the "teapot" variety :laugh:

When my mum had her pom about 40 years ago. way back then she was told that there were "toys and minatures" and that she had a minature.

i will have to tell her about this, as I, like her was always under that impression.

you learn something new everyday

I saw a woman a while ago with a "mini pom"... honestly. Not as cute as standard ones. People were cooing at it and talking about how cute her "mini pom" was.. I heard her say it and just kinda went.. "ah..." and walked off. SHe also had a TINY! chi puppy, this pup already had hert problems and it was showing :drink:

Kinda OT i know but this issue is close to home with me. Having an extra small dog does have its downside. I get people stare and shout comments about my 'rat' or ferret. They laugh and point, Its so rude. I cant walk my chi without being prepared for attention, positive and negative. Of course i wouldnt trade her for the world, but somehow i have had people ask if i want to sell her. It astounds me. Shes small so people seem to think that if they offer money then i would be prepared to sell her. Not for a million dollars.