Why Oh Why Is He Doing This Now?

Spanner

We've had our now 10 month old GSP (desexed male) for about 8 weeks now. Since we've got him he's had one of those raised trampoline type beds with a comfy cushion type thing on the top. I used to take it away during the day but then one day it was cold and raining and I had to go out so I left it there for him, no problems so from then on I've left it out there for him all day and night (he has a separate cushion bed for inside). Two days ago I took the cover off the cushion to wash it. My husband took him for a walk, put him in the garden, came inside and when I went out about 5 minutes later it had snowed green foam bits everywhere and his cushion was totally destroyed! So now I've put an old quilt inside the cover of the old cushion and this morning when I've gone outside the cushion is in the middle of the garden (thankfully still intact!). Why after 8 weeks of never moving his cushion or trying to destroy it has he started doing this????

(He has been quite sick of and on since we got him and had surgery two weeks ago but is well now).

Probably no reason other than being a youngster, still.

My dogs are well-exercised, get training, interaction etc. and the younger one also chewed up an outdoor trampoline bed at the same age.

I bought a cheap, foam-filled waterproof cushion from a pet warehouse for $30.

Cheap blankets from Vinnies etc. are also good. Polarfleece fabric is a favourite here- anything polarfleece the kids leave on the floor becomes a dog bed.

He doesn't really need a cushion, so don't worry about it.

GSPs are high energy. Is he getting enough stimulation and exercise?

Yep Kaos likes to chew his bedding - he only gets old towels and old polarfleece jumpers. Sometimes I can hear the ripping noise coming from his crate! :)

They do generally outgrow this - my older two don't chew their beds anymore and so get nicer bedding :D

You removed the cushion cover which in turn exposed him to something with different texture/look. This would have tweaked his curiousity and thus he's done the natural thing .... he's explored it. And now he's found out that there's fun to be had.

I find that foam rubber (texture, I presume) is quite inviting and numerous dogs tend to enjoy the simple act of ripping it to shreads.

He's done it once. Keep a watchful eye so that you can train him to learn it isn't something you approve of so that hopefully it isn't an activity that becomes habitual.

I dog sat some dogs some while back - didn't know they'd learnt this behaviour. I too came home to some destruction that I wasn't expecting (and the taget was foam rubber). Fortunately, it was not high value items for me. But knowledge of it then helped me work against them continuing to think that the behaviour was "ok", and saved other items from destruction.

Don't know about others, but I've found the lounge chairs most often destroyed are those that are cushioned with foam rubber. Not to say other styles don't cop a beating now and again ..... but the foam supported ones seem to be favourites.

Edited by Erny

Perfectly normal behaviour unfortunately! My house has never recovered from 2 young destructive dogs, still bears all the scars and I haven't been able to afford to replace everything - no houseplants left and many garden plants destroyed, new coffee table, many books and other small items too including cushions, bedding etc.

The bigger the dog, the worse it may be.

You do need to exercise Pointers significantly, my friend always walked hers for at least 5 kms every morning at 5 am!!! Did it for years until just before he passed away aged 13.

Regarding exercising of pointers, this one is a puppy and they should not be lead walked for long periods because of potential arthritis problems later. My Bruno had only very short walks until 12 months of age and then they can go for longer. He will have to wear off the rest of his energy in the backyard if it's big enough.

My two love dragging their inside beds outside so I gave them a piece of shadecloth which they drag around to their favourite spot in the yard.

By about 18 months my gsp's were calm and stopped chewing things. Bruno has never been a digger but Bella did used to dig a few holes. :)

Have fun. GSPs are the best and smartest companions.

BellasPerson

I did wonder if it had something to do with the fact that I had removed the cover thus exposing a different material underneath. He hasn't tried to chewed the trampoline bed but he doesn't seem to like it without the cushion! I'm not new to GSP's, our last one loved to destroy things too but grew out of it eventually. I guess this one took me by surprise as he's not been very destructive at all considering his age however I have to acknowledge that in the 7-8 weeks we've had him he's been sick a lot of the time so maybe I'm now seeing his true colours because he is well! He had been getting daily walks up until his surgery and he is now allowed walks again but unfortunately now I am unable to take him for walks due to my own injury but OH is helping but he gets a fair amount of exercise in our large yard running around with 3 kids. Have been hoping he'd love our pool and would get a bit of exercise that way but we can't intice him in even when the 3 kids are in having a ball. Any tips to get them used to water? (our last GSP loved water , like most GSP's do, but his one was raised in the country so not sure what exposure he's had.)

Sounds like you are doing a fantastic job.

With the pool, I would take him in without the kids on a lead and let him paddle around. He'll soon figure out he loves it :o

When I was coaxing Bella in, I borrowed a dog who loved swimming to give her a demo and she hasn't looked back since. Bruno is not so keen yet as I haven't had anywhere for him to swim but I took him once on a lead just walking through the water. I will give this another go soon.

BellasPerson

He's fallen into the pool twice (coz he didn't quite know what it was!)but all he did was swim straight to edge and pull himself out. I don't want to force him in but do you think if i go in with him on a lead he'll be ok? I certainly don't want to scare him off.

With my previous dog, it was really cold one winter (outdoor dog) so I gave her my old feather duna, still remember her kennel in the morning, it looked like it had snowed. The only way I could clean it our was to use a leaf blower, so I got covered in feathers. To my luck so far, my puppy hasn't ate her bed, but I am sure it is comming, so I have already brought spare covers. At the moment she is probably to busy destroying everything else, to worry about ruining her bed.

Edited by chloebear

If it smells clean, looks new or expensive or cant be replaced easily the love it dont ask me why they generally do..

I have lost count of the shredded matts, blankets, doonas, pillow slips, doona covers, towels, pillows and lounges etc etc and with two bitches if it belongs to one after the struggle.. then the other pees on it for ownership..

it does pass.. eventually :o

He's fallen into the pool twice (coz he didn't quite know what it was!)but all he did was swim straight to edge and pull himself out. I don't want to force him in but do you think if i go in with him on a lead he'll be ok? I certainly don't want to scare him off.

It will work if you do it quietly and calmly and coax him along with praise or treats. The lead on just makes them thing they should follow you. He will be less frightened if there is no noise and there is only you there.

Also, throwing a ball in the water - 50cms away - should coax a reluctant GSP.

Have fun

Nothing can coax my 5 month old GSP into our pool. He hates it. My friend's lab comes up and swims and he stands at the edge barking at her and won't come in with us either (though we have dragged him in a few times).

Although he destroys anything else he can get to, he's never really tried to tear his bed, luckily. I have lost a few thongs and pillows (his two favourites), though.

I did train my dogs in a lake rather than a pool and we just walked along the edge in gradually deeper water, giving praise and treats. The pool must look scarier and they wouldn't be able to stand up.

Training anything is easier if you break it up in baby-steps. Eg, walk into the water and straight out again without swimming.

You could float your thongs on top of the water :)

Have fun..