To Clip Or Not To Clip?

Hi, I didn't want to overtake the clipping the 7yr old retriever post, but I have a GRxstandard poodle and get him washed once a month and the people who do it have said to get him clipped. I will attach his picture as I am not sure whether his hair is more poodle like or GR. He does shed ( yes, that's right) and even though he is washed once a month is quite knotty. What do people think, should I clip or not clip?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u176/Do...oo/jackcrop.jpg - the most recent.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u176/Do...oo/100_1102.jpg - this one was a few months ago but he is standing.

Its really your choice wether or not you want him clipped.If he is not that knotty you could go half the length,it is much easier for you if he is clipped and probably cooler for him.

He's very handsome!!!!!

How old is he ?? His coat is more GR than poodle.

His coat is not as hairy as some of the "groodles" I do but personally I would get him clipped every 12 weeks to keep him in good condition and as his coat will continue to grow.

Brushing will need to be done at least 3 times a week with a slicker and metal comb to make sure there are no knots at all.

If you keep the coat in good condition, you can clip them back to around 1 inch every 3 months and they look very nice and still fluffy or you can go short which is what most people do this time of year. You can keep the coat long if you wish, but it makes much more work for you on a daily basis.

Also, if you leave knots in the coat and do not remove every couple of days, the coat will start to matt, which means the groomer will most likely clip him back very short.

Make sure all knots are out of the coat prior to washing, as this is the cause of matting. (Groomer should be doing this each month! )

Edited once I saw the entire body shot of him ;)

Edited by BC

I would use a coat king on him and also brush him every couple of days.

The people that are washing him, should be brushing him out completley before putting any water on him and also blow drying him 100% to make sure that there are no knots and that his coat is is excellent condition.

I would clip him, but I'm a bit clipper-happy and have poodles that must be clipped :laugh:.

I like the face, feet and base of tail clipped very short as it's so much cleaner. No food and water on face, less dirt tracked indoors and no poo stuck on bum fur. Personal preference.

Make sure you brush him with a slicker brush and comb using a coarse greyhound comb, whatever you decide.

A rake (instead of comb) might be better if you choose not to clip.

Agree with Poodle Mum- you probably won't recognise the dog underneath if you do clip him ;).

How old is he ?? His coat is more GR than poodle.

His coat is not as hairy as some of the "groodles" I do but personally I would get him clipped every 12 weeks to keep him in good condition and as his coat will continue to grow.

Brushing will need to be done at least 3 times a week with a slicker and metal comb to make sure there are no knots at all.

If you keep the coat in good condition, you can clip them back to around 1 inch every 3 months and they look very nice and still fluffy or you can go short which is what most people do this time of year. You can keep the coat long if you wish, but it makes much more work for you on a daily basis.

Also, if you leave knots in the coat and do not remove every couple of days, the coat will start to matt, which means the groomer will most likely clip him back very short.

Make sure all knots are out of the coat prior to washing, as this is the cause of matting. (Groomer should be doing this each month! )

Edited once I saw the entire body shot of him :laugh:

I agree with BC totally ;)

Clippiong a cross breed is different to the convversation about the goldie becuae although your is more golden than poodle you dont get any complications from clipping. Most of the golden x poodles that I groom get clipped off throught summer every 8 to 12 and let to grow in the middle of winter. Definately try and get into the coat atleast twice a week for a good brush that should keep matting toa minimum and just make sure that the washer can show you a picture of the style they do. Unfortunately some people in the biz are still shave happy. Provided that you dog only has a couple of little knotts and its undercoat isnt totally matted you should be able to have only half off him. Around 1/2 or 3/4 inch id say.

Anyway good luck.!

Thanks everyone for your responses, he is about 16mths old and is around 25-30kgs. They are not really groomers, it is one of those hydrobath people, he really looks forward to it and now just sits there. I do think he is a bit matted around his leg areas - they are off limits to him to brush, but i always give him a go over with a brush on the back and underbelly at least once a week. I think I will go with the complete trim to start with and then go from there. I have been quoted between $40-50 to have him done and apparently this is quite cheap. How hard of a job would it be to do it myself if I bought my own clippers? Again, thanks everyone!

It sounds easy doent it? NO its not. I'd let someone that knows what they are doing clip him. Also the price you were quoted is way underpriced, so i'd be VERY careful as you may end up with a SKUN dog. Most groomers I know of wont do longer clips at all, so make sure you and the groomer agree on what it is you want and also what you can have.

...........I do think he is a bit matted around his leg areas - they are off limits to him to brush, but i always give him a go over with a brush on the back and underbelly at least once a week. ........How hard of a job would it be to do it myself if I bought my own clippers? Again, thanks everyone!

What are you brushing him with?

A soft or extra soft slicker brush + greyhound comb should be what you use on a shorter coat.

"Legs off limits" :hug:

You need to train a dog like that to accept, if not like, grooming because they need grooming to stay comfortable.

If you cannot brush his legs, how do you think he'll react to you clipping him? Most poodle breeders recommend you send pups to an experienced groomer for the first 6 months if you are a novice yourself- a good groomer will teach good grooming manners.

Dogs need dog/ horse clippers which start at about $170+ blades, so you'll need a few clips to break even.

I use the expensive ones on dogs, $20 cheapies on the (human) boy.

Cheap pet clippers will not cut through the fur properly and/ or break down very quickly. Many posts on these if you do a search.

Clipping price you're quoted IS very cheap.

I don't think they'll be spending ages combing out those knotted legs- they'll be clipped off and short!

It sounds easy doent it? NO its not. I'd let someone that knows what they are doing clip him. Also the price you were quoted is way underpriced, so i'd be VERY careful as you may end up with a SKUN dog. Most groomers I know of wont do longer clips at all, so make sure you and the groomer agree on what it is you want and also what you can have.

Agree with everything said here. It's a big job, and trust me, if your dogs does not like having his legs brushed, there is no way he is going to let you clip him yourself. Way too cheap so be wary. I would opt to take him to a grooming salon or a skilled mobile groomer, and if your washer is not completely grooming him out prior to a bath, getting rid of all knots entirely, get someone else in as this is causing tighter knots.

Think of your hair tied up too tight in a pony tail ?? Now think of your dog having his legs and possibly an entire body left like that for months, only getting tighter with every wash. Often matted dogs will be quite bruised underneath due to the matting pulling up on the skin, so it is very very uncomfortable for the dog.

The cost you should be looking at is between around $90 to $120 ??

Also, due to matting on the legs the clip will most likely be quite short unless the groomer is willing to sit there for hours splitting the matts and brushing them out. They would also charge more for this.

Also, too bad if your dogs does not like having his legs brushed, they have to be done, so he will have to get used to it.

Invest in a soft slicker and metal comb. Brushing is complete when the metal comb goes through the entire dog to the skin without any knots.

Definately get him clipped and start the coat groth again as he will be much more comfortable without the matting and knots.

Agree about the price. We are cheep for Adelaide at $70 for a big un. If your dog doesnt like having its legs done then my adive is to have him done professionally and have it clipped off. If you have a groomer pulling the knots out and leaving him long not only wil it make it unpleasant for him and more ilkely to play up when you brush him but it wil make the groomers life hell too. Little dogs who pull their legs back are hard enough but 35kg of dog doing it for some groomers would be near impossible to control. A good groomer will be able to get him past this leg theng in the salon but you need to do it at home too. With dogs here if they start pulling their legs back because they dont want them done i just gentle hold the leg and not let them have it back until they stop pulling back on the leg. Then they ge it back and are told how good they are. It works amazingly!

Good Luck!

J@Sandys:

They are not really groomers, it is one of those hydrobath people, he really looks forward to it and now just sits there. I do think he is a bit matted around his leg areas - they are off limits to him to brush

You need to teach him to tolerate brushing EVERYWHERE. It's all part of the responsibility of having a dog with coat. :thumbsup: Do a little every day and reward heavily for good behaviour. Such areas are a magnet for knots, grass seeds etc.

Agree with suggestions about professional grooming but don't expect a big thank you from a groomer for giving them a dog that's not tolerant of it. The more work you do with regular coat maintenance, the less stressful your dog and the groomer will find it.

Most Poodle crosses shed - that's no news here. :thumbsup:

Ive just shaved off a couple of my POms for summer & they are very thankful :rofl: Much cooler.

I love poms clipped :offtopic: they look sooooo cutesy.

This is mum and dads pom Joffa after I clip him for summer.

post-16211-1197267344_thumb.jpg

post-16211-1197267623_thumb.jpg