Raw Meat: Where Do You Get It?

laffi

I get kangaroo from a local pet meat place. He gets it from a butcher (he has some deal where he gets all their off cuts and frames/necks etc that people dont eat for next to nothing). He minces all the kangaroo stuff. I sometimes get kangaroo tails from either Petbarn or my local coles but it is expensive so I don't do that often.

No idea about rabbit though.

I have been getting my roo from Woolies. It is expensive though at around $7/kg. I saw some posts on here about a place at Lawnton recently and went to check it out. It was shut for Christmas but it is reopening on Monday so I will be going again. It is off Paisley Dr at Lawnton anyway...don't know if that is too far away for you?

Found the link for you

Big Dog

Edited by pomquest

Check out your local supermarkets and pet supply stores. I get fish heads at my local seafood shop, kangaroo tail pieces, rabbits and beef steaks from a local pet supply/feed store, and chicken frames from Lenard's.

Supermarkets stock many things at reasonable prices - I've picked up chicken giblets, chicken necks and prawns from the deli sections (plus I've found that chicken pieces like wings/thighs/legs are cheaper in the deli than in the actual meat department of the same store).

Through extensive searching of the supermarkets in my local area I've been lucky enough to find fresh goat, quail, rabbit, kangaroo and the usual assorted bits and pieces like offal/organs/other meat. For some reason the supermarket in the lower income part of town has the most variety meat wise - not sure why, but it's good for me!

Check out Canine Country at Woodridge - you can even get camel meat from them!

ETA - you may not be able to get rabbit easily unless you know someone who will hunt them for you :laugh: Most food bunnies are farmed and rather expensive.

Edited by KitKat

I was looking at www.caninecountry.com.au website and it doesn't have anything about rabbit but they do have a lot of stuff! I went there the other day and got some Eagle pack.

Big dog - link previously provided are mainly like ready made Barf mixes.

Wouldn't have a clue where to get rabbit from!

Edited by Russ_Ren

I buy minced meat from a pet store called Megapet Warehouse in Victoria. Not sure if it's a chain or not. They sell roo, rabbit, veal, chicken, beef, and puppy mince. (I'm sure it's not made from puppies though). :)

ETA: Just googled and it seems there are 4 in Vic. No mention of other states though.

Edited by Sir WJ

I have been getting my roo from Woolies. It is expensive though at around $7/kg. I saw some posts on here about a place at Lawnton recently and went to check it out. It was shut for Christmas but it is reopening on Monday so I will be going again. It is off Paisley Dr at Lawnton anyway...don't know if that is too far away for you?

Found the link for you

Big Dog

Thank you so much. Where do you find roo in Woolies: deli section or meat section? Do they always have it?

Check out Canine Country at Woodridge - you can even get camel meat from them!

ETA - you may not be able to get rabbit easily unless you know someone who will hunt them for you :shrug: Most food bunnies are farmed and rather expensive.

wow camel meat!!!!

I will definitely check it out :p

I get the roo mince from the meat dept. at Woolies. Just bought 3kg at $7.29/kg. It is worth it though for my peace of mind. Only the best for my spoilt brats! I just went and checked out Big Dog too and they don't stock roo mince :shrug: . They do have roo tails. They have really good prices on all their meat & bones though. And the Barf Patties are cheaper than the Pet Store I was buying them from.

Found the link for you

Big Dog

Big Dog Pets are awesome.Great prices and very friendly service.

I buy minced meat from a pet store called Megapet Warehouse in Victoria. Not sure if it's a chain or not. They sell roo, rabbit, veal, chicken, beef, and puppy mince. (I'm sure it's not made from puppies though). :shrug:

ETA: Just googled and it seems there are 4 in Vic. No mention of other states though.

Me too, Mega Pet Warehouse

You Victorians sound spoilt! Bucket 'O' Beef sounds good too. Do they charge much to deliver? Mummys mix (meat,veg,eggs) ends up costing around $2.00/day to feed to my Poms so it is not really much in the grand scheme of things. Plus they get raw bones or RC dry for breakky.

Minced Chicken frames @ $0.70 kg.

Minced Lamb flaps @ $2.00 kg

From local butchers.

Chicken wings $ 2.20 kg (less on special)

Frames $ 5.00 for 10 kg box. Chicken from processors.

Lamb necks pack of 3 (1/2's) for $4.00

Lamb off cuts $ 1.50 - $ 2.00 kg - butchers.

I get rabbit from my local pet shop (ringwood, vic), unfortunately it's not a chain but the brand of rabbit mince is 'gourmet pet food' $3.95 a kilo. Good stuff!!! Or at the local safeway, roo mince (human stuff) is $4-$5 per kilo depending if you get on sale.

My dog is thriving on the rabbit coz it is not so rich!