Goodbye Cougar

Anna H

Tonight at 8pm, my beloved Cougar was given his wings... he was so very tired after living a totally wonderful life.

Tears are streaming right now, I dunno how I will ever fill this void in my heart - they broke the mould when they made this dog. I'll be back when strong enough to write his story.

:( RIP old man, we'll meet again someday.

ETA: I was 15 when bought Cougar from a pet shop back in 94 for a whole of $25 after finding out that they were going to 'get rid of him' as he was too old to be sold (he was 9 weeks!)... little did I know at the time that this dog was going to be my 'heart dog' and the best damn friend I'd ever have. When I bought him home, my parents when ballistic as they didn't want another dog (we already had a JRT) but somehow between my whining and Cougar's pleading eyes, he was allowed to stay and become a much loved member of our family. It was almost as if he 'knew' how lucky he was to have a home, never once did he soil inside the house, nor run inside, nor bark inside... such a perfect gentleman. Outside was a different story, he totally destroyed my Mums' beautiful garden, digging gigantic holes and ripping out plants just for the thrill of it.... luckily he had already won the hearts of the family.

I spent many hours training him at the local club, he went on to gain his CDX before his 2nd birthday - mostly because of his extreme drive to 'fetch' which made him want to work like none I'd seen before (it was about this time that I vowed that the day he couldn't play fetch, I would give him his wings). I worked extra hours at a local burger place to make sure I had enough money to get him desexed, wormed and vacc'd... and to ensure he only ate the best food available (Euk & raw bones).

I had a really rough teenage years, mostly due to bullying and boughts of anxiety/panic attacks... Cougar was always there to catch my tears and listen to my secrets. That dog knows all my deepest darkest secrets, most of which none others know.

The silly bugger always was scared of thunderstorms, no matter how high I made the fence, he'd find a way over in his panic if for some reason he was left out during an unforcasted storm... I nearly lost my darling Cougar quite a few times, and he'd found his way to the pound a couple of times too. I was always greeted with a sheepish doggy smile when I came to collect him. He was still scaling 10 foot fences when he was at the ripe old age of 10!

He was a dog that never really grew up, until one day about 6 months ago, I walked outside and he was suddenly old.. I've heard of this happening with working breeds, but never really seen it. From that point on, he just deteriated. He became very thin, yet suddenly had a huge appetite, his lovely lush black coat had become thin and orange in colour, his hips were going on him from years of working them too hard. I wanted him to spend one last Christmas with the family before setting his tired body free... I needed to let him go before the young 'puppy' within his eyes went. I never wanted him to be old and sad - I gave him his wings whilst he was a happy dog. Old, frail and tired, but happy.

I'll never be sorry for setting him free, but I am so so sad to have lost probably the best dog and friend I'll ever have the pleasure of knowing.

Run free old boy, may you be waiting for me at the bridge when my time comes - with a ball in your mouth ready to play fetch again. You've left a gaping hole in our familys' hearts, but also so many wonderful memoried.

We love you Cougar.

post-2657-1198841277_thumb.jpg

Edited by ChelseasMum

Oh CM, He will be a happy old chappy upstairs now, you know it was his time. He looked like a very beautiful Happy boy. im sure he will have a great time with the other oldies up there, digging and peeing on everything.

:(:laugh:

Edited by rugerfly

CM - very sorry for your loss mate.

I had to let my old rescue girl go last year at the age of 14 and it just tears you up even though you know in your heart of hearts that you've done the right thing. I bet old Cougar boy is now charging around at the bridge, pain free and happy as larry looking down on you saying "thanks"!

RIP Cougar :D

I really need to keep out of here. I am sitting here weeping for all those who have gone to the bridge over the Christmas break. Not just for going to the bridge though giving thanks for the wonderful lives these 4 legged best friends we have had.

I am sure that Cougar is chasing rainbows :laugh:

I needed to let him go before the young 'puppy' within his eyes went. I never wanted him to be old and sad - I gave him his wings whilst he was a happy dog. Old, frail and tired, but happy.

:vomit: Oh CM, that gave me a huge lump in my throat.. He was such a handsome boy, what a spark he had in his eye!! You were lucky to have eachother.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and kind words. All your support is really helping me through this tough time.

I found this picture taken of Cougar a few days after I bought him home... I scanned it so I could post it.

post-2657-1199063394_thumb.jpg

Tonight at 8pm, my beloved Cougar was given his wings... he was so very tired after living a totally wonderful life.

Tears are streaming right now, I dunno how I will ever fill this void in my heart - they broke the mould when they made this dog. I'll be back when strong enough to write his story.

:vomit: RIP old man, we'll meet again someday.

ETA: I was 15 when bought Cougar from a pet shop back in 94 for a whole of $25 after finding out that they were going to 'get rid of him' as he was too old to be sold (he was 9 weeks!)... little did I know at the time that this dog was going to be my 'heart dog' and the best damn friend I'd ever have. When I bought him home, my parents when ballistic as they didn't want another dog (we already had a JRT) but somehow between my whining and Cougar's pleading eyes, he was allowed to stay and become a much loved member of our family. It was almost as if he 'knew' how lucky he was to have a home, never once did he soil inside the house, nor run inside, nor bark inside... such a perfect gentleman. Outside was a different story, he totally destroyed my Mums' beautiful garden, digging gigantic holes and ripping out plants just for the thrill of it.... luckily he had already won the hearts of the family.

I spent many hours training him at the local club, he went on to gain his CDX before his 2nd birthday - mostly because of his extreme drive to 'fetch' which made him want to work like none I'd seen before (it was about this time that I vowed that the day he couldn't play fetch, I would give him his wings). I worked extra hours at a local burger place to make sure I had enough money to get him desexed, wormed and vacc'd... and to ensure he only ate the best food available (Euk & raw bones).

I had a really rough teenage years, mostly due to bullying and boughts of anxiety/panic attacks... Cougar was always there to catch my tears and listen to my secrets. That dog knows all my deepest darkest secrets, most of which none others know.

The silly bugger always was scared of thunderstorms, no matter how high I made the fence, he'd find a way over in his panic if for some reason he was left out during an unforcasted storm... I nearly lost my darling Cougar quite a few times, and he'd found his way to the pound a couple of times too. I was always greeted with a sheepish doggy smile when I came to collect him. He was still scaling 10 foot fences when he was at the ripe old age of 10!

He was a dog that never really grew up, until one day about 6 months ago, I walked outside and he was suddenly old.. I've heard of this happening with working breeds, but never really seen it. From that point on, he just deteriated. He became very thin, yet suddenly had a huge appetite, his lovely lush black coat had become thin and orange in colour, his hips were going on him from years of working them too hard. I wanted him to spend one last Christmas with the family before setting his tired body free... I needed to let him go before the young 'puppy' within his eyes went. I never wanted him to be old and sad - I gave him his wings whilst he was a happy dog. Old, frail and tired, but happy.

I'll never be sorry for setting him free, but I am so so sad to have lost probably the best dog and friend I'll ever have the pleasure of knowing.

Run free old boy, may you be waiting for me at the bridge when my time comes - with a ball in your mouth ready to play fetch again. You've left a gaping hole in our familys' hearts, but also so many wonderful memoried.

We love you Cougar.

Miss Me A Little

Miss me a little but not too long

And not withyour head bowed low;

Remember the love that once we shared,

Miss me, but let me go.

For this is a journey we all must take

And each must go alone;

It’s all a part of the Master’s plan,

A step on the Road to Home.

When you are lonely and sick of heart

Go to the friends we know, and