Tick Information

sheree_e4

There has been lots of threads reguarding ticks lately so I thought I would post all info I have on them so everyone can read it.Maybe it could get pinned later for future referance.

For those who have found a tick on your dog - Remove the tick ASAP it does not matter if the head stays in it will die.

check your dog all over it could have more than 1 tick.

KEEP your dog in a crate or laundry away from noise and keep them quiet for at least 48hrs if they are NOT showing any signs.

If your dog is....breathing differently, temp,vomiting,wobbly at all (even slightly),gurgly,coughing,change of voice take the dog to a vet IMMEDIATLEY.

DO NOT feed your dog or leave water with it. your dog could choke and/or get pneumonia.

REMEMBER even if your dog is on prevention it can still get ticks.

If your dog swims tick collars are useless.

for maximum protection use frontline(every 14 days) in conjuction with proban(every 2 days)

or for cheaper use frontline(every 14 days) and permoxin(weekly)

or advantix.

eta I will continue to update this thread as I recieve more info.

Edited by sheree_e4

Thankyou!

Does anyone here use Proban?

How does it compare, cost-wise, with other treatments like fortnightly Advantix or FrontlinePlus?

Thanks.

Yes, I have used it now for 10 years with no problems at all, but it does work out expensive, Some vets sell it for up to $90, I get it through Vet Products Direct for $53 per 100 bottle. 1 tablet per 10 kilogram bodyweight, every second day for paralysis ticks.

We use prban on my boy. He had severe paralysis as a baby and could have died. I was only 12 at the time so no one listened to me when I said there was something wrong ;) but eventually I threw a huge tanty and went and sat in the car with pup in my lap beeping the horn until dad gave in and came to drive us to the vet. :confused:

Turns out the tick was inside his mouth. So from a baby he learned to tolerate me sticking my fingers in his mouth to check for ticks.

He has been on proban ever since and has never had a tick since :) we get ours from VPD too, and I would recommend it to anyone who asks.

ETA I think it would be a great idea to haev a pinned thread on ticks, especially at this time of the year.

Edited by pitty_lover

• 3 months later...

I am haveing a big problem with ticks atm. They are not the paralasis ones, just brown dog ticks but are very annoying. I have no experience with them previous to this as we are not in a tick area....however I got some rescue pups in from up north a couple of months ago and we seem to have imported them.

I tried frontline.....did not work. Got Advantix....seemed to do the trick but after only 3 wks and 2 days my dogs are covered in them again. I have bathed them and re-did the advantix this weekend and will apply it fortnightly from now on. Will that be enough? I have been reading about Proban and Permoxin....can anyone tell me how effective they are and if I can use it on young pups.(I have 5 rescues here at the moment that are only about 5-6 wks).

Any advice you can give will be most appreciated.....help!

I am haveing a big problem with ticks atm. They are not the paralasis ones, just brown dog ticks but are very annoying. I have no experience with them previous to this as we are not in a tick area....however I got some rescue pups in from up north a couple of months ago and we seem to have imported them.

I tried frontline.....did not work. Got Advantix....seemed to do the trick but after only 3 wks and 2 days my dogs are covered in them again. I have bathed them and re-did the advantix this weekend and will apply it fortnightly from now on. Will that be enough? I have been reading about Proban and Permoxin....can anyone tell me how effective they are and if I can use it on young pups.(I have 5 rescues here at the moment that are only about 5-6 wks).

Any advice you can give will be most appreciated.....help!

I would use Frontline Spray on pups, it will last 3weeks for ticks(seems to work better than top spot aswell).For a dog up to 5kg use 20 pumps.

Proban and permoxin can be used on pups OVER 3mths of age.

You can use frontline and permoxin in conjuction with each other.I personally do this.

With proban the tick needs to feed to die and will still need to be removed.

Edited by sheree_e4

• 4 months later...