How Do I Convince Someone?

Cathryn

My friend has a five and a half month old Maltese x Shih tzu. He's a gorgeous puppy but, as I'm sure you'd imagine, he already has extremely long, flowing hair.

So, especially considering the fact that we're going into what's predicted as a very humid summer, and that she lives in a house that gets very hot, I mentioned today that she'll have to get his fur trimmed. I brought it up yesterday, as well, and both days I got replies along the same lines - she has an aunty who used to be a vet-nurse, who's told her that as long as she brushes him regularly he'll be fine because the air will get through or something like that.

Now, both times I've just kind of smiled and nodded, because I don't have the information to successfully argue the point. But I thought I'd come on here and ask - am I right, and the puppy should be professionally groomed for both his wellbeing and comfort, particularly during the hot summer months? And if so, what sort of information should I present to her to try and convince her? She's very stubborn, gets angry easily and considering that the person who told her not to worry is family and a former vet-nurse, I don't know how much chance I'll have of persuading her, but it's worth a try, I guess. :)

I dont have a problem with the dogs coat being long all year round as long as it is groomed out (brushed through) properly, and assuming the dog is indoors, or in shade throughout the day.

Many people get their dogs coats clipped short for summer, but also mainly cos they're out more with their dogs and its less work for them maintaining a long coat.

As long as she does groom the coat properly and the dog does not become knotty or matted, then I dont see a problem with it.

I have seen this many many times before though. They keep the coat long as a young dog, cos it looks so beautiful etc, but the novelty does wear off and she will end up getting the dog clipped once she is over the hard work of grooming daily.

My youngest dog Tyke is this cross breed and he was almost a year old before I clipped him short. Saying that I did brush him every second day so he was completely knot free and even now I prefer him long haired. He doesn`t seem to suffer in the heat from his fur - although now even when long I still do a hygiene clip around his groin and lower tummy.

As long as he is well looked after and has shade and water during the day he should be fine.

There is no reason for the dog to be clipped off if brushed & maintained.

Long coats survive just aswell as a short coated breed the only difference is the brushing if you want a long coat it must be brushed through.

I am a groomer & yes many people do clip then off simply because they cant/wont brush them so its easier to maintain in a nice fluffy puppy trim but many also maintain there longs coats & put the hard yards in.

Ditto the above :).

It's the long, matted/ badly knotted coats that are the problem as they become more like armour than fur.

It's the build up of dust, dirt and knots in the coat with lack of brushing that causes problems.

Fur's like those wool ads: keeps you warm in winter, cool in summer.

I have indoor-outdoor dogs and would suggest she trims away the fur under paws and between the "toes"- much cleaner and avoid grass seeds etc. going unseen.

Make sure she has a decent brush and comb and gets right down to the skin- otherwise there will be lots of knots close to the skin, giving that armour-like effect.

When the coat changes from pup to adult (around 12 months) this is peak time for matting even with regular brushing. You have to brush and comb daily then.

I completely agree with the other posters, I have a long coated breed and I keep them in full show coat all year. Actually I can never understand why people buy a long coated breed and then clip the coat off, why not buy a short coated dog if they can't be bothered to groom them.

Good on this person for being prepared to groom the dog and look after its coat, I wish more people would take the trouble.

I too agree with all the other posters.

We keep one of our dogs in full coat - she is brushed daily to check for any tangles , and to help keep the coat healthy.

Our other girl is in a shorter coat - her coat tecture is better suited to that.. However, she used to be in long coat

As long as there is shade and water .... your friends little dog should be fine

However.... long coats do need daily brushing , so she needs to keep on top of this

Thanks for correcting me, everyone :o And thanks for mentioning that he needs daily brushing - she's said she only needs to brushe him weekly, so I'll mention this to her.

Iwould never clip for heat, its a total misconception. Long coats insulate from temperature extremes. How do you think Afghans survive the heat in their native country!!

I did state in my original post that I didn't have all the information, and wanted to know. I was simply asking to be sure, for the puppy's sake. :eek:

Thanks for correcting me, everyone :eek: And thanks for mentioning that he needs daily brushing - she's said she only needs to brushe him weekly, so I'll mention this to her.
Iwould never clip for heat, its a total misconception. Long coats insulate from temperature extremes. How do you think Afghans survive the heat in their native country!!

I did state in my original post that I didn't have all the information, and wanted to know. I was simply asking to be sure, for the puppy's sake. :)

sorry, didnt mean to sound snappy!

I live in Brisbane, summer is pretty hot and it drives me nuts seeing all the clipped coated dogs around baking in the sun without their 'natural curtains!' :o

And for starters the dog is too young to be clipped!! Sorry but dealing with people who have no idea about grooming requirements of their breed of dog makes me angry. I swear sometimes its like talking to a brick wall. Why do people think because their dog is panting it needs to be clipped :o Do you need to walk around naked because you sweat??

sorry, didnt mean to sound snappy!

I live in Brisbane, summer is pretty hot and it drives me nuts seeing all the clipped coated dogs around baking in the sun without their 'natural curtains!'

That's okay :rofl:

And for starters the dog is too young to be clipped!! Sorry but dealing with people who have no idea about grooming requirements of their breed of dog makes me angry. I swear sometimes its like talking to a brick wall. Why do people think because their dog is panting it needs to be clipped Do you need to walk around naked because you sweat??

For starters, it's not my dog, it's my friends. I do know about the grooming requirements of my own dog, thanks very much - I just wanted to verify that one point. Second, I was under the impression that DOL was a site where people could learn more about taking care of animals, and ask questions about things they're unsure about - which is what I did. Sorry if wanting to check something makes you angry - I don't think my original post was offensive or rude in any way. And the main reason I wanted to ask was because I've read and heard a number of conflicting things on the subject, some of which have been on DOL - the main reason I wanted to check again. In fact, I once read something that said that to have a 5 and a half month old long haired puppy and not clip it was cruel.

Also, if you'd read the thread thoroughly, you'd realise it's already been pointed out that I was wrong and I've thanked people for correcting me, and teaching me more about the subject. So I don't know why you use the analogy of banging your head against a brick wall.

Maybe your comments weren't referring to me, but to people in general - but if so, you shouldn't have phrased it rudely in response to my question.

Thanks again to all the people who answered me politely :laugh:

Edited by Cathryn

Do you need to walk around naked because you sweat??

actually i would if i could :cry:

lots of people think it cruel of me to have double coated akitas in the 'hot australian sun' im in sydney but know of a few in darwin!

as said above a natural coat insulates from the hot and cold :rofl: my 2 are fine but do love to play in the paddling pool all summer :laugh:

The long coat does work as insulation. I always shell my Maltese ie clip all his belly and groin area even under the armpits. This will be my Shih Tzu's first summer and I will be doing the same with her.

If your friend does clip down her dog I hope she remembers to use sunscreen on it. Even in long coats Maltese have pink skin and sunscreen is needed down the centre part.

Hopefully DOL is a place to ask questions and there will always be many answers. Choose what suits you and your dog and circumstances.

For example: I totally disagree with "doggrooma" If you have a breed that will be clipped and scissored all its life then I hope it would have had several proffessional grooms by 5 months. Poodle puppies have generally had up to 3 face, feet and tails by the time they go to their new homes at 8 -10 weeks. Why? To accustom them to the noise and processes of shaving so that they will be well on their way to happily acceting grooming. Having clippers on your face for the first time at 5 months could be very frightening and traumatic IMO

Edited by frufru

If you have a breed that will be clipped and scissored all its life then I hope it would have had several proffessional grooms by 5 months. Poodle puppies have generally had up to 3 face, feet and tails by the time they go to their new homes at 8 -10 weeks. Why? To accustom them to the noise and processes of shaving so that they will be well on their way to happily acceting grooming. Having clippers on your face for the first time at 5 months could be very frightening and traumatic IMO

Yes, I agree. I have done quite a few puppies from around 10 weeks onwards, and by the time they are 8-12 months old and have been groomed 3 times already they are an absolute dream to groom. Much better behaved than the older puppies in for thier first groom, and better behaved than many older dogs who only get done once or twice a year.

Even though they are scared on their first groom, and even sometimes their second, they are alot less cautious at a younger age and get accustomed to it very quickly, plus they are FUN FUN FUN :rofl:

Dogs should be groomed from babies YES!!!! Its essential. But as for clipping the body coat, it should not be done till the dog is around 12 months, as the coat can be damaged. I wont clip puppies for this reason. I was taught this way and every decent groomer I know or even your vet will tell you this.

Edited by Doggrooma