Fly Bite On Ears

Rysup

Our first Amstaff's ears are being eaten off his head!

Nothing we try seems to work and after this weekend, he is a real mess.

I am sure we have tried everything, but has anyone got any suggestions for us to try?

We've done Vaseline ruthless, would only really work if I reapplied it 10 times a day, which just is not practical.

He is the only dog in the yard they touch.

Thanks sheree, I will get some and give it a try.

Edited by Rysup

Rysup,I had trouble with The Ab with the Flies.I tried different things but found limited effectiveness.

I did find something that worked for my situation though.Ask a vet for a tube of Troy "Fly Repella Cream" I put a smear on the ears twice a day and that was the end of the problem. Tony

I was going to suggest the Troy repellent as well! You can buy it from most stock feed places that cater to horses & also online.

Good stuff! And don't forget a little Betadine or similar on the existing bites so that they don't get infected.

My friend tried the vaseline/permoxin treatment and it worked for her dogs.

I'm using fly traps myself this year - I pick up the poop twice daily but for some reason have a terrible fly problem, always have.

The fly traps are amazing, inexpensive and quite effective but by God they stink - my friend has them and makes her husband empty them but at my place there's only me - UUUGGHHHH but I hate flies more.

Just go to Bunnings, they don't cost much and may help!

Edited by dogmad

Hi there, another product you can try is called Allpet Fly Repellent cream. Its got an antiseptic in it also which helps to heal the existing bites and sores. I have many customers who swear by this product. If you cant get it up there in Sydney let me know and I am sure I could send it up.

Yep Permoxin is a life saver!

I have a horse who gets QLD itch (Midgee allergy) when he gets bitten he gets big weaping hives then rubs all his hair off!

Spraying with permoxin (mixed with water to the labels specifications) morning and evening you would never even know he had itch.

I use Advantix by bayer, flea/tick/sandflies/mossies and it repells the general blowfly as well.

Use it on two of my dogs and my boss's dogs who's noses would bleed from being bitten.

You can see the flies land then quickly move away.

Mel.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

Thanks everyone! We have been doing Vaseline morning and night the last 2 days and its helping, but if it gets hot again I think we will have more trouble.

We have fly traps, we spray the yards and kennels, but after the bad storms and then all this rain, the flies seem to be coming from nowhere.

We have the purple spray to prevent infection, but yes his ears are already fly blown. It's nasty stuff let me tell you!

I feel for you, fortunately our dogs are not being bitten at the moment and they are being sprayed with insect repellent a couple of times a day.

Clean up the poo as often as you can, chuck bleach and water on any cement areas where they have piddled and we are using the jumbo fly traps. We are getting a jumbo trap full in nearly a day :o

It's horrible to watch the flies eat the dogs and it takes one little bite and they are all over them.