Tick Information

sheree_e4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
BUMP LOTS OF TICKS ABOUT :rolleyes: we have had 6 cases this week so far with 1 death .......check your pets daily.

It's scary when people don't realise that ticks can be EVERYWHERE!

Someone called me wanting to adopt a foster after their loved pet of 7 years died after a tick bite in around April - May...in Hunters Hill in Sydney! Not near bush or in summer!!

My four-year-old Golden Retriever is slightly allergic to most chemical tick preventions (her skin gets really itchy). A friend recommended this new product on the market - it's called 'ticlace'. (www.ticlace.com - website looks amazing.). It's like a necklace with stones that emit electric shocks to kill the tics without the dog even realising.

It pretty much sounds perfect for my dog. Has anyone had any experience with it? If so, any feedback?

Furthermore, any other natural alternatives?

Thanks guys.

Someone called me wanting to adopt a foster after their loved pet of 7 years died after a tick bite in around April - May...in Hunters Hill in Sydney! Not near bush or in summer!!

Hunters Hill is very bushy, always been lots of ticks there.

Hunters Hill is very bushy, always been lots of ticks there.

I have just been reading about ticks and the poor case of Darcy I never knew ticks were so bad.I used to live on a farm and had horses and sure we got ticks but I never knew they could kill.

I live in WA in the northern suburbs I'm not sure if this is a tick area ,however I should be using something,I just saw some info you all posted about different products.I thought I might go for something like front line and is it called proban? But which one is the best of the two? and where do I get it from please? My dog is a year year old.

This is a great tread.I am going to also read about fleas also.My wee dog still itches even though a week ago I flea her but with a product from the supre market( I know better now) do some dogs just itch anyhow? On one of my post when I asked people told me what to look for and honesty I don't see fleas or anywhere where the skin is pink or raw?

Is my dog just doing this for no reason? Its not all the time its just I would a have thought she did not need to scratch at all mostly she scratches her neck and between her legs?

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here. I have a 4 month old lab and it's been many years since caring for a pup so I have found these forums very useful.

Wondering if anyone can offer any advice about whether Proban can be used in conjunction with the following products: Advocate, active ingredients are moxidectin & imidacloprid and a Killtix collar, active ingredients are flumethrin a synthetic pyrethroid. Or if anyone is currently treating their pet with this combination of products?

The below is an excerpt taken from a vet supply website in regards to the use of Proban. I am just trying to determine if the produts I currently use go against what is recommended? I've had a vet supply website say it's ok because the tick collar and advocate are not OP based products but then the actual manufacture of Proban email me and say yes to Advantix (which is not what I emailed about) but no to Killtix. Even though the website excerpt below states that any pyrethrin based products are ok?

Proban should not be used with other organophosphate (OP) based products including rinses, shampoos, sprays, collars & other OP-based oral treatments. It is safe to use with Program, Sentinel, Frontline, Advantage, Capstar and all pyrethrin or permethrin based products.

I've had a dog tie from a tick before so I am extremely paranoid plus my area is high risk. I was considering putting my dog on Proban just for the Summer months.

• 4 weeks later...

Definately check your dogs ... twice a day if need be, even if they are on preventatives. Our boy was checked early this morning (when he got home from work) and then about 4 hours later when I was playing with him I noticed something on the side of his mouth.

A sneeky little tick was hiding on the edge of his mouth ... it was immediately removed and he seems fine but now has a bit of a lump where the tick was. The area has been cleaned and he was again treated for ticks (wash - incase there were others hiding) and he got a new tick collar (the other one was 6 weeks old but should last for 8 weeks).

• 1 month later...

We're taking our keeshond up to smiths lake for a trip and heard that its possibly a high tick area? I usually live in Sydney near the city and we've never had a problem (we still put preventatvies: advantix). I'm slightly paranoid about our trip and was hoping someone could advice me on what I should do before and after etc etc.. I'm also planning to let her swim so..

we treated her with advantix last week. our trip will be christmas day. should we treat her again before the trip? or should we rewash her and treat her after her swim? Is it better to use frontline spray or add in permoxin and use advantix?

Thanks for all the great tips as well.. and thanks in advance for the advice!

Can anyone tell me what areas of victoria are tick areas? I am going away in January to Gembrook Victoria from Mill Park in melbourne with 2 Golden Retrievers and wondering if there are ticks there or near there? If there is what treatment prevention is recommended i get to give them prior to going?

• 2 weeks later...

Awfully nice to know I am not the only one being plaqued by ticks. They are not wrong when they say the first thing you know you have brown dog ticks is when they breed and crawl up the walls and curtains in your house!

I have dosed the dogs with advantix but hourly they seem to be still picking them up.

It really urks me as there isn't a flea on the whole property but these rotten ticks came in somehow, probably on my dog after a show.

I might need to investigate Proban I think as the brown dog tick has three life stages and they can last up to 5 mths in each stage without biting a dog.

Two of my dogs are elderly so I need to be careful what I use as their internals aren't what they used to be. Proban sounds like its very safe longterm.

Have a question about Frontline plus - as I have two small dogs (under 10kg), and intend to start treating them fortnightly with Frontline Plus, can I buy the 10 - 20kg packs of Frontline plus and give the dogs half a dose each? Seems a much cheaper way to do it, and I wouldnt have to worry about storing it like i would with only one dog...

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...