So Many Different Breeds......

Mrsdog

Just writing up a new book and trying to get organised for 2008 and thought you might be interested in how many different breeds we have in our Flyball group. Just started competing last year and how amazing that so many different dogs can get on so well. Here they are:

Tenterfield Terrier, Border Collie, Stumpy Tail Cattle Dog, Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, Staffordshire Terrier, Cocker Spaniel, Great Dane, Pharaoh Hound, Australian Bulldog, Whippet, Standard Poodle, Bearded Collie, Lagotto Romagnolo and many cross breeds.

Don't you think it is incredible that so many very different breeds can all participate in flyball and have such a good time? Of course we, the owners, do enjoy ourselves as well.

Come along and check us out - we'll be at the Sydney Royal, Canberra Royal, Crookwell Show.

Happy New Year to you all - I just know it is going to be a BIG one.

Noels.

Surely do need a Dalmatian - why don't you move? We'd welcome you with open arms.

So don't you think that any breed can do Flyball? The dogs learn so quickly because it is self-rewarding and it is great for the handler since the doggies do all the work. Also less stressful than Agility for instance, as I can still manage to stuff my dog up on an agility course!

Noels.

Surely do need a Dalmatian - why don't you move? We'd welcome you with open arms.

So don't you think that any breed can do Flyball? The dogs learn so quickly because it is self-rewarding and it is great for the handler since the doggies do all the work. Also less stressful than Agility for instance, as I can still manage to stuff my dog up on an agility course!

Noels.

:cry: Don't tempt me!

There is not a great deal of dog clubs on the Gold Coast - if I move, I will quite likely consider what clubs are in the new area I choose. ;)

It'd be great seeing all the different doggies do their thing in the same team - and they'd each have their individual strengths to offer the team. :mad

I think that's one of the things I love about flyball. Our club has had all sorts of dogs competing in the past and at the moment we have: Labs, B/C's and B/C crosses, Mini Bull Terrier, Boston Terrier, Cavalier King Charles Sp, a lovely little x breed rescue girl, possibly Whippet x Collie and a Toller.

In the past we've had Boxers, a Beagle, Jack Russells', Aussie Shepherds, Pappillions and all sorts of X's.

They're interesting to watch because even if they don't get on super well, they sort out their positions in the pack and tolerate each other. When a new dog joins it creates a bit of interest among the 'regular' dogs and it has to go through the greeting rituals. If an unknown dog comes into our gazebo area at a comp it's very closely watched. :(

Todd and I will be at the Canberra Royal so I'll try to catch up with you there. :(

There you go - multicultural, that's what we are! LOL

While I'm at the Canberra Royal I am going to have a look at a PON. What's that you may well ask? Well, proper name Polish Lowland Herding Dog (I think?) It is a medium size, sturdy dog. I like a medium size dog. Google it up, really so cute. Thinking about it..........

Noels.

My club started flyball training mid last year. So far we've got a dalmatian, cattle dog x, Bearded collie, staffy x, a ridgeback x something, and my 2 smooth collies - notice how we have none of those black and white dogs! (no offence intended to any border collie owners :) ).

We are getting really close to being ready for competition and are hoping that that will be mid this year. Our biggest problem at the moment though is not a training one but coming up with a team name that every one agrees on!

Cheers, TA.

Edited by Billand

Good on you! We need new flyball groups. Do you know that flyball is the fastest growing dogsport in the world today?

Our flyball group is relatively new, entering our first comp in March 2007, and we now have 20 AFA registered dogs. Not all up to competition standard, but look out world - here we come!

Don't have a particularly fast team yet and still have a lot to learn but are we ever having a good time. We have entered two teams in the Nationals at Canberra 23/24 February. This is expected to attract 40 teams, with two overseas judges, eight judges in all at last count and three rings. That is just so exciting. I thought I read somewhere that there will be a team from Tasmania and one from South Australia - is that yours?

So good luck and welcome.

Noels.

We will be at Canberra too, so hopefully will see you there :confused:

Our team has Borders, a Staffy (with another nearly ready), Tollers, SWF, Kelpie, Lab and a fair few crossbreeds.

While working breeds do excel in the sport, i do love watching other breeds run.....and i do a little happy dance when a team full of 'misfit' breeds beats one that is three quarter BCs :laugh:

My Pug is about to have her first Flyball competition :o

Oh I cant wait to see the little puggie competing!!!

Love watching the non working breeds at competitions. Like Callaghan the Irish Wolfie...such a beautiful gentle giant taking his time up and down the course. Loved watching him.

Is the pug going to the Nationals?

Hope so...

Love watching the non working breeds at competitions. Like Callaghan the Irish Wolfie...such a beautiful gentle giant taking his time up and down the course. Loved watching him.

Hope so...

Is Callaghan doing the Nationals?

Would love too see a wolfie doing flyball....and a pug too would be awesome!

I saw a Beagle competing in Flygility - funny thing was very entertaining to watch. He'd head out down the lane and when he'd reached the box, he'd sit and throw his head back in a bay! "Mum! I've found the box mum!" - absolutely hilarious, but not much of a competition winner :eek:

Hope so...

Yes Daisy is entered at the Nationals (her first comp). We were going to Crookwell but that has been cancelled so the nationals will be our first attempt.

I am praying for a cool weekend (rain would be good) as if it gets hot she will not run!