How To Teach A Male Dog Not To Lift His Leg?

I have had a dog that started to show the marking trait when working. I did the following steps.

Took the dog out of run and onto lead. quick bit of healing then released and told toilet.

After a couple of minutes back on lead and more heal work.

Then moved up to healing past distraction "where he had marked when released".

Then recalled passed distraction point.

Next retrieve past distraction point.

Moved to area when other dogs had been to toilet.

Same process. Out of car on lead quick heal work, toilet and then more heal work.

Heal work past distraction, (a bush or tree that had been used by other dogs.)

Progressed to recall past and then retrieve past.

I think it took me about 3 weeks to get to this point and I had a weekly session at it for another month or two.

The dog had only started to show this trait and it was stopped quickly.

If the dog had had this trait for any amount of time I think this it would become a maintenance issue. (Something you continue to work at the keep the desired response)

Country joe

I have had a dog that started to show the marking trait when working. I did the following steps.

Took the dog out of run and onto lead. quick bit of healing then released and told toilet.

After a couple of minutes back on lead and more heal work.

Then moved up to healing past distraction "where he had marked when released".

Then recalled passed distraction point.

Next retrieve past distraction point.

Moved to area when other dogs had been to toilet.

Same process. Out of car on lead quick heal work, toilet and then more heal work.

Heal work past distraction, (a bush or tree that had been used by other dogs.)

Progressed to recall past and then retrieve past.

I think it took me about 3 weeks to get to this point and I had a weekly session at it for another month or two.

The dog had only started to show this trait and it was stopped quickly.

If the dog had had this trait for any amount of time I think this it would become a maintenance issue. (Something you continue to work at the keep the desired response)

Country joe

Hey CJ, did you simplify training initially also? Did your problematic dog pee on the way to a retrieve or on the way back?

Onslow squats, has never lifted his leg, he was desexed at 4 months of age

my old female maltese RIP used to lift her leg on everything when we were out walking

Flash, now desexed, lifts his leg but I don't let him lift it on anything and everything. If we are out walking and he goes to lift it on a car tyre for example a quick tug of the lead and a "no" as I continue to walk stops anything happening.

Lablover

He started on the way back.

Simplified everything.

When I took him back to a trial I had him recall through part of the exercise area. then retrieve from the exercise area.

I have never had a dog that had a deep seated problem with this. If I did I would use the same process and keep the maintenance up.

I would possibly try using a checkcord. Depending on the dog.

Country joe.

Lablover

He started on the way back.

Simplified everything.

When I took him back to a trial I had him recall through part of the exercise area. then retrieve from the exercise area.

I have never had a dog that had a deep seated problem with this. If I did I would use the same process and keep the maintenance up.

I would possibly try using a checkcord. Depending on the dog.

Country joe.

Ta, CJ. So and so, had to number two today while swimming back from a retrieve. Did he stop, no, just left floaters.

Hey currently watching JA's basic's DVD, wanna lend? Gee wizz, they use the check cord, in drills I had forgotten. Interesting.

I Obedience train my boys to walk at heel. The latest one is now 5 years old, he will not lift his leg on anything if he's wearing his Obedience check chain unless I walk him to a lamp post or tree and use our toilet command 'Hurry up' Used mainly for town walks through cafe seating and the normal crowded footpath items. Also for visiting non dog people friends. Slip his check chain on and he's at heel, no messing around.

Ordinary fun walks are on a collar and extender lead and he can please himself as long as there is still an instant recall to my side when necessary.

Keep it simple & consistent and most of all don't forget the praise.

He's an entire Champion Stud dog. (Cavalier)

Orson squats when hes inside the house and going on newspaper. When hes outside for the loo, sometimes he will squat and sometimes he will lift his leg (territorial thing). Its funny watching his lift his leg cos he will do a half cock :)

I never realised you could teach a dog to not lift his leg......:rolleyes:

Havent read the thread but i wish i knew!!!!

I have a pee-aholic :champagne:

He does it when he is excited, stressed, sometimes just cause and i have to give him a wee break before we do any 'work'

Its not going to change now as he is 5, i will say that desexing done nothing but i never expected it too as it was ingrained into him already.

Edited by tollersowned